Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Haha, now my name's on there twice, looks like I donated $50 altogether!

No worries, $25 is much much cheaper than forking out money on a new Mac so I can have the privilege of running Mountain Lion on a machine that has more horsepower to run the new resource intensive apps, unlike my MacBook 4,1 :) .... Which leads me onto an app name suggestion: Mac Unobsolete!

Nice name :D. Ill choose one at the final stage.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
This is a disgrace. I have Lion (10.7.5) that is using memory like crazy, 4-5 GB of swap used just running Safari , Mail e little stuff, Mountain Lion that on the other hand would run smoothly apart from the GMA 950 kexts that are not fully operational. Still the HD videos play fine in ML and they stutter in Lion!!!!!

I feel like killing someone at Apple. They made a mess with Lion and once they fixed it they left us with unsupported systems with this garbage. Is there any chance someone could provide the GMA 950 kexts? Or at least the directions for fixing them (I am an IT engineer).

tpmcguire

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
My iCloud stopped working a few days ago. It keeps telling me to enter the password in system preferences, I tried to enter it and it gets stuck on waiting and waiting and waiting for a long time and then does not work. Anyone else having this issue?

Last day it worked was 12/13/12

Now even with other screen logins if you sign out of iCloud you can't sign back in.

I am on 10.8.2 but haven't installed the supplemental update 1.0.

I am on a MacPro1,1 with a HD5770

Last edited:

Srico

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Guys, I've come across a problem, when you get to Step 7 on the guide, I dont have "installablemachines.plist" and there seems to be a lot more on my pen drive when I restored the "base system.dmg". I have done this guide before but never run across the problem, and now the installer wont boot when i select it at startup. Ive repeated several times, and that hasnt done anything, going to to try again. I would post pictures, but TIFF not working. Ugh.

Srico

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
So I'm finished doing the steps again, get a prohibited sign as usual, the flash drive is the same one i used before, 8.2 GB, its worked fine, on the same computer. This really does suck :/. Appreciating any help. Or waiting for the auto app! :) Any suggestions Hackerwayne???

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
So it looks like I'll be coming into the possession of a 2006 Mac Pro with a Radeon 5770. From this guide I gather I should have 100% functionality? Have any of you guys done it with that specific machine? :apple:ImageMerry Christmas!

Yep, (functionality is ninety something%). Be interested to see how you get on. Before you start, run the FIPS test. Also what version of ML are you moving to?

Last edited:

noom

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
GT210 on mac pro1,1 can't hold down option key

Hi all,

I followed the instruction to make usb installation drive for ML and then when I tried to reboot while holding down option key to select usb drive, nothing shows up on my monitor. If I didn't press any keys, it will boot back to Lion with GT210 installed on the slot 2.

I swapped back to stock card 7300GT on slot 1, reboot it then hold down option key, now I can see the usb drive. That means my usb drive or usb port is work, nothing wrong.

My question is why I can't boot and hold down option key when using GT210 to select usb drive?.

I thought this card is the cheapest one that works with Mountain Lion regarding to the author's first post;

12. To get graphics working:

AMD 5770, 5870 (Stock cards), 6850, 6870 (PC flashed cards), ; Nvidia GT210, GTX285:
Nothing to be done, all works good.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jdmueller84

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
I have used this guide on my 2008 white Macbook 13.3 w X3100. I am noticing everything works perfectly except the display issues.

I have a lot of experience building hackintoshs and was wondering if anyone has tried using one of the sleepenabler.kexts that come with MultiBeast?

If I set prefs to not allow the comp to go to sleep or close the lid it stays on and works reliably. Brightness issue to me isn't that big of a deal... it is usable.

However, closing the lid and going to sleep/wake properly is a big deal. Anyone with any luck on the X3100 on the older Macbooks?

I am running a 2.4ghz w 2 F80 Corsair SSD in RAID0 and 2g Ram. I don't know why Apple stopped support for this machine because it works just as responsively as my MacAir which was purchased just before the new one was released with the USB 3.0.

jdmueller84

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
The guide is pretty easy to follow. If one can't figure it out then getting the right kexts for your system should prove difficult.

I just thought there would be more interest in the 13" Macbooks since that is of coarse the picture that starts this thread.

Who cares about the installer... what about getting the sleep/wake features working. If anyone really needs an installer they probably don't need to be trying this at all.

