Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I have the normal candyshell. Took it of yesterday for the first time in a month. No honeycomb on mine.
Hi,

I just returned the Speck Candy Shell Flip case because I've read some comments that it is hard to remove as well as that it can leave a honey-comb effect on the back of the iPhone 5.

Have others found that the case is hard to remove and that it leaves a honey-comb effect on the back of the phone? Thanks! :)

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
Hi,

I just returned the Speck Candy Shell Flip case because I've read some comments that it is hard to remove as well as that it can leave a honey-comb effect on the back of the iPhone 5.

Have others found that the case is hard to remove and that it leaves a honey-comb effect on the back of the phone? Thanks! :)

The flip speck is the easiest one to remove. I can't comment on the honeycomb pattern because I have a spigen leather skin on the back

psypha

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
What's so amazing about how this case looks? I don't get it. I don't know why anyone would think that this case is appealing. It looks horrid and ugly. Makes an iPhone look like a damn toy phone but worse. Lmao SMH. Why make an iPhone look like crap?!?....just my .2......:p

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Thanks for the reply! Did you find it difficult to remove the case?
. It as bad as I thought. I just worked it out from the right side( without buttons). Just popped each corner out and it was fine. I had a speck fabshell which was a pain to remove. I returned it because the buttons are very hard to press on the fabshell.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Hi,

Actually its the easiest hardshell case to remove. As to the honey-comb effect it easily cleans with screen cleaner sprayed onto a micro cloth.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Hi, sorry for the huge post here. I was just wondering how all of your cases are treating your chamfered edges, are particles getting in and scratching it, or does it look like the day you put it in the case. I have OCD about scratches, so if you could please remove your case and tell me if your phone has developed any scratches from the case, thanks so much!

Like it a lot so far. The ru....Candyshell on, the the 5 still feels slim and light. Let me know if you have any questions.

I was able to find a white/gray Speck Candyshell at my local Target yesterday. Even the workers did not know it was there. It will say "New iPhone" on it. Good luck!

I like the case a lot so far. I've never had a candy shell before so I don't know what to compare It to but I have the speck candy shell flip for the I5 and so

If anyone is interested here is a few pics of my iPhone 5 in the black and slate Candyshell. Sorry for the poor quality pics, taken with iPad:

I got one from Best Buy. When I first got there they claimed they were out of everything except pink. Afterwards I noticed an entire unopened box marked "Speck" sitting on the desk in the Mobile section of the store. I went back and asked if so

picked up a black one at Futureshop yesterday before picking up my phone. Fits like a glove, no flash issues from what I can tell. My phone nd lightning cable. All in all its a nice and protective case.

If any of you are interested I have video reviews and up close looks of both the CandyShell and CandyShell Grip cases for the new iPhone 5 on my channel. Just look at my sig below.

Hope this helps :)

Case fits great, a little bulky in my opinion for the phone, but my chief complaint is that it scratches way to easy. Had it for about 2 hours, had it in the car and in my pocked for a bit and realize that there are clearly visible scratches.

Got mine at Target and then the CandyShell Grip at AT&T store for the overpriced markup of $38!

These cases will show scratches if you get darker colors, the lighter colors hide fingerprints and scratches pretty well.

Best Buy has lots of Speck candyshell cases. Bought a black one and liking it alot. I'm thinking of ordering the satin version and if I like it, I'll return the regular candyshell.

Picked up the Blue/Orange model at Best Buy last night. They had a pretty good inventory.

They had the red and black one at the AT&T store. I grabbed it while I was doing my SIM swap. They were also giving 25% of accessories including JamBox speakers if you are into those.

Love mine - white/grey on white iPhone

Speck Candyshell does not appear to scuff the black iPhone 5. I took mine off and put it back on a few times to test this. I would recommend this case to anyone looking to keep their antenna free of scuffs.

This case is incredible. Blew me away when I took one out of the package at Best Buy. The build quality and precision here is the best I've ever seen Speck do.

Here's my "nekkid" iPhone 4S next to my CandyShell'd iPhone 5. My ruler shows the case at 11mm thin. Happy customer here!

I got the white/grey one and I like it. It's still pretty light and I didn't find any scuffing when I took it out and put it back in 3 times.

aside from the nicks that came on the phone from new there has been no new damage from the case from installing it or taking it off. I just did an inspection again now...same as friday when installed, no new damages

Agreed about the scratching, though I hardly notice it on my white Candyshell. On my red one, yeah it's a little beat up.

They've already come out with a matte version. It's called the Candyshell Satin.
4/4S: http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-4-case/candyshell-satin-for-iphone-4s-4.html
5: http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-5-cases/candyshell-satin-for-iphone-5.html

My main one was black. It looked horrid pretty quick.
That matte looks awesome. In the 4S I need the flip though because of my Pioneer adapter in my car. The 5 this likely wont be a problem though so this is very enticing to me.
Thanks for the link!

just picked up the harbor/coral color from best buy. should look good with my white 32gb that I'm getting tomorrow :]

I was able to find a white/grey one at my local corporate AT&T store. Might want to try there.

I haven't taken the satin out of the box yet (put the regular candyshell on) but leave that with me and I'll get back to you with pics and thoughts later today.

Fed ex priority I was charged $18.16 (roughly £11.25 according to XE) and didn't appear to get charged for anything other than delivery & cases.

And I ordered Friday afternoon arrived Tuesday morning.

Hope that's helpful :p

Edit: Just tried it on the phone doesn't feel too bulky, there is a bit of bulk but only from what expect from candyshells feels quite smooth with a little grippy-ness but not that slight slipery feel like the glossy candyshell feels quite nice.

Photo's taken with iPad so they aren't the best quality but you get a good idea :) :

and the purple if anyone is interested:

Doesn't appear to be any scuffing/scratching (not that I expected any) to the black iPhone so thats a good plus :)

Try the candy shell grip :). I got a purple and black one, and it has rubber inlays, so the scratch able parts of the back never touch anything. It feels really awesome and fits like a glove.

Wife got the white/black one for her white iPhone and it look/feels great. I have a black and the only one I would consider is the blue/white. I want a different color around the front bezel so it looks better than just black.

Does anyone have the blue/white on a black iPhone? pics please.

This thread talked me into get the Speck Candyshell so I did. :D I cancelled the Incipio Shine (black) from MacMall. I picked up the red color from the AT&T store, and it looks really hot. The case does scratch very easily, but I guess I'll try to be careful.

For those who are wondering, the headphone jack is decent size, and it it should most headphone jacks. I couldn't fit my Shure headphones jack before with the Apple bumper, but now I can. Thanks guys for suggesting this case.

Sorry I don't know how to embed images to this post but here's the link in case you want to see how the red case looks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwanlui/sets/72157631634191279/with/8029169612/

I just got my Speck Candyshell Satin in black today. I love this case because it doesnt show scratches like my glossy black one and no fingerprints at all. The lock button is a lot easier to push too. Looks great on the black ip5!

I had a Speck Candyshell on my 3GS, and just got one for my iphone 5. Here are my findings:

Pros:

1. Great protection from drops. The rubber inside seems like it will absorb impact shock, and the lip will help for face drops.

2. Attractive imo. Really clean design and good construction. Fits well with the iphone design.

Cons:

1. Will scratch your phone over time. It's either the rubber or particles getting in between the rubber and the phone. The edges of my 3GS ended up scratched all over with the shell on. While the new case for the 5 seems to have a new rubber, I wouldn't trust this case for the following reason:

2. The fit for getting your phone in and out is TOO TIGHT. While this provides a great fit if you just leave the phone in there forever, I am sure that ingress and egress is damaging the buttons (power, volume, rocker). While it can take so much damage, one time is all it takes to ruin one. The tight fit also makes for scratches. I have put my 5 in twice, and removed it twice so far without problems. But I am not confident about the long run.

3. The speck case itself is highly prone to scratches. It's only been 2 days and the back as hairline scratches all over. If anything like my 3GS case, it will also scuff and dull over time. The bottom lip on my 3GS ripped down the middle as well.

overall I don't recommend the speck case. It's designed to protect your phone, but seems to introduce more damage. If you don't mind scratches, then go for it. I think it provides great drop protection. I dropped it once getting out of my car, and it slid on a gravel road. No damage whatsoever from the road.

I got the Candyshell Satin Black/Slate for myself and the Speck Smartflex Card in Malachite for my wife. This is my first Speck case but my wife has had a few Candyshell cases for her 3GS. I always thought they were great cases. The only issue she ran into with the old ones was the edge around the 30-pin connector breaking after a while. The iPhone 5 cases have a much shorter bridge now between the two sides and it is not as thin so I don't think this will be an issue with the new ones.

I don't really care if it get scratched up eventually. I don't buy a case under the assumption that it will last the life of the phone. I buy a case that takes a beating and gets scratched up so my phone doesn't bare the abuse.

Funny thing is that both of the iP5 cases I got from Speck, (ordered them the day they became available on their website), are now on backorder.

I have a Speck Candyshell Grip Red/Black on my Black iPhone 5. I really like the case and the grippyness of it... but it is kind of bulky and hides the beauty of the iPhone. Also... even though the packaging advertised it as being "red/black", many people have told me that the red looks pink.

Anyway... I still have 2 weeks to take it back to AT&T and I have a SwitchEasy NUDE (clear) on the way. We'll see which one gets the job of covering my iPhone! :D

Recenty got this...

I gotta say it is really nice. Sure it scratches a little but the white hides it well. It looks like it should be part of the phone.

You could try the flip version. It's a little bit easier to get the phone in and out (you can slide the top part on, and then flip the bottom part into place). I just got the black/grey one for my black iphone, and it was pretty easy to get on -- snug, but not super tight. Drawback: they only have the shiny texture for the flip cases.

The shiny black is a fingerprint magnet, but I didn't like the other color combos that were in stock on Amazon when I ordered. I'll wait a few months and the prices will plummet, and I'll get the color I want. I waited too long to get a case as it is -- got a nick right on the front edge of the phone :(. Hopefully, the Flip will save it further abuse.

I recommend taking it off and cleaning out the inside of the case and the phone. I don't know if it will happen to the 5 with the new rubber and the dimples (dimples won't help where it does not recess) but my 3GS always got lint and debris from my pocket in there which ended up scratching the phone (chrome edge and backplate).

But I agree, if you just leave it on for the life of the phone, then it's a great case if you don't mind the hairline scratches on the back. There is also the issue with the lip getting in the way of your thumb swipes, but that is minor.

Overall a good case with a few nuances. One of the better looking ones imo.

Here is the "Pebble/Peacock" combo.
Sorry about the awful quality. I used the iPad 2's camera.

I'll edit this once my CandyShell Flip "Raspberry/Dark Raspberry/Peacock" arrives and post those pictures as well.

EDIT: here is the CandyShell Flip
http://imgur.com/a/xBBT1#xEegK

I just got it in black. It is a bit slippery. I don't care that it may scratch easily. Really it's just a temporary case until the lifeproof comes out.

I saw a comment that the case is so tight that it could damage the buttons etc. Do you really think so? Or was the comment more about taking it in and out...not sure why you'd do that but...

For those of you with this case, be careful when taking the case off, do not try to take it off from the top left corner where the sound/vibrate switch is.

I tried to take the case off starting from the left top corner, and the area right above the sound/vibrate rocker switch cracked.
Had to return it.

As someone else mentioned earlier, mine also shows a sliver of silver on the top left corner. Going to contact speck to see if they will send me a replacement.

So finally received my Speck Candyshell! Love it so much!! But.. I see some cons here. If you look at the picture, there are some tiny shavings of plastic that makes the case look less than perfect. Minor imperfection but I thought Speck would be better than this. Second, the case is prone to scratches. I've only used it for few hours and I already have lotsa scratches in the back. HOWEVER, overall, I LOVE this case! Love how it looks and button and cutouts are perfect! Purchased at : http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-CandyShell-Glossy-iPhone/dp/B0093IHW6U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1350084967&sr=8-7&keywords=speck+iphone+5

Here, you can see the orange plastic shavings

I've got the Spigen Ultra Air minimal soft clear case but my phone has survived a couple of nasty spills recently so I decided to get a more protective case. Went with the white/blue grip to go with my white iPhone 5. Apologies for poorly lit iPad pic...

View attachment 377558

You will love the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer! It's a little slimmer than the Candyshell but the lip isn't as pronounced. The Candy Sheer is a flexible TPU so it is easy to install and remove. It's the case I am currently using in Teal/Gray on my white iPhone 5.

I also have a White/Peacock/Pebble Speck Candyshell Flip and a Purple/Green Speck Candyshell and I found that putting a back protector (I'm using SGP Ultra Clear) makes it so you don't get any honeycomb effect on the back.

The honeycomb effect seems to wear off if you keep the case off for awhile, but I do like to clean my phone and the case is really hard to get off also. I figured I'd go with the Belkin since it seems to get rid of both those issues. I noticed their website has a smolder/gravel sheer so I ordered that. I hope it's as see through as it looks on the site, should look great on my phone.

I get paranoid of people talking about the phone bending in cases that aren't quite as stiff. Such a silly thing to have to worry about with a cell phone.

I have the normal candyshell. Took it of yesterday for the first time in a month. No honeycomb on mine.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I want to get a CandyShell Satin for iPhone 4/4S.
After reading some reviews, a few people said the rubber was peeling off...
Any experience with the Satin case? :)

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I had a satin for a day and it scratched up on the corner the first day I had it. I returned it and went back to the normal candyshell

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I had a satin for a day and it scratched up on the corner the first day I had it. I returned it and went back to the normal candyshell

I think I will also go with the normal one, because a lot of people aren't happy with the satin for the 4/4S...
Is the flaking still issue on the normal CandyShell for the 4/4S?
If so, what (other) Speck case would you guys recommend for the iPhone 4/4S?

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I think I will also go with the normal one, because a lot of people aren't happy with the satin for the 4/4S...
Is the flaking still issue on the normal CandyShell for the 4/4S?
If so, what (other) Speck case would you guys recommend for the iPhone 4/4S?

The Speck PixelSkin HD for the 4/4S was my FAVORITE case for that phone.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Anyone experience with a FabShell for iPhone 4/4S?
If so, how does the fabric hold up?

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I want to get a CandyShell Satin for iPhone 4/4S.
After reading some reviews, a few people said the rubber was peeling off...
Any experience with the Satin case? :)

All the CandyShells for the 4/4S in general wasn't that great. The part that goes above the 30-pin connector cracks VERY easily.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
All the CandyShells for the 4/4S in general wasn't that great. The part that goes above the 30-pin connector cracks VERY easily.

I really like the look of all Speck cases, but some are pretty poor quality if I hear this...
CandyShell, FabShell and Fitted have there problems.
So I will go for the Pixelskin HD or GeoSkin.
The reviews I saw about them were very positive!
Heard from a few people here that they are good too. :)

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I really like the look of all Speck cases, but some are pretty poor quality if I hear this...
CandyShell, FabShell and Fitted have there problems.
So I will go for the Pixelskin HD or GeoSkin.
The reviews I saw about them were very positive!
Heard from a few people here that they are good too. :)

Unless the FabShell and Fitted are plastic, I don't think they will crack at that part. The CandyShell only cracks at that area because the plastic is so thin and brittle there.

But for the iPhone 5, the part in question is shorter, because of the lightning cable being smaller, so neither my nor I have experienced cracking in that area.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Unless the FabShell and Fitted are plastic, I don't think they will crack at that part. The CandyShell only cracks at that area because the plastic is so thin and brittle there.

But for the iPhone 5, the part in question is shorter, because of the lightning cable being smaller, so neither my nor I have experienced cracking in that area.

The problem with the FabShell and Fitted is that the fabric peels off...
So I am going to get the Pixelskin HD for my iPhone 4! :D

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Sadly, I am also seeing a very little bit of the rubber flaking on my black Satin version. I otherwise LOVE this case for the looks, touch, and protection it offers. I'll probably just let it wear over the next several months and get a new case if it gets really bad.

There's reports of bad flaking from the Satin case on the official Speck review site!:

http://www.speckproducts.com/candyshell-satin-for-iphone-5.html#reviews

I'll tell you that Speck is really good about sending you a new case under warranty for free.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Great company, but the iPhone 5 case is a compromise.

In order to clean the normal dust & debris that builds up between any case & the phone, I remove mine weekly. By week 4, the phone was scratched, the rubber worn, none of which was noticeable till then.

Oh well, I didn't plan on keeping this phone anyway.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Great company, but the iPhone 5 case is a compromise.

In order to clean the normal dust & debris that builds up between any case & the phone, I remove mine weekly. By week 4, the phone was scratched, the rubber worn, none of which was noticeable till then.

Oh well, I didn't plan on keeping this phone anyway.

the candyshell scratched ur case? lol u must have done something wrong

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I want to get the CandyShell Satin (black) for my iPhone 5.
Reviews of the 4/4S version say the satin layer peels off...
Is this fixed with the iPhone 5 version?

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I want to get the CandyShell Satin (black) for my iPhone 5.
Reviews of the 4/4S version say the satin layer peels off...
Is this fixed with the iPhone 5 version?

No. This happens with all similar satin cases. The satin coating wears off over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.