Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Have you tried mactubes?

Yeah but with qt player its 1080p is far frim flawlesses, 720p has enough problems.

----------

This works great on my G5 Quad.. but I do understand that Lower G5's and G4's of course want to view 720p and 1080p also. Someone should develop an app similar to coreplayer which will do the same thing.

So long as one has the right codecs, its even possible for the G4 to play and stream 720p or 1080p.

A blu-ray player would also be nice.

Yes agreed dude, my old g5 i had could handle it but theses just cant make it as is.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
To get anywhere near the speed of CorePlayer you will need to know PowerPC assembly - or at least be familiar with Altivec extensions - simple as.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
To get anywhere near the speed of CorePlayer you will need to know PowerPC assembly - or at least be familiar with Altivec extensions - simple as.

At this point I don't think that we should hold our breath for anything close to coreplayer. Sadly these machines are turning into servers (Personal file servers I mean not web servers) and kids toys :(

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Depends on your usage.. My G5 Quad is a workhorse.. far from being a "toy". The Pismo, now thats my little toy right there. OS 9 is a toy OS for my own nostalgia.

The what ifs... what if PowerPC promised a stable and stronger roadmap for Apple back in 2004-2005? While the move to Intel was smart, I think IBM could have done a lot more to help and bring Apple the 3.0 Ghz G5 it needed and a lower power based derivative G5 for laptops.

They could have, but they chose NOT TO.

At this point I don't think that we should hold our breath for anything close to coreplayer. Sadly these machines are turning into servers (Personal file servers I mean not web servers) and kids toys :(

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Depends on your usage.. My G5 Quad is a workhorse.. far from being a "toy". The Pismo, now thats my little toy right there. OS 9 is a toy OS for my own nostalgia.

The what ifs... what if PowerPC promised a stable and stronger roadmap for Apple back in 2004-2005? While the move to Intel was smart, I think IBM could have done a lot more to help and bring Apple the 3.0 Ghz G5 it needed and a lower power based derivative G5 for laptops.

They could have, but they chose NOT TO.

No they could not of, the statistics show that the power usage for a g5 processor in a laptop based computer would have failed drastically. The g5 was a very inefficient processor and you know it!

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I know... But they could have kept the PowerPC going in the desktop line and stopped with Snow Leopard.. It was not right to drop PPC support from Snow Leopard.. Lion, maybe.. though I would never have run Lion on my G5 if you paid me.. Mountain Lion? Who knows?? Regrettably, we will never know.

I think because of the fact the dual core G5's were just that.. dual core and Quad Core, their technology and hardware could have made use of Grand Central Dispatch.. I would have liked to see Snow Leopard as the final OS for PowerPC.. Intel can have Lion and ML :)

No they could not of, the statistics show that the power usage for a g5 processor in a laptop based computer would have failed drastically. The g5 was a very inefficient processor and you know it!

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I know... But they could have kept the PowerPC going in the desktop line and stopped with Snow Leopard.. It was not right to drop PPC support from Snow Leopard.. Lion, maybe.. though I would never have run Lion on my G5 if you paid me.. Mountain Lion? Who knows?? Regrettably, we will never know.

I think because of the fact the dual core G5's were just that.. dual core and Quad Core, their technology and hardware could have made use of Grand Central Dispatch.. I would have liked to see Snow Leopard as the final OS for PowerPC.. Intel can have Lion and ML :)

I can agree that sl should have been ported to powerpc

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland

Well, PA Semi's G5 derivative was more stable, power-efficient, could be put into a laptop and was faster too(I think) than IBM's G5.

While Freescale was starting too produce the 7448 and after that the e600 based CPUs - which were single and dual-core and were much faster with much faster FSB.

I think the PowerPC industry was just getting better when Apple left/ about year or 2 after Apple left IMO but a while after Apple was gone there was no reason to make consumer-based CPUs so it started to go into decline again.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Yeah but with qt player its 1080p is far frim flawlesses, 720p has enough problems.

----------

Yes agreed dude, my old g5 i had could handle it but theses just cant make it as is.

Try xbmc, performs very very good.and supports subtitles!

Jut wish someone continued to develop shiira project:
http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/shiira/

My main browser is demeter 1.0.9 wich is shiira based and it is awesome

Last edited:

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
My mac when i boot a live disc it looks like my screens melting aswell with artifacts then it goes to a black screen. This is after the whole loading thing.

Sounds like your GPU doesn't get on well with Ubuntu. What model is it? What stage does it die at? When it's booting hit the Esc key and see if you can post anything suspicious.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Sound like a graphics card gone bad

Leopard disc is fine so is tiger.

----------

Sounds like your GPU doesn't get on well with Ubuntu. What model is it? What stage does it die at? When it's booting hit the Esc key and see if you can post anything suspicious.

Its the titanium 800mhz powerbook g4, I read its common on these these machines. Its a shame, I love ubuntu with gnome :/

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Leopard disc is fine so is tiger.

----------

Its the titanium 800mhz powerbook g4, I read its common on these these machines. Its a shame, I love ubuntu with gnome :/

Have you tried amiga 4.1 the g4 is not officially supported but I have it running on my sawtooth faster than snow runs on my imac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.