Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Cait
macrumors newbie

Restore iPhone backup from iTunes (from another person's phone)?

I have a deceased family member who has an iTunes backup of their iPhone 4S on their computer - I have their Apple ID and password, so I would be able to access it. We no longer have this person's phone, and I was wondering if it were possible for me to use my own phone (thinking of getting a new iPhone 4S because of the current low price) to restore, getting the data I want off of it (text messages, pictures, etc.) and then hit Erase All Content and Settings to return my phone to being brand new. I am worried that using someone else's backup would make it so that my phone number changes to theirs. Is this what would happen? Thanks
Cait is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Oablar
macrumors newbie

Restore iPhone backup

I think that you can't do as you wanted. Or you may find solutions online via Google search. You can find tutorial, video, etc. to help you!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:49 PM   #3
dave006
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cait View Post
.... I am worried that using someone else's backup would make it so that my phone number changes to theirs. Is this what would happen? Thanks
No change in your phone number. Your phone number is determined by the Micro-SIM for the iPhone 4S as registered with your cell provider.

The restore will not change the phone number, the restore process will only restore the contents of the last iPhone backup.

Dave
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone