Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:46 PM   #1
ppcg4mac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Somewhere Else
iOS 4.2.1 apps

Does anyone know of some apps that are still compatible with iOS 4.2.1 and the 2nd generation iPod touch. I recently had to wipe mine and restart from a old backup. All I have on it now is Opera and Pandora (the only 2 apps that were on it at the backup time. Now that iOS 6 is out it seems that every app is for iOS 4.3 or 5+. Any help would be appreciated.
__________________

iPod Touch 2g 16 GB, Dell Optiplex 755, Pentium 3 "Server", Whatever the library runs.
ppcg4mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis
You're not going to have any luck.

Apple allows two ways to run apps on your device:

1) You are required to maintain your own database of local app backups along with a revision history (just in case an update is released that removes support for your device).

2) You keep buying the latest device.

Apple knows most people won't bother with #1.

Me? I'm going with #1. I do have my own local database and app repository, complete with changelogs.
I didn't start it in time to save apps compatible with iOS 3.x, 4.0.x, or 4.1, but I have many 4.2.1 and 4.3.x apps backed up.
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:41 PM   #3
glsillygili
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
if u do jailrbeak u can fix the app door
glsillygili is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:29 PM   #4
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
You'll have to google for ipa's.
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 02:03 AM   #5
Solver
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Jose
Look for vintapps in the Apple app store. It is made for finding the early apps.
Solver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 07:29 AM   #6
glsillygili
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcg4mac View Post
Does anyone know of some apps that are still compatible with iOS 4.2.1 and the 2nd generation iPod touch. I recently had to wipe mine and restart from a old backup. All I have on it now is Opera and Pandora (the only 2 apps that were on it at the backup time. Now that iOS 6 is out it seems that every app is for iOS 4.3 or 5+. Any help would be appreciated.
i think its time to get a new ipod or maybe a android even GG
glsillygili is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcg4mac View Post
Does anyone know of some apps that are still compatible with iOS 4.2.1 and the 2nd generation iPod touch. I recently had to wipe mine and restart from a old backup. All I have on it now is Opera and Pandora (the only 2 apps that were on it at the backup time. Now that iOS 6 is out it seems that every app is for iOS 4.3 or 5+. Any help would be appreciated.
You can't do much other than, as the others stated,

- install a well-known pirate JB tweak (allowing for installing IPA's from any source, with any signature) and Google for IPA's. Probably this is the best way for you NOW as you haven't backed up your old IPA's, that is, you can't go the "let's restore an old IPA from my local archive" way (third bullet below).

- use apps discovering apps in the AppStore still compatible with your handset. This won't help much in finding a specific app - only generic ones. You may have luck in running into an app that at least partly resembles the app you're looking for.

- maintain your own IPA archive.

Apple is pretty greedy and, in Sep/2012, have rendered even models that were actively in Apple Stores up to late Sep/2010 completely incompatible with new apps.

This (greed and the accompanying let's-screw-up-customers approach) is one of the worst things I really despise in Apple. Google is allowing for devs upload apps compatible even with the earliest (2008) Android versions. Apple could easily do the same but no - they want you to upgrade your hardware.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 03:52 AM   #8
mackerm
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Apple is pretty greedy and, in Sep/2012, have rendered even models that were actively in Apple Stores up to late Sep/2010 completely incompatible with new apps.

This (greed and the accompanying let's-screw-up-customers approach) is one of the worst things I really despise in Apple. Google is allowing for devs upload apps compatible even with the earliest (2008) Android versions. Apple could easily do the same but no - they want you to upgrade your hardware.
I heard about this about a month ago and have been doing a lot of reading to get to the bottom of it. I found an article which basically backs up what you're saying: http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/03/...as-of-may-1st/

However, in the middle of the article, it notes "some hacky methods" which allow developers to make apps compatible with older devices. I've made a search tool for finding compatible apps, and I can verify there are new apps in the iTunes store which are compatible with the iPod Touch 2G, which say "optimized for iPhone 5" and show the tall screen in the preview pages. Apparently developers have refined those "hacky methods." I really hope somebody makes an up-to-date eBook reader.

Here's my tool for finding apps which are compatible with older devices:
iOSSearch: Find games and apps for 1st and 2nd generation iPod Touch, iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2.1 and 3.1.3

Last edited by mackerm; Sep 9, 2013 at 01:13 AM.
mackerm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:36 AM   #9
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackerm View Post
However, in the middle of the article, it notes "some hacky methods" which allow developers to make apps compatible with older devices.

Great find, thanks! (Too bad it's pretty complicated and, consequently, very few devs will do what's explained there.)
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:59 PM   #10
ppcg4mac
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Somewhere Else
Smile

I havent been on here in a while (a combo of school and depression)
and i found this...
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/17/a...one-ipod-ipad/
it works for me so far!
__________________

iPod Touch 2g 16 GB, Dell Optiplex 755, Pentium 3 "Server", Whatever the library runs.
ppcg4mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:42 PM   #11
Liebo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcg4mac View Post
I havent been on here in a while (a combo of school and depression)
and i found this...
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/17/a...one-ipod-ipad/
it works for me so far!
This was reported here too
Liebo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 05:34 PM   #12
tomtanojevic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: melbourne
Exclamation

you guys no that when u go in the app store u can download older versions of apps. follow the instructions in this link! http://www.infoq.com/news/2013/09/pr...rsion-ios-apps


enjoy

tomtanojevic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 01:01 PM   #13
ppcg4mac
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Somewhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebo View Post
This was reported here too
I must of missed that, but then im not on here much anymore.
__________________

iPod Touch 2g 16 GB, Dell Optiplex 755, Pentium 3 "Server", Whatever the library runs.
ppcg4mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 07:11 PM   #14
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtanojevic View Post
you guys no that when u go in the app store u can download older versions of apps. follow the instructions in this link! http://www.infoq.com/news/2013/09/pr...rsion-ios-apps


enjoy

Seems like that's what the last few prior replies have already mentioned.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP- Want to learn how to code ios apps /create iphone apps jaalle iPhone/iPad Programming 12 Jan 27, 2014 11:35 PM
iOS 7 Beta Suggests iWork, iLife iOS Apps May Soon Be Free MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 165 Sep 10, 2013 07:08 PM
iPhone: Change plist.info to force install iOS 6 apps on iOS 5.1.1 ? rak007 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 9 Mar 14, 2013 07:45 AM
Tools for developing IOS apps - Impact on native IOS developers spilakalb iPhone/iPad Programming 9 Oct 19, 2012 10:55 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC