Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:45 AM   #1
leekohler
Banned

LGBT Ugandans File Suit Against Antigay American Pastor Scott Lively

Good! It's about damn time. This guy needs to be held responsible.

Quote:
On Monday, January 7, lawyers representing Sexual Minorities Uganda will make oral arguments in a landmark case that aims to hold the American founder of Abiding Truth Ministries, Scott Lively, responsible for inciting persecution of LGBT people in Uganda. SMUG v. Scott Lively was filed in federal district court in March 2012, and alleges that the Evangelical pastor's efforts in Uganda to equate homosexuality with the Nazis, Rwandan genocide, pedophilia and more, violate international human rights law.

The Center for Constitutional Rights is representing SMUG, and will offer oral arguments at 11 a.m. on Monday at the Federal Courthouse in Springfield, Mass. The arguments will address Lively's motion to dismiss the case, and LGBT advocates are asking any and all supporters to attend the hearing in a show of solidarity with Uganda's LGBT community.

The case is the first of its kind, and relies on a 200-year-old law known as the Alien Tort Statute, which gives "survivors of egregious human rights abuses, wherever committed, the right to sue the perpetrators in the United States," according to the Center for Justice and Accountability.

Following the arguments, expected to last for two hours, CCR will hold a press conference with legal counsel and Frank Mugisha, Executive Director of SMUG. The Advocate will offer follow-up coverage on the hearing.
http://www.advocate.com/news/world-n...r-scott-lively

More on this complete douchebag:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Lively
leekohler is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:48 AM   #2
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

That's good
Eraserhead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:49 AM   #3
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Good Job
MorphingDragon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:00 AM   #4
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Alien Tort Statute to be repealed by Monday. More news at 11.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:58 PM   #5
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
Alien Tort Statute to be repealed by Monday. More news at 11.
Too late- the suit has been filed. I hope they sue this POS for all he's got.
leekohler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Iscariot
macrumors 68030

I cant seem to find anything online about a legal fund. I'd pay good money to see this piece of human garbage hang.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
I cant seem to find anything online about a legal fund. I'd pay good money to see this piece of human garbage hang.
THe Center for Constitutional Rights has a website where you can donate:

http://ccrjustice.org/ourcases/curre...ganda-v-lively
leekohler is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:43 PM   #8
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
Now there is a statement rooted in tolerance if there ever was one.

And you guys say the Right is where the violence is? I guess the end justifies the means.
thewitt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:06 PM   #9
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post

And you guys say the Right is where the violence is? I guess the end justifies the means.
The right is where the violence\intolerance is. Thats not even arguable. Anytime you read about oppression, non-equal rights, and crazies with guns its from the right.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:12 AM   #10
leekohler
Banned

Quote:

So you think oppression should be tolerated? Really? You really are a piece of work.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:18 AM   #11
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
So you think oppression should be tolerated? Really? You really are a piece of work.
It depends on who is being oppressed. The only people in his world not allowed to be oppressed are the defenders of the 2nd Amendment. Anyone else is fair game.

He's just another old, bitter hypocrite.
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:47 AM   #12
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Do you even read the crap that you guys write?

The poster said this guy should be HUNG and he would pay to see it happen.

You are so bloody self righteous you can't even tell when you are being a complete hypocrite.

Violence is fine, capital punishment is fine, as long as it's punishment for a crime that personally affronts you.

Killing someone who bludgeons his grandmother to death with a hammer is not ok, but hanging someone who is anti gay is perfectly acceptable.

I have never supported oppression. My positions are very consistent, and I am WAY more tolerant than any of you on subjects that I find offensive.

You guys are very frightening in your blind hatred of anyone who disagrees with you. It truly says mouthfuls for where this country is headed - and it's a very frightening place if your ideology is indeed winning as you seem to think it is.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:22 AM   #13
leekohler
Banned

Quote:

You are so bloody self righteous you can't even tell when you are being a complete hypocrite.

Violence is fine, capital punishment is fine, as long as it's punishment for a crime that personally affronts you.

Killing someone who bludgeons his grandmother to death with a hammer is not ok, but hanging someone who is anti gay is perfectly acceptable.

I have never supported oppression. My positions are very consistent, and I am WAY more tolerant than any of you on subjects that I find offensive.

You guys are very frightening in your blind hatred of anyone who disagrees with you. It truly says mouthfuls for where this country is headed - and it's a very frightening place if your ideology is indeed winning as you seem to think it is.
And you take everything literally. I seriously doubt Iscariot was being literal. Can you not understand that?

This is not hatred of someone who we merely disagree with. This is hatred of someone who has, and continues to do, horrible things to others. The only person who is frightening is you- when you sit there and nit pick at someone who is not being literal, but ignore the truly evil human being this thread is about, I see that we are actually headed in the right direction.

Should we have tolerated those who promoted slavery too?

Your crocodile tears aren't fooling anyone. You watch way too much Glenn Beck- didn't work for him either.

Last edited by leekohler; Jan 6, 2013 at 01:36 AM.
leekohler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:45 AM   #14
MorphingDragon
Banned

Quote:
And you take everything literally. I seriously doubt Iscariot was being literal. Can you not understand that?

This is not hatred of someone who we merely disagree with. This is hatred of someone who has, and continues to do, horrible things to others. The only person who is frightening is you- when you sit there and nit pick at someone who is not being literal, but ignore the truly evil human being this thread is about, I see that we are actually headed in the right direction.

Should we have tolerated those who promoted slavery too?

Your crocodile tears aren't fooling anyone. You watch way too much Glenn Beck- didn't work for him either.
Although this comic is aimed at gaming culture, it very much reminds me The Witts average discourse.

"Adult Language" warning

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...0106-The-War-Z
MorphingDragon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:09 AM   #15
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphingDragon View Post
Although this comic is aimed at gaming culture, it very much reminds me The Witts average discourse.

"Adult Language" warning

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...0106-The-War-Z
I'd say that pretty much sums it up.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:24 AM   #16
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Not only was he being literal, you and most of the others on the left on this forum agree with the sentiment.

You've been posting and supporting hate speech like his forever on this forum, and that is far worse than anything I've ever said or any position I have ever taken.

Kill them if they disagree with you. Kill gun owners. Slander anyone you must. Make stuff up and keep yelling lies at the top of your lungs, because the end justifies the means.

This is the basis of your parties political beliefs, and you continue to demonstrate you are perfectly aligned.

As for who I listen to, you would be surprised where I get my news. Remember I don't live in the US and have not for several years. This means my broadcast news comes primarily from the BBC, Al Jazerra, CNN and CNBC.

Glenn Beck? Not even when I lived in the US. That's just your continued stereotyping and hate speech coming out.

You should really listen to something other than Democratic Party propaganda and see how the rest of the world sees America as well.

Just read all the anger and hatred aimed at me in this forum. I take people off ignore just often enough to see that their hate speech continues. No surprise coming from the party with no tolerance for anyone who disagrees with them.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:36 AM   #17
MorphingDragon
Banned

Quote:
Not only was he being literal, you and most of the others on the left on this forum agree with the sentiment.
Sometimes a story is best left to tell itself.

Last edited by MorphingDragon; Jan 6, 2013 at 02:44 AM.
MorphingDragon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:21 AM   #18
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Yep- now you can read minds too. What other super powers do you have?
leekohler is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:38 AM   #19
chrono1081
macrumors 604

As a Christian I have to say how on EARTH does Scott Lively think he's doing "God's work"?

Seriously anyone against anyone elses rights have not read and comprehended their Bibles.

This is why I don't go to church, most spew hatred and poison.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:55 AM   #20
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
As a Christian I have to say how on EARTH does Scott Lively think he's doing "God's work"?
Deep down he most likely doesn't. He simply uses religion as a justification for his bigotry.
leekohler is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:46 AM   #21
balamw

Quote:
I hate this kind of thread. You all are talking around in circles past each other with silly generalizations about each other with out moving the discussion forward in any way.

For me, here's the fundamental difference between Iscariot's post and some of the violent rhetoric we hear from "the other side".
  1. Iscariot is looking for the legal defense fund, not a length of rope or other weapon.
  2. Given #1 it becomes clear that one should read hang as sentenced, through the legal process.

Thus, to me this is not in any way a call to violent action as you make it out to be. If you read the entire statement and don't just extract the last phrase the literal meaning of the entire statement is quite a bit more subtle than you make it out to be.

Even though you claim to receive your news from a wide array of sources, the way you post here seems to imply that you lack any subtlety of interpretation.

It's either black or white. There seem to be no shades of grey.

It's the same kind of nonsense as making a big deal of "You didn't build that" taking a sound bite out of context from a larger whole to turn it into something quite different than what was actually said.

That's why this and many of your other posts are received as inciteful rather than insightful.

JMHO.

B
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:29 PM   #22
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
I hate this kind of thread...

Nice work. I’ve often thought you were a class act, B.
Blue Velvet is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:50 PM   #23
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:

First off I used to think that you posted on this site because you has something worthwhile to say.
But how wrong I was, all you do is rant. There are posters on this forum who's ideas I do not share, but I do respect them as people. You are not one of those people.

Even I who has English as his third language could see that Iscariot's post was not to be taken literally, but you with your strange view on life did. That is just sad, but it suits you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
I hate this kind of thread. You all are talking around in circles past each other with silly generalizations about each other with out moving the discussion forward in any way.

For me, here's the fundamental difference between Iscariot's post and some of the violent rhetoric we hear from "the other side".
  1. Iscariot is looking for the legal defense fund, not a length of rope or other weapon.
  2. Given #1 it becomes clear that one should read hang as sentenced, through the legal process.

Thus, to me this is not in any way a call to violent action as you make it out to be. If you read the entire statement and don't just extract the last phrase the literal meaning of the entire statement is quite a bit more subtle than you make it out to be.

Even though you claim to receive your news from a wide array of sources, the way you post here seems to imply that you lack any subtlety of interpretation.

It's either black or white. There seem to be no shades of grey.

It's the same kind of nonsense as making a big deal of "You didn't build that" taking a sound bite out of context from a larger whole to turn it into something quite different than what was actually said.

That's why this and many of your other posts are received as inciteful rather than insightful.

JMHO.

B
I had to look those words up but I would like to thank you so very much I have now learnt a very useful language lesson.
Plus your views on this matter don't suck either.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:51 PM   #24
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Wow. You'd be well served taking your own advice.

To witt:

Quote:
Virtually every post on social issues you have made supports oppressing people. See abortion rights and gay marriage, to name a couple. Furthermore, your typical MO is to post unsubstantiated items, rarely, if ever, come back to defend your posts and your fall back argument is to denigrate liberals for anything as you have no facts to back up your positions. I will agree with you on one thing, you are consistent.
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:41 PM   #25
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Snaps!