Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
I would recommend having different IDs per person, as it'll make life much easier. But, the big downside is that you'll have to buy apps separately (no sharing on multiple devices.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1519966/

And also
You have already purchased this item but it has not been downloaded. To download it, select Check For Available Downloads from the Store menu.

How do I select "Check For Available Downloads" from the Store menu ? I don't even see where teh Store menu is.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
My wife and I share IDs. We use a lot of the same apps, and it keeps us from having to buy them twice.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
What kind of apps do u use that youhave to pay for?
We mostly use free apps but don't know what useful apps there are that you should buy and would like to know.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Is this a real question?

You pay for what you want/find necessary.

Yes but I would like some ideas on what kinds of apps are totally worth buying.

Depending on whether there are lots of apps worth buying I may try to make different IDs or just use same IDs among family members.

Until now we sticked with free apps mainly and very few paid apps, so it might be better to stick with different IDs but never know.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Yes but I would like some ideas on what kinds of apps are totally worth buying.

All the Apple Apps.
All the highly rated ones with lots of ratings.
Just search the web for good iOS apps, including this forums. I can't give you an exhaustive list apart from the mega famous ones.

Depending on whether there are lots of apps worth buying I may try to make different IDs or just use same IDs among family members.

Until now we sticked with free apps mainly and very few paid apps, so it might be better to stick with different IDs but never know.

Just do what I said above. One account, share the password, and that's it.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
We all share the same Apple ID for apps. This way we don't have to purchase twice.

We each have our own specific iCloud ID's for contacts, calendars etc because they are personal per device/account.

smitty303

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Colorado
I set up my kids with one appleID to share apps. Turns out some games keep track of progress and don't allow them both to play independently. Or at least I haven't figured it all out yet. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
As an aside, if you have an Apple TV sharing one Apple ID is A LOT easier. Switching between accounts is a major headache when it doesn't want to connect to iCloud until after a reboot. Nasty bug.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
What if you downloaded so many books on your iBooks but someone else doesn't want it?

I deleted a lot of books in different categories but there is one category of "Purchased books" where I can't delete the books for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.