Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Ridiculous. Maybe I don't want a larger screen. Options, please

Back when Apple was going bankrupt, they had huge numbers of options.

Now, they make more profits than anybody else. Legendary profits. Profits that put them front and center in Business School textbooks.

Somehow, I think that Apple can make Wall Street happy without your advice.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Depending on your set up it may not be disk0 or disk1. You need to know the disk number that is assigned to each disk and use those accordingly.

This is all very un-Apple-like.

Apple kit comes configured in a manner so that it just works. There is never any need to go mucking around in this sort of thing.

If you want a system with Fusion Drive, simply order one at the iStore.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Back when Apple was going bankrupt, they had huge numbers of options.

Now, they make more profits than anybody else. Legendary profits. Profits that put them front and center in Business School textbooks.

Somehow, I think that Apple can make Wall Street happy without your advice.

Ah, Wall Street, greed, shareholders... that's all what the modern world is about, right. No wonder it all went to **** some years ago, and the worst is yet to come.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
"Early adopters" got exactly what they paid for. Now Apple offers you to buy something that is better than the lowest end iMac for more money, or less good than the better iMac for less money. So please explain how these "early adopters" getting screwed?

They are not getting screwed. They got exactly what they paid for.

And if you consider that Macs hold their value better than anything else you can buy with the exception of gold bullion, early adopters should simply trade in their obsolete Macs and buy a new one. It will cost them almost nothing.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Ah, Wall Street, greed, shareholders... that's all what the modern world is about, right. No wonder it all went to **** some years ago, and the worst is yet to come.

Maybe you'd like to switch to one of the "open source" systems like Linux. I hear that many of the companies that sell it are on the verge of bankruptcy.

If you rock a Linux system, you can switch hard drives any way you want and it only takes a few days to get all the tech info together so you can figure it out.

Or you can simply buy a Mac, and it will just work. Your choice. The only bad thing about the second alternative is that the product is produced by a profitable company.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
I don't feel I got screwed, but I do feel a little disappointed. At least they should have said "coming soon" or something like that.

Anyway, if you don't ask, you don't get. So I just called Apple and they're taking back my current iMac and I've ordered the same but with a Fusion Drive.

:)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Are you for real? Before you had to pick the high end 21.5'' to have the option to add the Fusion drive. Now you don't need to. Buying the low end + Fusion drive is cheaper than buying high end + Fusion drive.

See, very easy to explain. Now you go think about it.

You didn't explain a thing. Before, you paid the money for an iMac without Fusion drive and got an iMac without Fusion drive. You got exactly what you paid for. Today, you get exactly the same computer for exactly the same money.

Even if the Fusion drive was added for free, and new customers would get more for the same price, you still wouldn't be screwed, because you still got exactly what you paid for. Which was more than you got for the same money with the previous model.

Claiming that someone is "screwed" because Apple offers an improved product or more choice is just idiotic.

I think it's only Apple, so it's looks to be software driven... as I understand it, but no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong; which I don't mind :)

That was the point. It is stupid to rant about the price that Apple charges for a Fusion drive, when nobody else offers it at all.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Just canceled the base 21" I had on order, which was the second order I placed after canceling the first top model 21" to get Fusion. It's clear Fusion has been a big hit and I can see the next round of iMacs coming standard with Fusion, even if the price of pure ssd's keeps falling. The hdd manufacturers have their own vested interest in keeping spinning drives in machines and will likely give away 1+ TB drives while Apple sells systems that are both ssd fast and offer low cost per mb high volume storage.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
It wouldn't work because a fusion drive is based around 2 SATA drives, not a mix of external and internal drives. It would also be very dangerous to have a fragmented file system span over 2 drives when one of them relies on an external adapter.

Actually it does work on external drives. Someone tested a USB drive "fused" with an external FireWire HD and it worked fine. Not very practical, but it was just a test. So people with limited internal capacity and no way to upgrade, could in fact add a large external drive and build a Fusion drive from it.

http://jollyjinx.tumblr.com/post/35013104235/fusion-drive-last-words-the-10-minutes-ive-seen

Obviously on a laptop this wouldn't make sense unless you always wanted to carry the external drive around with you. For these people it would be better to use the external drive for can-leave-behind data and more important stuff stored on the internal drive. For desktops that people are afraid to open up, this would be a great option.

Personally, my iMac (late '09) has a 2 TB HD, so I don't really need more space, but it would be nice for the performance boost. I may end up replacing the SuperDrive with an SSD and building a fusion drive from them. Should see a significant improvement in disk access and for a cost of only $150-$175, it might be worth it.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
It is by no means as hard as you say, there is a long thread here on MR, look there. Rip Those Macs Open

Reading the comments by R.O.G. he even states using a heat gun, but this page shows Apple using a cutting tool http://www.scribd.com/doc/118836055/2012iMac,

I have built hundreds of computers in my time, and a screw is a hell of a lot easier then trying to use a sharp cutting disk tool to unglue a screen I would think, and then you have to glue it back on and reading the threads no one has found the stuff Apple uses yet. And you will also need to find the exact same cutting tool Apple uses unless you want to get the heat gun out, or use a Stanley on your new iMac!

As I said, you can do it, but it's not easy.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
It's still a joke that an SSD doesn't come standard. $250 for a 128GB HD. What a rip off.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
But those folks don't represent a high enough amount of profit for Apple to care about. Apple skates to where the puck is GOING TO be.

I agree, which is why I'm shocked there is not an SSD or Flash only option across the board. 128gb SSD drives are about the same price retail now as the 1TB 2.5" drives apple is using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.