Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeycid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Gonna buy the second option 21.5 iMac with Fusion Drive and praying it'll play Diablo 3 at medium-high settings. Just wondering what mice you guys play with.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Logitech wireless trackball (M570). I like how I don't need plenty of room to move it.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Cyborg RAT7. Works like a piece of crap under OS X because of lacking driver support for 10.8 and support is complete *********.

Windows is fine, so for Bootcamp gaming this is a great mouse.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
The Magic Mouse.

A little disappointed at how the bottom edges get discolored buy it's not biggie. Love it for all the gestures in Mountain Lion.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I use some crappy mice worth maybe 5 quid. I would have told you more, but it's completely black and has only a very strange sign on the top. Hmm, very strange...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Razer Naga. It's got plenty of buttons. I also use a Razer Nostromo, more buttons! :)

razer_naga.jpg

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I use a regular, wired Logitech trackball. When I first saw a trackball, I didn't think much of it, but when I started using a desktop, it made perfect sense since you don't have to use up any extra desk real-estate.

I use the wired version because many of the cordless versions are for right-hand use only. I'm right-handed, but because of wrist issues, use my left hand for mousing (rather, "trackballing").

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
A simple Macally two button/scroll wheel iOptinet Mouse, which I bought yeeeaaaars ago when I still had my G4 Quicksilver. Has never failed me and still works like a charm.
Love Macs, hate Apple mice (the only one ever did like was the single button Pro mouse...)

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I have the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 v2. It works nice enough with native Mac drivers.

I'm looking to buy a new mouse that is good for gaming and works natively on mac without the need for things like USB Overdrive. I'm satisfied with 2 extra thumb buttons. Does anyone have the Logitech G400? It's not supported on Macs but I wonder if the buttons are still recognized by the OS.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
as much as I love the Magic Mouse with everything else, for gaming I'm using the Microsoft Arc(h?)

superberg

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
Schaumburg, IL
I picked up a Logitech G700 on the recommendation/praise of many other users.

It is very comfortable, and there are lots of buttons. But there are a some glaring flaws in the design of the device:

First, you have to use Windows to adjust the mouse's settings, as Logitech (Still!) does not support using their gaming mice on the Mac OS. This has been brought up multiple times, but logitech's support forums are bursting with requests for a Mac version of the driver. After two years of requests, they have done nothing. So consider that before spending hard-earned cash to support them, because they sure won't lift a finger to help you when/if you have a problem with their product.

More glaring: due to some odd engineering decisions, many buttons on the mouse don't register as buttons in software. G8, G9, G10, and G11 are not available as generic, non-descript programmable buttons. By default, they act as switches for DPI and Profiles, and for checking battery life.

It gets better: you can't make these appear as mouse buttons, no matter how you configure it. I played with Logitech's software for over an hour; you can change these buttons to play back a macro or act as a key/key combination, but you can't make them plain old mouse buttons.

In the end, unless you use extra software (I use ControllerMate), you will really have a seven-button mouse with a few keyboard repeats that is advertised as a 13-button mouse. The side-scrolling buttons are also of dubious programmability.

In fact, the mouse will appear as a keyboard when you plug it in -- so don't be surprised when the "unidentified keyboard" window pops up.

Long story short, it can be a very nice mouse but it takes a bit of taming to be useful.

monkeycid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I wasn't expecting so many replies! Now I'm spoilt for choice!

Just an FYI but after using amazon.co.uk live chat regarding rMBP and US keypads, I've been reassured that those sold by Amazon are all UK, meaning British, I hope. So, I ordered one, woohoo!

It's nothing fancy, just the base, standard rMBP. But I know anything costing more than £1,000 will get me into deep trouble with parents. Hell, they went mad when I bought my current £900 Dell. It came to £1,630 with delivery so a nice saving of around £170. I could've saved upto £220 but the thought of US keypad and returns, waiting for refunds, etc, seemed too risky.

Anywho, with Express delivery it should arrive by 1pm tomorrow! (Monday) Now I don't know if I should hide the receipts and say I spent £1,200 or what.

Then it will be onto mouse shopping. :D

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I use a basic 3-button HP mouse (left, middle, right). It was only like $10 at my local store -- can't really complain.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I really love the Logitech MX Performance mouse wireless. It's a real pleasure to use in both OS X and Windows both for general use and especially for gaming where I simply must have a real two button mouse.

This mouse isn't cheap as mice go but it is worth it. It is very comfortable with a shape that contours well to the hand. It is rechargeable so you do not need to be constantly buying batteries for it. What is really nice too is that it includes a USB cable with a mini connector that plugs into the front of it, to recharge it while allowing you to continue using it. There is also a standard wall outlet charging cable included as well.

It offers a great blend of comfort, convenience and compatibility and I find it works very well for gaming.

Oh, and it does include OS X support and installs a very nice Control Center app into your System Preferences to configure the buttons, etc. as desired.

bbkr

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
R.A.T 7 Contagion

H7359

But you have to remove native retarded Mac OS mouse acceleration first: http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-os-x-mouse-acceleration-from-the-command-line/ (Apple kicked out guy responsible for skeumorphism so hopefully they will kick out guy responsible for this crap soon). This is heavy mouse with full palm grip and trying to use it with default sluggish movement will cause a lot of frustration.

I've played a lot of games since I got this mouse: CoD, Diablo 3, WoW, FarCry 3, and so on. And this is excellent mouse for gamers.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
R.A.T 7 Contagion

But you have to remove native retarded Mac OS mouse acceleration first: http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-os-x-mouse-acceleration-from-the-command-line/ (Apple kicked out guy responsible for skeumorphism so hopefully they will kick out guy responsible for this crap soon). This is heavy mouse with full palm grip and trying to use it with default sluggish movement will cause a lot of frustration.

I've played a lot of games since I got this mouse: CoD, Diablo 3, WoW, FarCry 3, and so on. And this is excellent mouse for gamers.

How is it working?
My extra buttons aren't working at all. What software did you install?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Cyborg RAT7. Works like a piece of crap under OS X because of lacking driver support for 10.8 and support is complete *********.

Windows is fine, so for Bootcamp gaming this is a great mouse.

Also RAT7 for fps games despite the absolute ****tastic lack of support - the wonderful Magic Mouse for everything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.