Without X3100 drivers working properly the entire purpose of this thread seems pointless to me. I don't see pics of mac pro at the top, they are 13" Macbooks. This thread is turning into a newbie guide to hackintoshing for people that can't hackintosh. We need drivers.

jdmueller84

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
47 Pages of jibber jabber and no solution to the X3100 notebook drivers working. For all the other graphics and mac pro questions spend some time on the osx86 forums. I thought the focus here was preserving the hardware that JUST RECENTLY became obsolete and unsupported by Apple. I see 13" Macbooks at the top of the screen. What is the purpose of this thread now?

Srico

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
47 Pages of jibber jabber and no solution to the X3100 notebook drivers working. For all the other graphics and mac pro questions spend some time on the osx86 forums. I thought the focus here was preserving the hardware that JUST RECENTLY became obsolete and unsupported by Apple. I see 13" Macbooks at the top of the screen. What is the purpose of this thread now?
The focal point of this thread is always demonstrated in the update section on post 1. The "47 pages of jibberjabber" are questions regarding this thread and updates of the updates. You really should be grateful Hackerwayne has come this far, and has solved the many problems that he has. I am sure the majority agrees.

Nemesis19

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
The focal point of this thread is always demonstrated in the update section on post 1. The "47 pages of jibberjabber" are questions regarding this thread and updates of the updates. You really should be grateful Hackerwayne has come this far, and has solved the many problems that he has. I am sure the majority agrees.

totally agree...and it's doing it for free...so be grateful, otherwise you can buy a new mac as Apple wants ;)

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2011
Am I right in saying that if I install this on a 2007 Mac mini with 2gb ram and. 2.0 dual core then I loose sound?

macusernumber9

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Booted on Mac 4,1 - Brightness Control Temp App

Macbook brightness issue can be temporarily reduced using Brightness Control for Mac for 10.8 GMA X3100

Get this app download
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10429/brightness-control

Brightness Control not working
Initial Display brightness was normal and it become very bright when meddling with the brightness control on the function keys after reboot.

My Set a Macbook 13inch Early 2008 Mac 4,1 (Followed Sveto #322)
Installed 10.8 using compatible mac to an external drive with 2 partition - empty partition drive for Mac 10.8 and other volume MacOSX 10.7.5 already installed. Once installed and moved hard drive back into the Macbook 4,1.
Boot to 10.7.5 and using Hackerwayne hackedmountainlion files and Ktext Utility. It booted fine finally with sound and except Launchpad very slow to launch. Dock Icon cannot be removed by dragging out, only possibility is to do a manual remove from dock. Cannot see AirPlay though.

Many Thanks and Salute to all involved for able to run ML for older mac~!

Attachments

• 10.8 Mac4,1.png
    10.8 Mac4,1.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 118

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2011
I also noticed this has to be installed on a 20gb partition .. Can that be removed afterwards and the whole disk used as ML so lion is deleted?

brandoncarr

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
As far as the Mac Pro's are concerned, is there any way around the 8GB RAM limitation? My system has 32GB of RAM, and I'm not willing to give that up, lol.

cocapic

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Guys, I've come across a problem, when you get to Step 7 on the guide, I dont have "installablemachines.plist" and there seems to be a lot more on my pen drive when I restored the "base system.dmg". I have done this guide before but never run across the problem, and now the installer wont boot when i select it at startup. Ive repeated several times, and that hasnt done anything, going to to try again. I would post pictures, but TIFF not working. Ugh.

Same issue as you, did you find a solution ?

seb

satiro91

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
So,
the x3100 on Macbook 4,1 is fully compatible?
But i will lost sleep and brightness control, allright?
If i close the lid, what will happen?

Srry for bad english.

jdmueller84

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
I used sleepenabler.kext from osx86 and it causes kernal panics on boot.

Macbook 4,1 2.4gig 10.8.2

So anytime you shut the notebook or use sleep the os acts all weird and usually I have to restart it after I unplug and remove battery

----------

So,
the x3100 on Macbook 4,1 is fully compatible?
But i will lost sleep and brightness control, allright?
If i close the lid, what will happen?

Srry for bad english.

No, X3100 is not. My sleep issues make the OS unusable. If I can't figure it out I will go back to 10.7. I am amazed at the lack of progress on this. I know everyone talks about yea its free but seems like no one else is trying to figure it out.

The brightness control is also not supported. Anytime the computer shuts or goes to sleep you have to unplug it and cold reset and restart it. You loose any work you are doing, etc. It is far away from being 100% in my eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.