Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:42 PM   #1
degas
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Apple TV or Airport Express

My second AE died. I don't need it for wireless - it just served as a way to stream music from mac and ipad to my receiver. My question is, can I do the same thing instead if I bought an Apple TV? Even if I don't have my tv on (I will usually access my iTunes and music through my computer)?
degas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Yes. Sort of.

The Apple TV needs to be set up on a television first and be connected to your LAN. And if you're just going to stream to your audio system there needs to be an optical input on the audio system in order to send audio to the Apple TV > audio system.

Not sure if the TV needs to be on though. I never tried that.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:45 PM   #3
mic j
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
My second AE died. I don't need it for wireless - it just served as a way to stream music from mac and ipad to my receiver. My question is, can I do the same thing instead if I bought an Apple TV? Even if I don't have my tv on (I will usually access my iTunes and music through my computer)?
Although it can be done (use an aTV for music streaming only), it is a PITA and requires at some point, being hooked to a tv to navigate it's setup screen. I would recommend the AE (I have both).
__________________
17" MBP '09, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; 13" MBP (Retina) '12, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM; iPad 2, 32GB; AE; TV 3; AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:58 PM   #4
degas
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Although it can be done (use an aTV for music streaming only), it is a PITA and requires at some point, being hooked to a tv to navigate it's setup screen. I would recommend the AE (I have both).

I should say that I don't mind setting it up with tv on - that's no problem. Re: Optical Audio - couldn't I just connect it to receiver via HDMI? Sorry if I'm not understanding things correctly.
degas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
I should say that I don't mind setting it up with tv on - that's no problem. Re: Optical Audio - couldn't I just connect it to receiver via HDMI? Sorry if I'm not understanding things correctly.
You could connect the HDMI to the receiver but when you do you are also disconnecting the feed to the Television. That might make the Apple TV not work properly since there wouldn't be any connection from the Apple TV to the Television.

If you're not going to use the Video part just get a new AE. But if I were you I'd wait if you can because the wireless devices are due up for a revision to 802.11c
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:04 PM   #6
degas
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
You could connect the HDMI to the receiver but when you do you are also disconnecting the feed to the Television. That might make the Apple TV not work properly since there wouldn't be any connection from the Apple TV to the Television.

If you're not going to use the Video part just get a new AE. But if I were you I'd wait if you can because the wireless devices are due up for a revision to 802.11c

My receiver is connected to the tv as well via hdmi and handles passing through(correct use?) so I should be ok with that. I would use the video aspect of the Apple TV as well, especially Netflix.
degas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:08 PM   #7
warvanov
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I think that people are overstating the problems associated with having an ATV to play music without the TV on.

An AppleTV can be set up with the TV on and still function with the TV off. If you have a receiver with HDMI then you can connect the ATV directly to the receiver, and then only turn the TV on when viewing video content. You shouldn't have any problems streaming music to the ATV regardless of whether the TV is on or not.
__________________
13" 2.3GHz MacBook Pro // 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini // iPhone 5
warvanov is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
My receiver is connected to the tv as well via hdmi and handles passing through(correct use?) so I should be ok with that. I would use the video aspect of the Apple TV as well, especially Netflix.
Well if that's the case. Get the Apple TV and connect it to the receiver. You're still going to need to set it up on the television first though.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:17 PM   #9
degas
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
degas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:30 PM   #10
NedFlanders
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
...Not sure if the TV needs to be on though. I never tried that.
When I want to stream audio but I dont want to turn on the TV, I grab my iPhone or iPad and open the remote app and choose the audio I want to play on the ATV...
__________________
iPhone 5, iPad 2, Apple TV 3
NedFlanders is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:48 PM   #11
slothrob
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
My second AE died. I don't need it for wireless - it just served as a way to stream music from mac and ipad to my receiver. My question is, can I do the same thing instead if I bought an Apple TV? Even if I don't have my tv on (I will usually access my iTunes and music through my computer)?
This is the way I use my aTV2 most of the time. I either go to iTunes and start a playlist, sending it to the aTV through Airplay, or I use the iOS app Remote to choose what I want from iTunes as I walk around the house.

I happen to have my aTV connected to my receiver by an optical cable, but that is just because I have an older receiver that doesn't do audio passthrough.

Works a charm, except that it will often stop playing after an hour or so. I then have to hit pause and play again and it restarts.
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple TV or AirPort Express? luigipirandelo Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Jul 19, 2013 01:32 AM
Apple TV with Airport Express daneelolivaw Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Mar 30, 2013 08:21 AM
AirPort Express & Apple TV joelstylin Apple TV and Home Theater 7 Feb 1, 2013 10:03 PM
Apple Airport Express SuperMiguel Mac Peripherals 3 Oct 1, 2012 08:10 PM
Apple TV and AirPort Express questions KanonKaare Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Jul 18, 2012 10:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC