Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Apple's QC is just fine. A couple of thousand units in non-perfect condition out of the total number of units sold/manufactured is pretty good. You can't get 100% perfect, it's impossible. But it's the people with problems who are the loudest.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Apple's QC is just fine. A couple of thousand units in non-perfect condition out of the total number of units sold/manufactured is pretty good. You can't get 100% perfect, it's impossible. But it's the people with problems who are the loudest.

This.

If anything it's superior to most everyone, they are just held to a higher "perfect" standard.

If it's unacceptable to anyone, DONT BUY ONE (especially over and over). But the 5 is so darn fabulous I can't blame you. The fact that people can't vote with their wallet is why no companies BOTHER to improve. Companies don't care about your feelings, they care about your $$$$!!!!

Even that being true, they should stop pretending like a mm "scuff" does anything negative except set off their OCD. It doesn't effect resale... Mainly because EVERY phone has teeny tiny imperfections. Show me a truly "perfect" new or used phone??? Not gonna happen.

Prove me wrong. Bet you can't. And if you haven't found your phone's imperfection yet, you just aren't looking hard enough...

Enjoy the phone FFS. It's phenomenal!

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
This.

If anything it's superior to most everyone, they are just held to a higher "perfect" standard.

If it's unacceptable to anyone, DONT BUY ONE (especially over and over). But the 5 is so darn fabulous I can't blame you. The fact that people can't vote with their wallet is why no companies BOTHER to improve. Companies don't care about your feelings, they care about your $$$$!!!!

Even that being true, they should stop pretending like a mm "scuff" does anything negative except set off their OCD. It doesn't effect resale... Mainly because EVERY phone has teeny tiny imperfections. Show me a truly "perfect" new or used phone??? Not gonna happen.

Prove me wrong. Bet you can't. And if you haven't found your phone's imperfection yet, you just aren't looking hard enough...

Enjoy the phone FFS. It's phenomenal!

Go take a look at the thread that has all the photos of the cosmetic damage people received on their phones out of the box and then we can revisit this discussion. Otherwise, it's moot. You wouldn't accept a lot of those devices and neither should the person that actually paid for the phone. No phone is perfect, this is true. But I've never encountered an issue like what I've experienced with the iPhone 5 with an LG, Samsung, or Motorola device. But yes, that doesn't make the iPhone 5 any less great. Maybe it's just me, but receiving a "new" cosmetically damaged phone right out of the box kills the thrill for me a bit. And I'm one of the non-OCD members here.

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
Agree with itjw and Chris. I just can't live with a "brand new" phone that has scratches/scuffs on it. Few people argued on the forum that those scratches are not that noticeable, and can be only seen with a magnifier. To me, it's not the noticeability, it's the feeling. iphone is like the lamborghini of the phones. The phone worths $700+ itself. It's like your bought a lamborghini with scratches on it. I do not have a magnifier at home, and I could see those scratches.

Asc3nsion

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Agree with itjw and Chris. I just can't live with a "brand new" phone that has scratches/scuffs on it. Few people argued on the forum that those scratches are not that noticeable, and can be only seen with a magnifier. To me, it's not the noticeability, it's the feeling. iphone is like the lamborghini of the phones. The phone worths $700+ itself. It's like your bought a lamborghini with scratches on it. I do not have a magnifier at home, and I could see those scratches.

I'm with you.. It's not that it is scratched for me, it's that the thing is scratched out of the box.

I know that it will get scratched but WTH I just paid a lot of money for it and it should be new when it is received. My phone had two nicks on it out of the box and also the sim card tray is crooked. One side is flush and the other isn't. Really poor QC IMO. I had a 3gs forever and was so happy to finally upgrade. The iPhone 5 is a phenomenal phone but the BS about it not being a 100% out of the box is a kind of disappointing.

Asc3nsion

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
exchanged phone today..

I brought back my iphone that had several bubble in the aluminum plating and the sim card that wasn't flush. One side of sim slot noticeably poked out a bit. They exchanged it. The one out of the box is 98% good. I am going to live with it from here on out. That part will be covered anyhow. Now I don't have to worry about the sim card poking out and not allowing the case lay flat. Also no longer have two marks at top of phone between glass and frame. They must be taking back quite a few of these phones. They are going to have to fix the plating process because this is going to cost them a lot of money.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I brought back my iphone that had several bubble in the aluminum plating and the sim card that wasn't flush. One side of sim slot noticeably poked out a bit. They exchanged it. The one out of the box is 98% good. I am going to live with it from here on out. That part will be covered anyhow. Now I don't have to worry about the sim card poking out and not allowing the case lay flat. Also no longer have two marks at top of phone between glass and frame. They must be taking back quite a few of these phones. They are going to have to fix the plating process because this is going to cost them a lot of money.

That's good news. Glad it worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.