Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Now its at 19.29 and remember if your gonna get one it does not work on the Iphone 5 or the new Itouch devices.
I think you mean the 5 devices do not fit in the Jr. properly. But it is a bluetooth keyboard, technically, and they should work just fine if you can work out the physical issues. They say something about leaving the top off with the 5 right on their website.

I think ThinkGeek got surprised by the i5 and its longer length, or at least it was bad timing. The Mobile and the Jr. are both physically designed around the older device size. It was something like this:

January 2012: announcement of several new products
Summer 2012: new products begin shipping
Sept 2012: iPhone/iPod 5 announcement, new size
Late Sept 2012: iCade Mobile and Jr. go on sale

masvil

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
and the new Raiden pack that just came out a couple weeks back?
...hell, I'm honestly surprised I haven't picked one up already.
Don't do it: iCade Jr. supports only 4 directions, how can you play Raiden and other shutmups?

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Works fine with an iPhone 5, even with a case on!

Mine arrived in the mail this morning. Packaging was pretty good, nothing spectacular but mine arrived in perfect shape and they even included two AA batteries. Setup was easy, I was spoiled by having the "setup" instructions printed on top of the full side iCade's lid, but it's not a big hassle here, the instruction booklet is easy enough to follow.

I have tested this both with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5, both fit in the iCade jr. just fine, even when using cases! I usethis case on my iPhone 4, and this case on my iPhone 5. With the cases on they fit fine both vertically and horizontally (as you can see there's a little spot for it rest in the front).

Yes with the iPhone 5 you need to keep the top lid flap open. Which is fine! Because it can flip backwards and rest, meaning that it's not always half-open. You could possibly remove it if you take apart the iCade jr... but it's probably not worth it. The plastic sides, while they are thick, don't seem as sturdy as the full sized iCade (which was wood), so I wouldn't risk bending or breaking it just to attempt to remove the top.

I have no doubt it'll work with the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS, unless there is some sort of software requirement I'm missing. But I recall using the iCade (fullsize) on my original iPad with no issues. I'll test it with my iPhone 3G after I charge it.

Also, the iCade Jr. is also not too bad when you're holding it in your hands. It can get tiring after a while, but it's doable. The joystick unscrews so you can use the D-pad below it. Not bad at all for $15 shipped, I'm every happy with my purchase. :D

Pictured below is my iPhone 5 (in the case linked above) with the iCade Jr.

Attachments

• iCade JR Front.JPG
    iCade JR Front.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 56
  • iCade JR Front Joystick.JPG
    iCade JR Front Joystick.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,143
  • iCade JR Front Back.JPG
    iCade JR Front Back.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,167
Last edited:

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Don't do it: iCade Jr. supports only 4 directions, how can you play Raiden and other shutmups?

You can move in 8 directions with the iCade Jr., as long as the game is designed to detect both directional "keys" pressed at once which is what the controller sends when you move diagonally. (Just tested it with Minotaur 2112 and you can move in 8 directions).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.