Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I stream my iTunes library via Airplay to a Marantz MCR603 receiver hooked to my Polk built in speakers or Altec Lancing InAir 5000 speakers...or both. Both are excellent products. I would suggest the Marantz receiver to anyone who wants to stream Airplay or internet radio stations.

benig

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
Somebody's developing a Bluetooth to Apple Dock Connector device. It's not in production yet (still sorting things out with Apple giving them approval to integrate the dock connector) but it seems pretty promising. You may want to keep an eye out on their website:

http://pairwithpear.com/

Update : this same company now confirmed on their blog (see below) that Apple will NOT allow such a product.
This might explain why the BeeWi BBR200 which I own and works like a charm (if you accept a slightly muffled sound) is now discontinued. The Coolstream is to this day still in stock at Amazon. Go Figure.

As far as Airplay reception is concerned, an old jailbroken iPod Touch will have to do the trick, then.

http://pairwithpear.com/ said:
Well,

11-27-12
Well, bad news.
We finally got final confirmation back from Apple stating that they will not approve any products that use the 30-pin female connector with bluetooth. We had hoped, since they have transitioned to the new lightening connector, that they would relinquish this, but they did not.
Sorry for this bad news, but, that officially kills this product for us. We have the ability to make this outside the system, but it would mean risking your money to do so, and we did not want to take that risk. Apple has the ability, at any time, to stop any of the companies producing this product without their approval. And for us, that was too big of a risk to take.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Well, it's not "pretending to be an iPod" It's acting as an Airplay receiver (as 3rd parties are allowed to do) and out outputting the audio over a 30-pin connector.

There must be hundreds of thousands of fairly high-end iPod docks out there (high-end is a relative term) and I think people would rather spend £20-£30 on a neat adapter rather than but another £200+ dock.

The issue is that no one will legally be able to produce this cheap. It's the Airplay licensing that is a bit expensive. Just adding airplay to a device adds about $100 to the price. No way in hell you're going to see a cheap adapter.

Maybe a $110 AirPlay adapter.

Or just a cheap airport express would be the best solution.

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The issue is that no one will legally be able to produce this cheap. It's the Airplay licensing that is a bit expensive. Just adding airplay to a device adds about $100 to the price. No way in hell you're going to see a cheap adapter.

Maybe a $110 AirPlay adapter.

Or just a cheap airport express would be the best solution.

The CableJive bluetooth adapter we referenced earlier is probably as close as you are going to get for this type of thing. I have one on the 30-pin adapter in my car and it works reasonably well, is tiny, and cheap.

todd2fst4u

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
The CableJive bluetooth adapter we referenced earlier is probably as close as you are going to get for this type of thing. I have one on the 30-pin adapter in my car and it works reasonably well, is tiny, and cheap.

Does the CableJive adapter automatically connect with your iphone when the adapter is powered on, or do you have to manually reconnect each time the adapter is powered on?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Does the CableJive adapter automatically connect with your iphone when the adapter is powered on, or do you have to manually reconnect each time the adapter is powered on?

I use it in my car. It seems that the first time I start the car on any given day, that it connects automatically. However if I'm then in and out of the car frequently, it does not reconnect each time.

goojam

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Another use for this

This sounds great, but I have another use for this. Although, I'd like to see it plug into more than just the iPod dock. Give this a VGA or HDMI plug. I want to use my iPad or iPhone for presentations and would love a portable solution that plugs into a projector. I could show up, plug the Airplay dongle into the projector, turn on AirPlay and start my keynote or PowerPoint, being able to walk anywhere in the room with my iPad. I think there would be a huge market for this as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.