Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by MacGeneration and in our MacRumors Forums, Apple is now allowing the entry level 21.5" iMac to be configured with a 1TB Fusion Drive.

NewImage30.png
The Fusion Drive is a built-to-order option for the iMac and Mac mini that combines SSD and traditional hard drives into a single logical volume.
With Fusion Drive in your iMac, disk-intensive tasks -- from booting up to launching apps to importing photos -- are faster and more efficient. That's because frequently used items are kept at the ready on speedy flash storage, while infrequently accessed items go to the hard drive. The file transfers take place in the background, so you won't even notice.
The 1TB Fusion Drive add-on is a $250 option and was previously only offered on the high end 21.5" iMac, high end Mac mini and 27" iMacs.

Article Link: Fusion Drive Now Available as Option for Low End 21.5" iMac

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Early adopters are screwed again.

Great news, but yeah kinda ticked now. Would have changed how I ordered.

Still wish there was just a SSD or Flash Drive option. Some people don't require 1TB and don't want ANY mechanical HDD and the noise, heat and higher failure time that come along with them.

----------

The next question is, is the connector standard on all Logic boards so that you can D.I.Y. ?

I remember reading in one of the first base teardowns that it did not have the socket connector.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Early adopters are screwed again.

Yea. I really don't like this new trend of Apple updating BTO options after a Mac has been released. They did it with the MacBook Pro 15" retina and they are doing it again with the new iMac.

Seriously this time..... Steve would never have allowed this. Really though, this kind of behavior hardly ever happened under Steve's watch.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Yea. I really don't like this new trend of Apple updating BTO options after a Mac has been released. They did it with the MacBook Pro 15" retina and they are doing it again with the new iMac.

Seriously this time..... Steve would never have allowed this.

Really? What option(s) did they add to the rMBP 15"?

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
How much for $125 worth of MLC mSata?

Has anyone tried replacing the hard drive on a 21.5" NEW iMac with a 2.5" SSD? Does the fan spin up due to the lack of temperature sense on the power connector?

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
The HD is the iMac's biggest letdown. Beachballs the moment you do anything remotely intensive....processor counts for nothing while the HD is playing catch up. I can't believe 7200rpm isnt even an option on 21, never mind SSD... Ridiculous. Maybe I don't want a larger screen. Options, please

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
I saw someone mention this late last year - but Apple does this to push people to the higher end, more profitable models during the initial roll out around holiday season to make more money. It's kind of slack.

Someone else mentioned that the blade 128GB drives may have had constrained stock during the holiday period but now they are up to production requirements?

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Apple has also had tiered upgrades, so the fact Tim is now allowing the lower specced machines have the better upgrades is a good thing. For Apple, it sounds like Steve may have actually been holding them back on somethings.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Sweet .. now I want 680MX option on base 21.5" iMac and no one would buy the high end 27" again :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.