Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I for one am not gonna get any fusion drive ever in an iMac. I want SSD. It's safer, cooler, less noisy, faster/always fast etc., pretty much completely superior to HDs in every way expect storage size, but a lot of people don't need 1-3 GBs of internal data in their iMacs!!
Pure BS and spoken exactly like someone who has never used a Fusion drive.

I have the maxed out 21.5" iMac. If Apple had offered the Fusion drive option on the base model it probably wouldn't have changed anything. I wanted the i7 and more memory along with the Fusion drive so I don't feel screwed.

Creating your own Fusion drive (what I like to call "Fusionstein") is a good alternative but its not officially supported by Apple so who knows what can go wrong. Also, the OS build on Fusion drive iMacs is different than non-Fusion drive iMacs so if you Fusionstein your iMac, it may work but you still may not be getting a fully functional Fusion drive even though it appears that way.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
it makes so much sense.

My 2011 iMac "which I got the day after the 2012 announcement" was much faster than my mates 2012 basic end 21.5'' because I had a faster hard drive in. He was gutted LOL, but I did tell him before he bought it LOL.

Although to be fair I have 32GB ram in mine xD.

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
Paying $250 for adding a 128GB SSD worth $90 and some extra software seems a little to high...

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom

I have the maxed out 21.5" iMac. If Apple had offered the Fusion drive option on the base model it probably wouldn't have changed anything. I wanted the i7 and more memory along with the Fusion drive so I don't feel screwed.

Creating your own Fusion drive (what I like to call "Fusionstein") is a good alternative but its not officially supported by Apple so who knows what can go wrong. Also, the OS build on Fusion drive iMacs is different than non-Fusion drive iMacs so if you Fusionstein your iMac, it may work but you still may not be getting a fully functional Fusion drive even though it appears that way.

Totally agree, there are instances where SSD is more unreliable than a conventional hard drive. SSD only have a certain amount of read/write life span which is pretty much similar about 5/6 years as a convention hard drive.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Apple should allow Fusion Drive also on third-party external booting Mac drives.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Well now it is bit more affordable..now if only Apple allowed you to upgrade RAM on the 21" on your own...

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011

Exactly what of what he said was BS? All his points are true.

His points:
"It's safer, cooler, less noisy, faster/always fast etc."
One SSD only instead of having data over two discs will be safer, not having a harddrive will be cooler and less noisy, and it will of course be faster too since all of your data will be on the SSD, instead of just some.

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
It's still a joke that an SSD doesn't come standard. $250 for a 128GB HD. What a rip off.

you're quite high. it's $250 for a 128gb SSD drive and a 1tb hd, installed.

----------

Because YOU didn't want it. Many did, and couldn't get it in their price range. They got screwed.

that isn't the definition of screwed. early adopters got exactly what they paid for. if they didn't want what they paid for, they were not forced at gunpoint to pay for it.

what you're referring to is buyer's remorse. aka, whining.

words matter.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
You think they'd learn by now.

(More than halfway serious)

----------

Because YOU didn't want it. Many did, and couldn't get it in their price range. They got screwed.

It is ridiculous to see people complaining that the price of technology is changing. Whenever you buy a computer you should assume the same machine will cost you 75% less the next day.

If they didn't want the computer they purchased, they did not get screwd, they made a poor decision. I don't want Apple to stop improving products because some people feel like they are being screwed.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Man there is so much disinformation on this thread. People, please go read over some posts in the iMac forum before spreading more FUD.

The imac's don't ship with a 128 GB SSD alone - it also includes the HDD.
The fusion drive is not dangerous, it is fast, big, and as reliable as any HDD.
The new imac's are not that hard to upgrade yourself and require no heat gun.
5200 rpm HDD are not necessarily slower than 7200 rpm HDD's because revolutions per minute belays no information about disk density.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Paying $250 for adding a 128GB SSD worth $90 and some extra software seems a little to high...

They still only give you 512MB video ram as standard bar the top end 27", that's even worst IMO in 2013!
I think Fusion is slightly better value then this as you get the best of both worlds, fast SSD and big storage, but if they use only 5200rpm drives in 2013 in the Fusion drives that's utterly laughable!

Really, so what do you use to take the screen off then, and what do you use to re-glue the screen back in place? Don't post links, post what you have done.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Man there is so much disinformation on this thread. People, please go read over some posts in the iMac forum before spreading more FUD.

The imac's don't ship with a 128 GB SSD alone - it also includes the HDD.
The fusion drive is not dangerous, it is fast, big, and as reliable as any HDD.
5200 rpm HDD are not necessarily slower than 7200 rpm HDD's because revolutions per minute belays no information about disk density.

Talk about disinformation...
While a fusion drive is not dangerous, it will have a higher failure rate than a SSD drive alone or a HDD drive alone because it contains two devices which increase the chances of such a failure. If one fails the whole logical drive fails.

The new iMacs are NOT hard to upgrade, but they are hard to put back together properly. We do not know yet wether Apple will honor the warranty on an iMac that was put back together with a different adhesive then their own kit (which isn't available yet).

While 5400rpm drives are not necessarily slower than 7200rpm drives, benchmarks have show that most certainly the 5400rpm drive that Apple IS using IS slower. It is a very slow drive.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010

Not to get into a online forum-fight, which is always a waste of time. But I strongly disagree. Of course Fusion is a great thing, certainly a lot better than only having a regular HD, but using only an internal SSD is still a lot better. I understand some people here are in denial, most likely because they can't afford the SSD-only option. ;) I'd rather have 512gb with SSD, than 3tb with fusion...but that's me. Apple should at least have given us the option between fusion and reasonably priced SSD setups.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Exactly what of what he said was BS? All his points are true.

His points:
"It's safer, cooler, less noisy, faster/always fast etc."
One SSD only instead of having data over two discs will be safer, not having a harddrive will be cooler and less noisy, and it will of course be faster too since all of your data will be on the SSD, instead of just some.
And here we have another who has never used a Fusion drive. How do you know the Fusion drive is not safe? Did you program the software?

Less noisy?... again, you don't have one. The Fusion drive iMac is totally silent!

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Talk about disinformation...
While a fusion drive is not dangerous, it will have a higher failure rate than a SSD drive alone or a HDD drive alone because it contains two devices which increase the chances of such a failure. If one fails the whole logical drive fails.

The new iMacs are NOT hard to upgrade, but they are hard to put back together properly. We do not know yet wether Apple will honor the warranty on an iMac that was put back together with a different adhesive then their own kit (which isn't available yet).

While 5400rpm drives are not necessarily slower than 7200rpm drives, benchmarks have show that most certainly the 5400rpm drive that Apple IS using IS slower. It is a very slow drive.

Have you heard much of any blade SSD going bad? Do you think it increases the HDD failure rate by 50%? - because that is what your are implying.
Warranty is a separate question but I agree having Apple branded tape would be nice.
I was unaware of 5200 vs. 7200 HDD spin-off tests from Apple's new iMac drives.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
And here we have another who has never used a Fusion drive. How do you know the Fusion drive is not safe? Did you program the software?

Less noisy?... again, you don't have one. The Fusion drive iMac is totally silent!

Just because you can't afford the SSD-option, don't knock other people's informed opinions. I've used computers for several decades and SSDs for several years. And, yes...I forgot: what if you want to use bootcamp? Then you'll only be able to use bootcamp from the slow, old-fashioned HD. If I didn't need bootcamp, it's likely that I would have bought the 3tb fusion drive.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
-snip-
Really, so what do you use to take the screen off then, and what do you use to re-glue the screen back in place? Don't post links, post what you have done.

Um, guitar picks and double-sided tape. Glue would be a bad idea and heat is not necessary. I would provide the myriad of links but I see that you would rather I post a youtube vid. I'll work on that.

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011

I know the fusion drive is less safe then a single HDD or SSD since you have twice the change to get a faulty drive, since you are using two. It's not about the software, it's about the actual hardware that can fail here.

Less noisy is a fact, a SSD is totally silent, a spinning HDD is as a fact not. You claiming that a harddrive is totally silent is completely wrong and just outright lying.

Last edited by a moderator:

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

Seriously Chris? Do you not know what a Fusion drive is?
A fusion drive is a HDD and a SSD/Flash drive combined into one logic volume. Because of that you have to take the failure rate of the HDD and the SDD into consideration which of course mathematically is higher than each by itself. If one fails the entire logical volume fails.

And again since a Fusion drive contains a HDD with moving parts it is of course going to be louder than a SSD/Flash Drive alone. Even with the HDD Apple is using which IS very quiet, it by itself and in a Fusion drive is louder than a SSD/Flash Drive would be alone.

----------

Have you heard much of any blade SSD going bad? Do you think it increases the HDD failure rate by 50%? - because that is what your are implying.

No, I do not know the failure rates. However, SSDs do fail. HDDs do fail. When you rely on both you are going to have a higher failure rate than either separately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.