Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Is there really any incentive to Jailbreak anymore, I mean now that Installous is gone. The heart of Jailbreaking is pretty much dead. I also don't expect there to ever be a jailbreak for the iPhone 5.

Apple just moves too quick.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Why another thread on this just so people can argue about pirating of apps. :(

@Threadstarter - if you really needed to talk about this, why not add a comment to the active existing threads :rolleyes:

Just because you steal developer's work product doesn't mean everyone does.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Why another thread on this just so people can argue about pirating of apps. :(

@Threadstarter - if you really needed to talk about this, why not add a comment to the active existing threads :rolleyes:

Just because you steal developer's work product doesn't mean everyone does.

I've reported all these pirating/cydia threads the mods aren't doing anything so obviously they no longer care. At least about this section.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I can think of one reason to J/B: Wifi Analyzer. I run it on my Android devices but because I haven't taken the time to J/B any of my iOS devices I cannot run this essential tool. How essential? Well I was setting up wifi in my house and wanted to measure for dead spots. Could I use an iOS device for that? No. I had to resort to walking around with an Android device. And the irony is that Apple includes a wifi scanner in Mountain Lion which is their most iOS-like desktop OS yet they are clueless as to why a road warrior might want something like wifi analyzer to find a WORKING wifi signal so they can get stuff done. For instance, I wasn't about to fork over twenty dollars a megabyte when I was travelling in Asia so I fired up wifi analyzer again and again to find wifi that had a stable signal level so I could get stuff done.
340x_wifi_analyzer_01.jpg

When the hotel free wifi never goes above -90db, I know it's not worth bothering with trying to sign in. I'd rather walk down the street to Panera or whatever. There would be no way to determine this on a non J/B iOS device.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
I'm staying on 5.1.1 with my 4s because of the jailbreak. It's kept me from getting the iphone 5. I love bitesms, zephyr, so many more, I probably have about 3-4 dozen tweaks/apps from cydia on my phone.

Oh, and I don't pirate apps. I've probably spent between 1-2 hundred on the cydia store (I've bought most, if not all the main apps and tons of others) and easily spent a grand on the app store (apps only).

If I could do on a stock iphone what I can do on a jailbroken one, I would upgrade every single year to the new phone rather than every 2.

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
Jailbreak is about pirating apps it's been proven before there is a lot more reasons to jailbreak but if you ask a kid he would say free apps :(

I just to install pirated apps before but never use them why ? because 98% of the apps on the app store are pure garbage

I buy my apps not at full price but when they go on sale why ? because 99% not worth the asking price

to me jailbreak is more about opening the OS to functionality customization something is limited in IOS

if they put a demo for every single app on the app store people wont be looking to pirate apps at least not at this level

sorry my English sucks I know is because I learned reading forums :D

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I've jailbroken my iPhone over the years. Never to install apps, but to add features.

Like multitasking, easier to access music controls, pull to refresh, unified mailbox, tidier notifications, do not disturb.

Notice a trend there - the vast majority of things I jailbroke for are now a part of iOS. Yes, there were other things, like being able to ssh into my phone, and install things such as LaTeX and python, but in reality, those aren't worth the loss of battery life and stability.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
Who said anything about stealing? I've never downloaded a pirated app. I jailbroke my phone for two reasons: 1) to stop dealing with the home button, which is probably the most frustrating thing about the iPhone (several models made and yet they can't come up with something better?) and 2) to enable tethering, something my service does not offer. The apps I downloaded to enable both these features? I paid for both.

There are reasons to jailbreak other than piracy.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
There's so much more into JB than just stealing apps.
If that's what you're in it for then you're better off stock since hackulo is gone.
Some of us really miss the cool hacks, tweaks and enhacements given to a JB idevice.
Hoping to do Facetime over 3G/4G/LTE now that AT&T gave it to all customer but those on unlimited data plans.
But anyway, besides that there's another 10-12 hacks Im really missing and hope to get updated to work on ios 6.0 and higher and on my i5.
Would be great, I would never ever update it once its JB unless there's another JB:D

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Jailbreak is about pirating apps it's been proven before there is a lot more reasons to jailbreak but if you ask a kid he would say free apps :(

I just to install pirated apps before but never use them why ? because 98% of the apps on the app store are pure garbage

I buy my apps not at full price but when they go on sale why ? because 99% not worth the asking price

to me jailbreak is more about opening the OS to functionality customization something is limited in IOS

if they put a demo for every single app on the app store people wont be looking to pirate apps at least not at this level

sorry my English sucks I know is because I learned reading forums :D

Where to even start with this post I don't even know...

1. The majority of users do NOT pirate apps and instead use it for enhancing their device. On these forums and beyond. People like you make up generalities saying "most users pirate" to make themselves seem less guilty of pirating.

2. The app store has better quality apps than any other digital distribution platform out there (Maybe excluding Steam, since those are PC games). The best thing about the app store is that there are very few garbage apps.

3. I am fine with you buying apps when they go on sale. That's fine because its legitimate.

4. How is 99 cents not worth the price? That's rather cheap and affordable, especially if you can afford the phone in the first place.

5. I agree that they do need demos, but in their defense, they do have a lite version for a lot of apps, just not the hardcore games/apps that cost $5+.

6. http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-english

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Maybe pirating is what jailbreaking means to you. As for me, I use the jailbreak to gain root access of my device. I install tweaks and apps that I NEED.

iFile
Change default navigation to Google Maps
Unlocking Siri to her full potential
Applocker
Color profile
Private Albums
A third party tethering App (I don't mind paying a developer a one time to fee to tether my iPhone when I need to use it. But I do mind paying an extra $30 a month for a feature that I may not use every week)
Folder enhancer
Ringtone creator that doesn't require iTunes
Emulators
Cylay (real phone security)

And those are just the tweaks/apps that I named from the top of my head within seconds.

P.S. kids who pirate stuff don't donate money to the hackers that jailbreak the iPhone. Nor do they even show any thanks. Trust me, the demise of installous will not affect the JB community in any negative way. As a matter of fact, it will help the community because a lot of devs disliked jailbreaking because a lot of people abused their work to just pirate Apps.

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
Where to even start with this post I don't even know...

1. The majority of users do NOT pirate apps and instead use it for enhancing their device. On these forums and beyond. People like you make up generalities saying "most users pirate" to make themselves seem less guilty of pirating.

2. The app store has better quality apps than any other digital distribution platform out there (Maybe excluding Steam, since those are PC games). The best thing about the app store is that there are very few garbage apps.

3. I am fine with you buying apps when they go on sale. That's fine because its legitimate.

4. How is 99 cents not worth the price? That's rather cheap and affordable, especially if you can afford the phone in the first place.

5. I agree that they do need demos, but in their defense, they do have a lite version for a lot of apps, just not the hardcore games/apps that cost $5+.

6. http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-english

Lol..

1. not true many people do not confess that they pirated applications and of course the majority use jailbreak to enhance their device + get free apps

2. wrong Android store have the same crap and only a few good apps

3. no comment

4. if the price is 99C I agree with you but there is apps way more expensive and still there is more crap than good apps

5. they need demos for every single app for example I purchased Bastion full price because I knew the game before and that game is worth $15 not $5

6. thanks :eek::D

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Lol..

1. not true many people do not confess that they pirated applications and of course the majority use jailbreak to enhance their device + get free apps

2. wrong Android store have the same crap and only a few good apps

5. they need demos for every single app for example I purchased Bastion full price because I knew the game before and that game is worth $15 not $5

1. I used their jailbroken devices and none of them had anything installed to pirate, not even AppSync. I only knew one other person who pirated apps

2. Android store has a lot more crap, but I believe the iOS store has more good quality apps than bad quality. You can usually tell by the icon :p

5. You could always look up a "Let's play" video of the app on youtube (for games at leasT) and review videos for other apps to see what the app is like before buying it if there is no lite version.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I don't know about the general population, but of all the people who jailbreak I know, not one of them pirates apps.

I think there is a notion out there that the vast majority of people who can afford a £600 phone, don't need to pirate a £0.99 app.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
More, extrapolation based on FACTS that I have gathered. What pirates do is just say "all people pirate" without even bothering to find out if anyone else does.

So when someone else states something it's based on generalities and when you say something it's based on "FACTS" :rolleyes:

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Is there really any incentive to Jailbreak anymore, I mean now that Installous is gone. The heart of Jailbreaking is pretty much dead. I also don't expect there to ever be a jailbreak for the iPhone 5.

Apple just moves too quick.

That I*** crap was never the heart of jailbreaking. Move along.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
I actually asked people if they pirate. That's a yes or no answer. Pirates without thinking say "everyone pirates"

You ask one or two random people if they are pirates and suddenly that becomes statistically significant "FACS"? LOL You need to re-evaluate your definition of "FACTS" LOL

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
You ask one or two random people if they are pirates and suddenly that becomes statistically significant "FACS"? LOL You need to re-evaluate your definition of "FACTS" LOL

Actually about 30 or so kids who jailbreak at my school. Plus 3 people at work. And 2 apple store employees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.