Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I have a U2711 monitor (connected to my PC) and have tried plugging my rMBP laptop into it. I have experience with the U2711.

Theoretically, the graphics card could drive the two U2711 monitors, but in practice I'm not sure how. One monitor you either need:

1. Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.
or
2. Mini-DisplayPort to dual-link DVI adapter plus dual-link DVI cable.

That should be able to drive the full resolution of the display.

But the second monitor, that's where you could have trouble. I tried plugging in an HDMI cable from the HDMI port of the laptop to the monitor HDMI port. That only got me 1920x1080 resolution, not full native resolution. I did some research online but couldn't determine if that was the fault of my cable or if the monitor only presents itself as a 1920x1080 monitor over HDMI. I did not read any comments that said someone with a U2711 got a resolution over 1080p with HDMI, so I'm not sure if it's even possible.

Assuming it's an issue with the monitor and HDMI, then the other alternative is an HDMI-to-dual link DVI adapter from the Mac. I'm not sure if those exist or not. Then you'd have dual-link DVI into the monitor which can drive the full resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.