Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickm81us

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Hey all:

Was curious -- what do you get if you don't use either of your AppleCare+ iPhone "accidental damage" replacements after your two-year contract is up?
Anything? A pat on the back and a coupon for 10 minutes off of your next Genius Bar visit? ;)

nickm81us

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Yeah. I've read a few things, and was curious what others had run into. Why is that such an odd question?

itzAstonish

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
You don't get anything back. You pay for accidental protection . If you don't use it...well you get the satisfaction of never breaking your phone lol

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You don't get anything back. You pay for accidental protection . If you don't use it...well you get the satisfaction of never breaking your phone lol

Nope, Apple will refund some of the cost.

From Apple:

If you cancel more than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro rata refund of the original purchase price, based on the percentage of unexpired Plan Term from the Plan’s date of purchase, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25) dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any service provided to you under the Plan.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I don't know what that last post was about.

If you go the full two years without an incident, you don't get any of the money back from Applecare Plus.

You can receive a refund if you decide to cancel at some point. It will be prorated. I cancelled the Applecare Plus plan on my 4S about 3 months in with one incident used and got back something in the $80 plus range(can't remember the exact amount).

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
You paid for a service which was basically insurance. They provided you a service which if you didn't need, they are not obligated to pay you back a cent.

Do you call your health insurance provider for a refund if you don't go to the doctor in a year?

nickm81us

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
You paid for a service which was basically insurance. They provided you a service which if you didn't need, they are not obligated to pay you back a cent.

Do you call your health insurance provider for a refund if you don't go to the doctor in a year?

No, but that would be nice. Car insurance too, if you don't get into an accident. :D I wanted to get some feedback on a few rumors I had heard regarding this. ;)

Thanks all!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Was curious -- what do you get if you don't use either of your AppleCare+ iPhone "accidental damage" replacements after your two-year contract is up?
Peace of mind. It's an extended warranty that includes coverage for 2 incidents of damage. That's what you get.

Nope, Apple will refund some of the cost.
Not at the end of 2 years which is what the OP asked. Even prorated that comes out to nothing.

Car insurance too, if you don't get into an accident.
It's not a refund but USAA does issue dividends at the end of each year.

I wanted to get some feedback on a few rumors I had heard regarding this.
Always consider the source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.