Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030
 
wrinkster22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Grossest/Weirdest thing seen on public transit:

I like probably most of you am forced to ride public transport (At least) 2 times a day, 5 times a week, 50 weeks of the year. And durring this time I have seen so many disgusting things and weird people. Post the grossest/weirdest thing you have ever seen and the system (eg: TTC, Tube, L, etc), line(Bloor/danforth, line 3, brown line), and vehicle

System: TTC
Line: Yonge Line
Vehicle: Subway
Gross: Yesterday at Ossgoode station was a peace of poop lying in the middle of the platform. Nobody seemed to care but me and it was tracked EVERYWHERE.

System: TTC
Line: Bloor/Danforth
Vehicle: Subway
Gross: A few months ago vomit was all over royal york station near the westbound stair case. A bunch of people almost walked in it.

Feel free to rant.
__________________
macbook air 2011 ultimate, iPhone 5 16gb rogers, iPad mini retina 32gb, iPod shuffle product red (newest)
wrinkster22 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:35 PM   #2
yg17
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
On a NJ Transit train, the toilet in the train started leaking and a puddle of piss started growing longer and longer. Everyone moved to the opposite end of the train, but so did the puddle as time went on. Took some amazing contortion to get out of that train without stepping in it.
__________________
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus.
yg17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Seattle's former ride free zone: Most of downtown was, for about forty years, free to ride the bus within. Bus tends to attract an interestingly diverse crowd anyway, free bus even more so. It was not uncommon to witness fellow riders, taking advantage of the fareless trip, taking part in all manner of activities but for the sake of this story, also in the unexpected throes of passion. Unexpected to me in that the bus doesn't ordinarily strike me as the first place one would choose to physically express love for another, but that's just one guy's opinion.

The most memorable example of this was one afternoon, on a full to capacity bus, a couple sat across the aisle from me. The male was small, scrawny and sickly looking. The woman, large in all directions and sickly sounding. I couldn't tell if they were sweating or just greasy. She was ranting, furiously, in Spanish, while doing her best to manage a case of over-expectoration in the form of a lot of SNOooOoRK-gulping. The only other rest she took from her impassioned monologue involved grabbing hold of her diminutive male associate and, complete with smackly snork gulping noises, mugging him down. Hard. He would disappear entirely save the arms wrapped around the woman's torso, and did not make a sound. It was such a publicly profound intersection of lust, fury and disease that I could not look away.

These days I ride my bike to work.
Orange Crane is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:02 PM   #4
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
40 years ago someone decided it was a good idea to carpet the floors of the BART. You can figure out the rest.
mobilehaathi is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816
 
Zombie Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Ride the TTC 5 days a week ~1.5 hours a day. The grossest three incidents I remember:

a) an old person had diahrea all over a bus seat, covered it with a newspaper and then an Asian sat on it even though people told him not to (probably wished he would have spoke English at that point).

b) a homeless person was on the subway with 5 trash bags, people were literally jumping carts at stops to get out of that cart. It smelled like the worst mix of alcohol and cat piss you have ever smelled.

c) a homeless guy fell asleep on the 24 bus when I used to take that route, the driver said he had been riding around the loop a couple of time and he was literally clearing out the front of the bus, sleeping the whole time.
__________________
--2.6 C2Q 4gb DDR3 GTX 260-Win 7--
--2.0 CE Macbook Alum-Leopard--
Zombie Acorn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:30 PM   #6
184550
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2008
Rather discouraging the number of feces stories on public transit.

Put me down for the seemingly typical feces/ vomit stories courtesy of the DC metro system.
184550 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:31 PM   #7
wrinkster22
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
wrinkster22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
Rather discouraging the number of feces stories on public transit.

Put me down for the seemingly typical feces/ vomit stories courtesy of the DC metro system.
Aw come one share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Ride the TTC 5 days a week ~1.5 hours a day. The grossest three incidents I remember:

a) an old person had diahrea all over a bus seat, covered it with a newspaper and then an Asian sat on it even though people told him not to (probably wished he would have spoke English at that point).
I feel really bad for that man :/
I also feel bad for the people who clean the cars. Got to love the TTC!

Keep the stories coming, they make me laugh
__________________
macbook air 2011 ultimate, iPhone 5 16gb rogers, iPad mini retina 32gb, iPod shuffle product red (newest)
wrinkster22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:01 PM   #8
Kashchei
macrumors 65816
 
Kashchei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Meat Space
Send a message via MSN to Kashchei Send a message via Yahoo to Kashchei Send a message via Skype™ to Kashchei
I only have a four-stop commute on MARTA, but it is common to see the homeless using the cars as a place to crash for a time. I have not seen anything gross, but I sure have smelled it. The most disgusting thing I have seen was actually a white man using the n-word frequently in a rant. He was surrounded by African-Americans and his intent was clearly to upset them at the very least. To the crowd's credit, no one took the bait.
__________________
Hungry enough to touch your frightened face
Kashchei is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:22 PM   #9
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
I like probably most of you am forced to ride public transport (At least) 2 times a day, 5 times a week, 50 weeks of the year. And durring this time I have seen so many disgusting things and weird people. Post the grossest/weirdest thing you have ever seen and the system (eg: TTC, Tube, L, etc), line(Bloor/danforth, line 3, brown line), and vehicle

System: TTC
Line: Yonge Line
Vehicle: Subway
Gross: Yesterday at Ossgoode station was a peace of poop lying in the middle of the platform. Nobody seemed to care but me and it was tracked EVERYWHERE.

System: TTC
Line: Bloor/Danforth
Vehicle: Subway
Gross: A few months ago vomit was all over royal york station near the westbound stair case. A bunch of people almost walked in it.

Feel free to rant.
This is part of the reason I left Toronto. It is not what it was 20 years ago. You would never seen this. I rode the subway for over 10 years in the 70's and they were pretty clean except for the odd bit of paper here or there. What you describe is gross ( please do not take that personally ), it has nothing to do with you. I moved to a small town out west and never miss Toronto. I travel there every couple of years to visit my family and always look forward to getting back home.
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:26 PM   #10
wrinkster22
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
wrinkster22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
This is part of the reason I left Toronto. It is not what it was 20 years ago. You would never seen this. I rode the subway for over 10 years in the 70's and they were pretty clean except for the odd bit of paper here or there. What you describe is gross ( please do not take that personally ), it has nothing to do with you. I moved to a small town out west and never miss Toronto. I travel there every couple of years to visit my family and always look forward to getting back home.
No offence taken, it not like I have a love affair with it or something, its just something I have to use For a while I used to carry a container of lysol wipes with me and wipe down the surface I had to touch, but the awkward stares and peer pressure made me stop Anywho it seems that nothing ever gets done despite all the grandious plans every mayor and director has. Andy Byford the new chairmen seems pretty promising.
Did you hear that TTC has plans to to put those doors between the platform and track to avoid people getting pushed? It seems like a good idea especailly with stations like Eglinton where there is not even a meter between the wall and train.
//End rant/
__________________
macbook air 2011 ultimate, iPhone 5 16gb rogers, iPad mini retina 32gb, iPod shuffle product red (newest)
wrinkster22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:33 PM   #11
blevins321
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg MB
A naked homeless man on the ground in front of the train at 2am in NYC. He was asleep sprawled out in the DaVinci position. My friend ran and woke him up because we were afraid he was dead.
__________________
Late 2013 15" Retina MBP; iPhone 5S; iPad Air
blevins321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:19 AM   #12
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
No offence taken, it not like I have a love affair with it or something, its just something I have to use For a while I used to carry a container of lysol wipes with me and wipe down the surface I had to touch, but the awkward stares and peer pressure made me stop Anywho it seems that nothing ever gets done despite all the grandious plans every mayor and director has. Andy Byford the new chairmen seems pretty promising.
Did you hear that TTC has plans to to put those doors between the platform and track to avoid people getting pushed? It seems like a good idea especailly with stations like Eglinton where there is not even a meter between the wall and train.
//End rant/
It is ashame to see that it has come to this. The TTC used to be one of the pride and joys of Toronto. And the Go Train was even more awesome. But it has been awhile since Toronto has had a good mayor IMO that I think really cares about the city. Are there really that many pushes onto the tracks that they require bars? Bloor Street & Union Station used to be the bad ones. But bad in the good old days was nothing compared to what you are saying. I lived in Toronto for 20 years but have been away now for close to 20. My darling wife used the Go Train to go to work downtown from our condo by the zoo and she loved it. She also used the TTC and never seemed to have any problems. Oh how times have change.
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:58 AM   #13
Face Ache
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oz
A crazy guy tried to push me overboard on a Sydney Harbour ferry.

I punched him and he left to pick on someone else - someone who had watched my struggle and did nothing to help. When the crazy guy started picking on New Guy, New Guy started giving me imploring looks. I smiled and waved.*

Four cops were waiting for McNutter when we docked at Circular Quay.



*Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.
Face Ache is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:08 AM   #14
kylera
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
Here in Seoul, we fortunately have clean public transportation, but occasionally there are a few incidents.

One night, I was heading home and got on a bus. I noticed how everyone was standing in the front half and there was no one sitting at a certain section. I took a peek and turns out someone puked there big time.

On a different weekend night, there was a guy standing next to the subway door, but he suddenly jerked a bit to the front and grabbed his mouth. When the train stopped, he bolted, but unfortunately leaving a trail of vomit.
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:21 AM   #15
Ann P
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Thank goodness I've only had use public transit all but two times. Never sat down anywhere. =X
Ann P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:34 AM   #16
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Sheldon Cooper has the right idea. Bus pants!

