Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:04 PM   #1
nickm81us
macrumors member

AppleCare+ iPhone replacement question

Hey all:

Was curious -- what do you get if you don't use either of your AppleCare+ iPhone "accidental damage" replacements after your two-year contract is up?
Anything? A pat on the back and a coupon for 10 minutes off of your next Genius Bar visit?
nickm81us is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:42 PM   #2
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Seriously.. Are you really asking ?
numberforty1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:13 PM   #3
nickm81us
macrumors member

Yeah. I've read a few things, and was curious what others had run into. Why is that such an odd question?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:15 AM   #4
itzAstonish
macrumors member

You don't get anything back. You pay for accidental protection . If you don't use it...well you get the satisfaction of never breaking your phone lol
itzAstonish is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:58 AM   #5
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzAstonish View Post
You don't get anything back. You pay for accidental protection . If you don't use it...well you get the satisfaction of never breaking your phone lol
Nope, Apple will refund some of the cost.

From Apple:

If you cancel more than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro rata refund of the original purchase price, based on the percentage of unexpired Plan Term from the Plan’s date of purchase, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25) dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any service provided to you under the Plan.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...lecareplus.pdf
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:49 AM   #6
andyx3x
macrumors 65816

I don't know what that last post was about.

If you go the full two years without an incident, you don't get any of the money back from Applecare Plus.

You can receive a refund if you decide to cancel at some point. It will be prorated. I cancelled the Applecare Plus plan on my 4S about 3 months in with one incident used and got back something in the $80 plus range(can't remember the exact amount).
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:26 AM   #7
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

You paid for a service which was basically insurance. They provided you a service which if you didn't need, they are not obligated to pay you back a cent.

Do you call your health insurance provider for a refund if you don't go to the doctor in a year?
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:11 PM   #8
nickm81us
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
You paid for a service which was basically insurance. They provided you a service which if you didn't need, they are not obligated to pay you back a cent.

Do you call your health insurance provider for a refund if you don't go to the doctor in a year?
No, but that would be nice. Car insurance too, if you don't get into an accident. I wanted to get some feedback on a few rumors I had heard regarding this.

Thanks all!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:21 PM   #9
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm81us View Post
Was curious -- what do you get if you don't use either of your AppleCare+ iPhone "accidental damage" replacements after your two-year contract is up?
Peace of mind. It's an extended warranty that includes coverage for 2 incidents of damage. That's what you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Nope, Apple will refund some of the cost.
Not at the end of 2 years which is what the OP asked. Even prorated that comes out to nothing.

Quote:
Car insurance too, if you don't get into an accident.
It's not a refund but USAA does issue dividends at the end of each year.

Quote:
I wanted to get some feedback on a few rumors I had heard regarding this.
Always consider the source.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone