Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I've never owned an Apple device, and i already have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 but,

Seriously, after I've seen the things it can teach for an amateur musician, i really can't wait to buy one, but i'd rather wait for the next version, which is rumored to come out in March right?

It's not like I have enough money to buy one now anyway, but I can get it without VAT and im thinking of the wi-fi only version with 64 Gb's

What are the chances of it coming in March? I would hate to wait til the end of the year...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
which is rumored to come out in March right?
That is a blind rumor with little basis for fact. If you want an iPad get one now. If the iPad 5 does out in 3 months sell the current iPad and get the new one.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I was in the same position as you, I went ahead and got the ipad 4.

If I really want the new one I can sell my ipad 4 and pick up the new one. It could be longer than march too.

McCaffers

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
I agree with the replies. Live for now. Who knows what the future holds. Worse case scenario you can upgrade in March by selling the 4th generation or you know, keep the 4th and enjoy it, as it works great.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
That is a blind rumor with little basis for fact. If you want an iPad get one now. If the iPad 5 does out in 3 months sell the current iPad and get the new one.

Agreed. I don't think we'll see the next version of the iPad until the summer at least.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Learn to be patient and wait for the iPad 5.

If you don't need one/don't have enough money, there's no point.

March will come a lot quicker you think.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Learn to be patient and wait for the iPad 5.

If you don't need one/don't have enough money, there's no point.

March will come a lot quicker you think.

By March i think i will have enough money already.

Im crossing fingers for it to come out then and not in summer time.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
So you want something that doesn't exist?

Yes. ipad 5 will be a major form factor upgrade--less weight, less bezel. I'd certainly wait till february and look at the tea leaves, sub contractor leaks, etc.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Agreed. I don't think we'll see the next version of the iPad until the summer at least.

Apple these days are all over the place with iPad product releases. It's NO longer a safe bet to say product X will be released at a certain time during the year. So it's possible we could see a mini update in the Spring as well as the 5th gen iPad. ;)

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
As someone who owns an iPad 3, and has played around with the 4 in stores, I would say both are incredibly capable machines for tablet-type tasks. Being that both run current software just fine, the added value of the 4 should be its ability to run future software updates without introducing sluggishness, as well.

My educated guess is that the iPad five will most likely be primarily about making the device thinner, lighter, better battery life, and maybe some geewhiz features like NFC). If these things sound important to you, I would wait.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with what's currently available!

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Get a 4 if you need one.

If the 5 does come out in March it will be

A) Hard to find
B) Have issues with the first batch just like most of the other lines.

I'd seriously wait a few months after initial production for the kinks to be worked out.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Get a 4 if you need one.

If the 5 does come out in March it will be

A) Hard to find
B) Have issues with the first batch just like most of the other lines.

I'd seriously wait a few months after initial production for the kinks to be worked out.

What issues did "most other lines" have? I bought my iPad 3 on launch day, and it's been perfect.

al1cre

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
Apple is reportedly already looking to replace the displays used in the iPhone5 with a different technology. If true, they wouldn't want to use the older tech for an iPad 5 but need a new tech to make the iPad thinner. I'm guessing that they'd want more time and don't feel pressure since they just released a new iPad anyway.

Of course my opinion is worth what you paid for it. :)

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
As someone who owns an iPad 3, and has played around with the 4 in stores, I would say both are incredibly capable machines for tablet-type tasks. Being that both run current software just fine, the added value of the 4 should be its ability to run future software updates without introducing sluggishness, as well.

My educated guess is that the iPad five will most likely be primarily about making the device thinner, lighter, better battery life, and maybe some geewhiz features like NFC). If these things sound important to you, I would wait.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with what's currently available!

It may be redesigned, thinner and whatever, but most people throw a case on it and won't realize any benefits (see iphone 5). NFC means nothing. You can bet on a processor bump but it's not as if the ipad 3 or 4 is struggling with current apps.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
Have you had other Apple products before? I think for the average user, their products tend to run like beasts well after the product has been updated several times.

From what I've seen on here, iPads 2s and 3s are still running as good now as the day they came out. And depending on the post, some still feel that way about the iPad 1. My iPad 3 is awesome and I hope to keep it a few more years.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I feel the same with iPhones and MacBooks. My iPhone 4 was 2 years old before it started slowing down and the home button started having issues. My 2007 MacBook was 4 years old when it first started slowing down. I upgraded last year only because I wanted to save this year for a vacation and my in-laws needed a reliable, if not top-of-the-line, laptop. If my in-laws hadn't gone through a series of crappy, used PCs, I probably would have waited until 2014 to upgrade.

I understand waiting until you have the money for the iPad to buy it, but when you do and there are no confirmed Apple press releases or a multitude of rumored release dates for the iPad 5, just buy the iPad 4. You'll love it and when the 5 does get released, it won't make your 4 any less awesome or useful.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Have you had other Apple products before? I think for the average user, their products tend to run like beasts well after the product has been updated several times.

From what I've seen on here, iPads 2s and 3s are still running as good now as the day they came out. And depending on the post, some still feel that way about the iPad 1. My iPad 3 is awesome and I hope to keep it a few more years.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I feel the same with iPhones and MacBooks. My iPhone 4 was 2 years old before it started slowing down and the home button started having issues. My 2007 MacBook was 4 years old when it first started slowing down. I upgraded last year only because I wanted to save this year for a vacation and my in-laws needed a reliable, if not top-of-the-line, laptop. If my in-laws hadn't gone through a series of crappy, used PCs, I probably would have waited until 2014 to upgrade.

I understand waiting until you have the money for the iPad to buy it, but when you do and there are no confirmed Apple press releases or a multitude of rumored release dates for the iPad 5, just buy the iPad 4. You'll love it and when the 5 does get released, it won't make your 4 any less awesome or useful.
I own iPads as well as android tablets and as much as I like android and those tablets I come back to iOS because of the buttery smooth feel to the user interface and the logical approach to the way things were designed. With that said Jelly Bean is the only mobile OS that gives you that feeling of buttery smooth feedback to the OS but Apple still has it when it comes to the logical approach on how you interact with the OS.

My iPad 2 still feels smooth with iOS 6.01. I just wish they changed the App Store back to the way it used where they broke things up in pages. Now there is some serious lag when you have to wait for the entire page to download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.