One day I was on a packed commuter train when the couple being rather passionate opposite started to get a little noisier under his coat. It became apparent by her screaming that they were both having a really good time. When they eventually finished she straitened herself up and sat back down. She pulled out a cigarette and was about to light up when the lady opposite said, excuse me madam but this is a non smoking carriage!
__________________
Late 2012 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5, ITB FD, 16G RAM, 2 TB TC, iPhone 5 32GB, iPad Air 32G, iPad 4 32G, iPad 2 16G, ATV2, iPod touch 8G, Xbox 360 Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 24-70 14-24 60 10.5 mm (all 2.8)
Apple fanboy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:21 AM   #17
chrono1081
macrumors 604
 
chrono1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isla Nublar
This thread makes me scared to ever try public transit...
__________________
Mac Pro (2010): 3.33Ghz Intel Xeon (6 core) - 24 GB RAM - NVidia Quadro k5000
Macbook Air (2010): 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM
chrono1081 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:23 PM   #18
wrinkster22
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
wrinkster22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Snip
The problem is that they can't afford to do anything. They have more people in management then anything else and nothing gets done. The streetcar/lrt vs subway debate continues. Meanwhile a fortune is spent on ideas that never make it past a fancy model. The Toronto system is deplorable, there is no excuse for its state or size. The streetcars should be removed a changed back to lanes and subways should replace them. It costs a fortune but its an investment in the city. They should fire all the management and try to privatize section. I dont understand why each train needs 6 drivers when they could be automated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
snip
You are very lucky, I hear that Seoul has one of the cleanest metros in the world.
__________________
macbook air 2011 ultimate, iPhone 5 16gb rogers, iPad mini retina 32gb, iPod shuffle product red (newest)
wrinkster22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:55 PM   #19
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
The problem is that they can't afford to do anything. They have more people in management then anything else and nothing gets done. The streetcar/lrt vs subway debate continues. Meanwhile a fortune is spent on ideas that never make it past a fancy model. The Toronto system is deplorable, there is no excuse for its state or size. The streetcars should be removed a changed back to lanes and subways should replace them. It costs a fortune but its an investment in the city. They should fire all the management and try to privatize section. I dont understand why each train needs 6 drivers when they could be automated.


You are very lucky, I hear that Seoul has one of the cleanest metros in the world.
Our bus and LRT system in Edmonton is awesome. Biggest problem they really have is petty crime. But it is clean and I use it occasionally to go to a concert or sporting event. Well look after and not bloated with management as the TTC is. I do not know if privatizing is the answer. Probably better to force early retirement on management so more grunts can come work for them. Might help some? Or start handing out fines for littering and such. Or possibly hiring security company to oversee at least the crime aspect of it. Shame, TTC used to be so awesome when I was a teenager. Clean and little issues.
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:01 PM   #20
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
STM Public Transportation of Montreal

1. A random dude whipped out his penis and starting swirling it in the middle of the cart.

2. A douchebag decided to take a leak when there was about 10 of us in the cart
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:07 PM   #21
wrinkster22
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
wrinkster22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Snip
That opened in 1981 correct? Yeah I also have heard good stuff about it. I would like to say privatize privatize privatize but I realize that it needs a lot of money especailly with wheel trans losing 35 bucks a person (but thats another story) The problem is ttc starts wages at $27.50 and they can't be fired, have a grid pay system, and have the golden government pension. Fire them all and automate the h*ll out of the system
__________________
macbook air 2011 ultimate, iPhone 5 16gb rogers, iPad mini retina 32gb, iPod shuffle product red (newest)
wrinkster22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:24 PM   #22
malman89
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
All posts sound like anything seen on 5 years of the CTA - especially if you happen to hit a red line train at the Addison stop before/after a Cubs game or late at night.
__________________
Current Machine: Lenovo IdeaPad Z510

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:43 PM   #23
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
STM Public Transportation of Montreal

1. A random dude whipped out his penis and starting swirling it in the middle of the cart.

2. A douchebag decided to take a leak when there was about 10 of us in the cart
when you gotta go you gotta go.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:49 PM   #24
afireintonto
macrumors 6502a
 
afireintonto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland
Send a message via AIM to afireintonto
A few weeks ago on MARTA a man had started jerking it, and this was a very crowded cart; people were selling illegal DVD's minutes before. Anyways people started to notice shortly after i did -_-
i changed carts at the stop because it was getting too wild after people started yelling at the man. he was probably drunk, although it was only about 6 o'clock pm.
__________________
Macbook Air 13":iPad 2:iPhone 5:tv
afireintonto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:58 PM   #25
sim667
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I saw a man try and do a poo in a carrier bag whilst holding a can of special brew in his other hand whilst on a tube train at a station. True story.
__________________
Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, G4 Powerbook, iPad 4, iPhone 5, 2X TV, Nikon D800, ACSP Trained - Photography and Mac tech
Music and UK festival Blog
sim667 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weirdest thing: Clip-on fan makes iMac's keyboard not working Robertus iMac 7 Jul 8, 2013 11:16 PM
Public transit stops not available in Google Maps? ddublu iOS 6 4 Dec 14, 2012 12:44 AM
So... what's the status of public transit apps? ravenvii iOS 6 3 Nov 22, 2012 06:21 PM
iOS 6 public transit chadf652 iOS 6 7 Sep 20, 2012 05:59 AM
When will Apple Maps get public transit features? saintforlife iOS 6 5 Sep 18, 2012 06:45 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC