Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:51 AM   #1
budster23
macrumors newbie

VPN + Samsung internet@TV = BBC iPlayer abroad...

Samsung 6000 series LCD with internet@TV (I live outside the UK)

Now the theory goes that I should be able to use a VPN to connect my Samsung TV (as I do for my Mac where I can watch BBC iPlayer etc in Holland) to a VPN (via the router specifying the TV's IP address) and then I should be able to get BBC iPLayer and other UK widgets for Samsung internet@TV.

Has anyone tried this method? I would love to know if it works - as I have no idea how to set up the VPN router side (I normally just connect through my Mac).

Advice would be appreciated. Cheers.
budster23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:54 PM   #2
h2009
macrumors member

PM Me
h2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:24 PM   #3
budster23
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I will PM you once I get 5 posts. (the minimum posts before you can pm a member).
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:25 PM   #4
budster23
macrumors newbie

Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:26 PM   #5
budster23
macrumors newbie

Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:46 AM   #6
tallyho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster23 View Post
Samsung 6000 series LCD with internet@TV (I live outside the UK)

Now the theory goes that I should be able to use a VPN to connect my Samsung TV (as I do for my Mac where I can watch BBC iPlayer etc in Holland) to a VPN (via the router specifying the TV's IP address) and then I should be able to get BBC iPLayer and other UK widgets for Samsung internet@TV.

Has anyone tried this method? I would love to know if it works - as I have no idea how to set up the VPN router side (I normally just connect through my Mac).

Advice would be appreciated. Cheers.
I thought there were reports that the BBC was going to introduce a paid-for iPlayer service for people abroad. That might help.

Also, just wondering if you pay a UK TV licence fee? If so, and you have a home in the UK, you could set up a Slingbox for access abroad, although obviously that wouldn't enable your Samsung TV to access iPlayer on its own.
tallyho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:58 AM   #7
budster23
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyho View Post
I thought there were reports that the BBC was going to introduce a paid-for iPlayer service for people abroad. That might help.

Also, just wondering if you pay a UK TV licence fee? If so, and you have a home in the UK, you could set up a Slingbox for access abroad, although obviously that wouldn't enable your Samsung TV to access iPlayer on its own.
Yes, I currently have full access to iPlayer through my Mac with a VPN. Unfortunately I don't have a home in the UK so slingbox wouldn't really work. I'd welcome the paid for service as it would probably be cheaper than paying for the VPN - and probably more reliable too.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:00 AM   #8
budster23
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2009 View Post
PM Me
I tried PM'ing you but it doesn't want to work.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:04 PM   #9
StivVid
macrumors newbie

Looking for the same solution...

Hi, budster23. I've got a Samsung telly too and have been trying to find the same solution you're seeking here. Have you had any luck? I'm in Ireland and would like to use the BBC iPlayer and LOVEFiLM through Internet@TV.
StivVid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:55 AM   #10
lafirzaman
macrumors newbie

Samsung Inernet@TV iPlayer not found

Hi guys,
I live in UK and got Samsung TV with Internet@TV, I can find Lovefilm.com and other new Apps but I'm not getting BBC iPlayer.
Can anyone tell me why and how can I find it.

I searched Samsung Apps page and there are many Apps but not iPlayer
Thanks
lafirzaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:27 AM   #11
peteknopp
macrumors member

Vpn

Budster - I'm in same boat in Portugal and have iplayer via VPN but the VPN only hides your address in Safari or a browser, not in mail programs or anything else. I too would like to hide my whole identity so I can use iplayer on my samsung. Pls let me know if you get a fix. ps I use Netshade at 21 a year to hide my mac
peteknopp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:14 AM   #12
AshMan
macrumors regular

I would start by looking into a router that may support making the vpn connection and allowing it to be shared over the router. Perhaps a router with DD-WRT, or tomato or one of the other custom firmwares can do this...

That way the router makes the vpn connection and passes the data from the connected device to the vpn...

Just a thought.
AshMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:47 AM   #13
tiberius72
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
I would start by looking into a router that may support making the vpn connection and allowing it to be shared over the router. Perhaps a router with DD-WRT, or tomato or one of the other custom firmwares can do this...

That way the router makes the vpn connection and passes the data from the connected device to the vpn...

Just a thought.
I am thinking that this is probably the only way as well. I live in the US and pay a UK License fee.

Now how can we have the router automatically create and keep this connection.... Setting up openVPN is not a problem.

Thoughts anyone ?
tiberius72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:34 AM   #14
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius72 View Post
I am thinking that this is probably the only way as well. I live in the US and pay a UK License fee.

Now how can we have the router automatically create and keep this connection.... Setting up openVPN is not a problem.

Thoughts anyone ?
Depends on the routers firmware of course, so you'll have to be more specific.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:40 AM   #15
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

You could create an AdHoc network between your PC and TV, then set up Internet sharing with a proxy (I don't know if Windows can do this, but OSX can)
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:27 AM   #16
DaveNinja
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladinos View Post
You could create an AdHoc network between your PC and TV, then set up Internet sharing with a proxy (I don't know if Windows can do this, but OSX can)
I tired something like this; had my iMac going through a VPN/Proxy service but couldnt get my Roku or PS3 to connect to my iMac and use its internet shared access, wired or wirelessly.
DaveNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:01 AM   #17
WASTED-1
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb Samsung internet@tv / BBC iPlayer outside UK

Deleted.

Last edited by WASTED-1; Oct 18, 2011 at 04:42 PM.
WASTED-1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:14 AM   #18
donbrown
macrumors newbie

Is great to finally see Television sets that are actually intelligent enough to carry VPN connections, finally sticks it to the cable companies having the monopoly on things. Ive been using http://www.changeipvpn.com for BBC iPlayer & HULU in the Carribean, works fine on my iPad, would love to know how to set it up on this TV though and where I can buy in in Bahamas.
donbrown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:24 PM   #19
benthomas
macrumors newbie

Red face

You really do have to scout around on the search engines to find coupons for VPN's. so many of them now and the prices seem to go up and down all of the time. This was the best I found for BBC iPlayer 2.99 Month.

http://www.watchiplayer.com/trialoffer.html
benthomas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater