Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeicaMan111

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
With the latest generation Mac Minis the higher model is a quad core.

So now what is the difference between this model and the "server" one?

To me it seems like it is just the second terabyte hard drive! And of course the server app.

Is this correct? So I can just install a second hard drive myself and buy the server app from the app store and save a bit of money?

Thanks.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
That is the only difference, but the price isn't really much more than doing it yourself.

For example, you'll need a $35 data doubler kit from OWC to get the 2nd drive cable and screws for a 2nd drive (neither the base or mid mini have the cable or screws for a second drive). Shipping adds another $6 or so, so let's just figure $40.

A 2nd 1TB drive (which is what the server comes with) is $70 for the cheapest model on Newegg right now.

The Server app is $20.

That's $130, so Apple is charging you $70 to install that for you. That's not an insane markup at all and many people wouldn't be comfortable opening their mini up.

Not to mention you really should also buy the mini logicboard tool to safely pull the logic board out to get to the hard drives. That's another $6+$6 shipping on iFixit. So the final Apple "Tax" is $58 more than doing it yourself. (And that's assuming you already own the T6 and T8 screwdrivers you'll need to do the job)

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
So if I buy a ssd of Ebay for a 2012 mac mini, to install the sad I have to spend what?$$ on sata, cable brackets,etc, and maybe tools?

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
I've been watching the cost and trouble of ssd upgrade for a about 2 months now and i don't know if saving $125 max is worth it. I'm wishing i had purchased the fusion upgrade for my mac mini.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I've been watching the cost and trouble of ssd upgrade for a about 2 months now and i don't know if saving $125 max is worth it. I'm wishing i had purchased the fusion upgrade for my mac mini.

The mac mini is quite easy to install drives in, I have done at least a dozen of them and some more than once. Just buy the kit and you will be good to go. tbh it's harder to put a single drive back into the mini than 2 hdd's.

LeicaMan111

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Not to mention you really should also buy the mini logicboard tool to safely pull the logic board out to get to the hard drives. That's another $6+$6 shipping on iFixit. So the final Apple "Tax" is $58 more than doing it yourself. (And that's assuming you already own the T6 and T8 screwdrivers you'll need to do the job)

Doesn't the OWC come with the logic board tool? And also the T6 and T8 screwdrivers? I thought the OWC kit for $40 comes with everything I would need.

Even if the Apple price was the same I would rather do it myself because it gives me more options, like adding the 750GB Seagate Momentus XT "Fusion" drive or a pure SSD drive for the second drive, rather being limited to having both drives as slow 5400rpm ones.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Doesn't the OWC come with the logic board tool? And also the T6 and T8 screwdrivers? I thought the OWC kit for $40 comes with everything I would need.

Even if the Apple price was the same I would rather do it myself because it gives me more options, like adding the 750GB Seagate Momentus XT "Fusion" drive or a pure SSD drive for the second drive, rather being limited to having both drives as slow 5400rpm ones.

Yes, I just saw there are two versions of the kit, one includes the tools and the logic board tool and right now it's only $3 more than the bare kit. That's a nice deal.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/DIYIMM11D2/

However, that green spudger in the kit is worthless IMO. I bought the tool kit from them a couple of years ago and that spudger is hard plastic and easy to break (I broke mine taking a PRAM battery out of an old Mac). It's also much wider than the Apple spudgers. I prefer the actual black plastic Apple spudgers which are a little softer and have a pointed end along with a flat end and a hook, which you can get on eBay for under $5 shipped, normally in a pack of 1, 2, 3, whatever you want. Having two on hand is a good idea. And you MUST use a spudger to carefully pull up the connectors and put them back in place. A butter knife is just asking for trouble. If you're going to be working on something you've spent $600-1000 on, spend the extra $5 and get some Apple spudgers.

I've opened up a 2010 mini, 2011 mini, and 2012 mini to put SSD's in them. It's not hard and after Apple took the optical drive out in 2011 it's even a bit easier. Just follow the ifixit instructions.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+Mac+Mini+Late+2012+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/11713/1

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

The install is quite easy. I was able to take apart 2 Mac Minis take the SSD and HDD from one and move it to the other swap the HDD and swap the RAM in under an hour. I even had to go back in a 2nd time because I forgot to push the HDD connector all the way in. This is my first experience with a Mac Mini and the 3rd time I had taken the first one apart. I had gotten a bad one on my first purchase and had to swap my SSD, HDD and RAM and move it over. But I have taken apart 2 MBP in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.