Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Non-Euclidean
macrumors member

Questions about MacX DVD Ripper Pro

I decided to get MacX DVD Ripper Pro.

I am ripping/moving stuff from disc to HD for my AppleTV3 library. Current display device is Sony 34" HDTV (KVSH510).

The first few discs I have been just putting them in and using the toAppleTV default. That would be 640x360 Wide-Screen mp4 Good Quality. There was also a 1280x720 Wide-Screen H264 High Quality. When I tried using that, the output looked slightly stretched and the quality wasnt as good as the 640 when I compared the same title side by side. That anime (Ghost in the Shell) was 4x3 original source.

Since those were mostly animated stuff (Heavy Metal, anime), I wasnt too particular. The output quality looked fine on AppleTV3 defaults.

Now I started ripping some 60/70s movies (Harry Palmer), and I had noticed that in a lot of cases, MDRPro was identifying then as 720x480 16x9.
I let Funeral in Berlin get encoded as 640x360 with the AppleTV default.

Now instead for Billion Dollar Brain I selected MP4, it defaults to a higher quality setting (using 1800 kps instead of 1500 bps). In addition, it keeps the video width at 720.

Billion Dollar Brain looks good and so does
Now, should I in general be using the MP4 setting instead, since it seems to be matching the resolution, and not reencoding for a different resolution?
Non-Euclidean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:58 PM   #2
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Use Handbrake. It's free and is widely regarded as the best on the market. That should fix all of your problems.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:21 PM   #3
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
Use Handbrake. It's free and is widely regarded as the best on the market. That should fix all of your problems.
+1

I might add though, that HB is not 100% for decryption. It is much easier, in the long run, to rip using MakeMKV (free) to decrypt to an mkv file and then HB to transcode to mp4 file. I know, it's an extra step, but it has decrypted everything I have ever thrown at it.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Non-Euclidean
macrumors member

Thanks for the responses.

I have Handbrake, MKV and MacX DVD Ripper Pro.

It just seemed so easy to pop it in and let MDRP rip and give me an MP4 in one step.

I have read (parts of the) automated DVD ripping and converting sticky in this category.

Yeah, I want the best quality in the rip overall, was just finding my way through these different products..
Non-Euclidean is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater