Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:11 AM   #1
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Using iPhone 5 unlimited data SIM in iPad mini

I found this article on the web. I would like to try it but am afraid that I will lose my unlimited plan if I'm found out. HAs anyone tried to do this? Any negative results. What I want to do is set my phone to forward all of my phone calls to my work cell, then install the iPhone 5 sim in my iPad mini to get unlimited data on that device.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:17 PM   #2
pooleman
macrumors 65816

625 views but no responses. Ugh. Depressing.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:21 PM   #3
cpc12
macrumors member

There gonna lock you up...
cpc12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:29 PM   #4
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc12 View Post
There gonna lock you up...
Lock me up for what?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:34 PM   #5
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

I wouldn't risk it. Unlimited plan is more valuable than gold. Violation of the contract will give them an excuse to terminate your plan which AT&T would love to do.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:35 PM   #6
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

It works. I use to use my iphone sim in my mini.. Now I added a dumb phone line with data ($10 + $10 unlimited data and get full browsing / on the go FaceTime on my Verizon ipad
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:55 AM   #7
Jnardis
macrumors 6502a

I swap my AT&T unlimited data with my Verizon ipad mini and it worked fine except I couldn't get lte service. It was only 3G.
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:45 PM   #8
pooleman
macrumors 65816

I want to do it but I don't want to get F*CKED by AT&T and have my unlimited taken away.
pooleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Quazimojo
macrumors regular

This is a situation where even if someone tells you it is OK to do it and there will be no problems i still would not believe 100% it is OK unless you get it from the horses mouth.

Some people have good luck and well you know the other side to that so it is of course 50/50 whether they catch on to what you are doing.

Since they state you cannot do it i guess that is there way of telling you not to or rather you can but do not let us catch you which of course can possibly happen.

If your unlimited plan means the world to you then i would say do not do it period as others have said AT&T is just looking for excuses to kick people off the unlimited plans already.
Quazimojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 01:36 AM   #10
ron7624
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
625 views but no responses. Ugh. Depressing.
You didn't mention carrier info, but since your sig touts ATT I'm assuming..
Swapping sims with Verizon devices works like a champ. Not so with ATT.
I've tried putting my unlimited iPhone sim into my ATT rMini and the card is not recognized. I can't get it work. I've tried several times in the past year
Old Jun 22, 2014, 03:05 PM   #11
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron7624 View Post
You didn't mention carrier info, but since your sig touts ATT I'm assuming..
Swapping sims with Verizon devices works like a champ. Not so with ATT.
I've tried putting my unlimited iPhone sim into my ATT rMini and the card is not recognized. I can't get it work. I've tried several times in the past year
It's a bummer. I've been looking for an AT&T unlimited iPad plan for sale and they are SO expensive.
pooleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 03:40 PM   #12
ron7624
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
It's a bummer. I've been looking for an AT&T unlimited iPad plan for sale and they are SO expensive.
Yes they are. I have investigated heavily with the intention of buying one but the cost is absolutely out of sight. Fact is, I just don't need it. I honestly do not watch very many movies or am not on YouTube often. My kids are grown so I don't need to entertain them in the backseat either. So 2 grand for something I won't really use to its capacity is absurd. If I go over my 6 gigs one month, I'll just pay for it.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 03:49 PM   #13
Truefan31
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes they are. I have investigated heavily with the intention of buying one but the cost is absolutely out of sight. Fact is, I just don't need it. I honestly do not watch very many movies or am not on YouTube often. My kids are grown so I don't need to entertain them in the backseat either. So 2 grand for something I won't really use to its capacity is absurd. If I go over my 6 gigs one month, I'll just pay for it.

2 grand? That is a lot. We sell them for half of that. But yeah if you don't wanna worry about data the plan is perfect. 29.99 a month.
Truefan31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 04:10 PM   #14
ron7624
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truefan31 View Post
2 grand? That is a lot. We sell them for half of that. But yeah if you don't wanna worry about data the plan is perfect. 29.99 a month.
U are right. There is one plan I saw for 999, one for 1300, another for 1900 and still another for 2900. One of those plans had an iPad Air already set up that was part of the deal. Sorry, 2 grand was a generalization I shouldn't have made, but one grand is still too rich for me because I flat don't need it. Just want it lol.
When I started looking, I had cookie jared 600 dollars saving for an unlocked iPhone coming in Sept and I was willing to go that high, but I was disappointed to see that the plans going for that amount were the iPhone plans that wouldn't allow tethering and were shut down to a crawl at 5 gigs. I didn't know the difference at first and had to get it all straight in my head. You helped me figure it all out and I do appreciate your help. If I had one of those plans and wanted to sell it, I would ask what the market would bear also.
This plan is a blessing at any price for someone that doesn't have a way to connect in their living areas. This plan could be used to run your household computers, tv's and what have you. In that scenario it would pay for itself in a few months.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 04:23 PM   #15
Yakibomb
macrumors regular

Deleted

Last edited by Yakibomb; Jun 22, 2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Yakibomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 04:32 PM   #16
Truefan31
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
U are right. There is one plan I saw for 999, one for 1300, another for 1900 and still another for 2900. One of those plans had an iPad Air already set up that was part of the deal. Sorry, 2 grand was a generalization I shouldn't have made, but one grand is still too rich for me because I flat don't need it. Just want it lol.

When I started looking, I had cookie jared 600 dollars saving for an unlocked iPhone coming in Sept and I was willing to go that high, but I was disappointed to see that the plans going for that amount were the iPhone plans that wouldn't allow tethering and were shut down to a crawl at 5 gigs. I didn't know the difference at first and had to get it all straight in my head. You helped me figure it all out and I do appreciate your help. If I had one of those plans and wanted to sell it, I would ask what the market would bear also.

This plan is a blessing at any price for someone that doesn't have a way to connect in their living areas. This plan could be used to run your household computers, tv's and what have you. In that scenario it would pay for itself in a few months.

Yeah I'd say if u didn't want the att iPad plan but wanted unlimited you could try Verizon. From my knowledge a phone sim can be put into a iPad and get lte. The 3G is throttled though
Old Jun 22, 2014, 06:20 PM   #17
Vanilla Face
macrumors member

why not just create a hotspot?

Last edited by maflynn; Jul 2, 2014 at 04:33 AM.
Vanilla Face is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 01:38 PM   #18
bpeeps
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Face View Post
why not just create a hotspot?
I believe you can't create hotspots using ATT unlimited data, you have to switch to one of their mobile share or other data plans with hotspot to use the feature.
bpeeps is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 01:49 PM   #19
Vanilla Face
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
I believe you can't create hotspots using ATT unlimited data, you have to switch to one of their mobile share or other data plans with hotspot to use the feature.
That stinks.

Last edited by maflynn; Jul 2, 2014 at 04:31 AM.
Vanilla Face is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 02:37 PM   #20
Truefan31
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post

Yes that's why jb and tetherme is what I do.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 04:07 PM   #21
Kryckter
macrumors 6502

Yeah this has the potential to lose the unlimited. I dont think you are "supposed" to do the sim swapping. But so many people do. I like my unlimited so I will not be swapping it to another device anytime soon

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad