Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Given the attraction for the mini, no reasonable price for the mini 2 with retina and keeping the size and weight acceptable will be turned down.

Wow, you've never been to a marketing class have you? Do you think they would have sold as many if the price was double? Do you think the average buyer knows the difference between retina and non retina? Clearly you're thinking of yourself as a buyer. I am the same way, *I* would pay twice the price for a retina display... wait NO I WOULD NOT! See, between you and me Apple's already lost a buyer at a 100% price increase.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
1080p is just over 2 million pixels. A Retina Mini (assuming they use the same res as iPad 3/4) would be about 3.15 million pixels, which is 50% more pixels!

So saying smartphones have 1080p and therefore it should be easy for Mini is really not a true comparison.

Now if Apple were to change their strategy and do a 1920x1080 iPad mini (which would require app changes to support the new res) then the 1080p argument might be valid. But i expect you still have the battery life problem.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Its not that is impossible but apple does not want to create havoc amongst developers again for changing resolution. Give it a few years.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Its not that is impossible but apple does not want to create havoc amongst developers again for changing resolution. Give it a few years.

That's NOT the reason.

Doubling resolution with the mini will be as transparent to apps / developers as it has been with the iPad 3.

-t

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Even if they could, Apple wouldn't do a retina Mini (defining retina as being double the current res). Its purpose is thin and light. And low cost as possible.

A retina Mini would cost more to make than the bigger ipad 4. To then sell it at 329? That's not Apple.

And then there's the problem with killing the bigger ipad that Apple enjoys bigger margins on. Who'd buy one if they could get a retina Mini for much cheaper? Apple's margins would tank.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Wow, you've never been to a marketing class have you? Do you think they would have sold as many if the price was double? Do you think the average buyer knows the difference between retina and non retina? Clearly you're thinking of yourself as a buyer. I am the same way, *I* would pay twice the price for a retina display... wait NO I WOULD NOT! See, between you and me Apple's already lost a buyer at a 100% price increase.

PLEASE! They sold mini with its current specs for $329 and lots of them. Bet you thought that was too much. Apple is in the driver's seat now. I said reasonable price. Where are you coming up with TWICE the price for a mini 2 with retina being reasonable? The 3rd gen was not twice the price of the 2nd.

I guess you need a marketing class since you cannot figure that out.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
PLEASE! They sold mini with its current specs for $329 and lots of them. Bet you thought that was too much. Apple is in the driver's seat now. I said reasonable price. Where are you coming up with TWICE the price for a mini 2 with retina being reasonable? The 3rd gen was not twice the price of the 2nd.

I guess you need a marketing class since you cannot figure that out.

I'm not saying it would be reasonable, re-read the post.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'm surprised the iPad 2 is still for sale when the iPad Mini is out there. A limited argument can be made for keeping the 2 going, but they should ditch it, and any other older iPads, with the next update.

If the mini goes retina, an iPad 2 will seem sad beyond compare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.