Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I work in some places that don't have wifi and I have to use my phone to download files for work whether it be spreadsheets or documents. My question is this my main phone is a galaxy S3 and that being said is there any way to transfer files from my phone to mini without wifi. Tethering isn't really an option either I don't want to make my cell plan anymore expensive then it already is.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
One way you could do it i guess is with an airport express. You could pick up an older previous generation one (the power brick sized ones) pretty cheap and use that.

You'll need a power point onbviously...

korbearus10

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
California
One way you could do it i guess is with an airport express. You could pick up an older previous generation one (the power brick sized ones) pretty cheap and use that.

So I'm guessing you want him to create a wifi network, albeit one without actual internet. What would be the next step then? I believe Airport Express doesn't support creating a network drive via usb port and even then, I don't know how the iPad will have access to that.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I work in some places that don't have wifi and I have to use my phone to download files for work whether it be spreadsheets or documents. My question is this my main phone is a galaxy S3 and that being said is there any way to transfer files from my phone to mini without wifi. Tethering isn't really an option either I don't want to make my cell plan anymore expensive then it already is.

You'd be better off with a Nexus 7, since you have easy access to the file system, just like on your SGS 3.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
You'd be better off with a Nexus 7, since you have easy access to the file system, just like on your SGS 3.

The build quality on that nexus is just so poor. I hate Asus I'm just trying to make the mini fit. I was hoping that I was missing some way to be able to make this happen.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011

I have the same problem at work except I have an iPhone. I have been transferring files over Bluetooth. The app I use is air disk pro, but there are others that can also do this. I'm not sure if you can do this with your phone, but it has worked quite well for me so far.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Can't the OP just set their phone up as a personal hot spot? That's how I give my gen 1 Nexus 7 tinternet access when I'm outside WiFi coverage.

OP doesn't want to spend more money on tethering plan.

And carriers will block or sending warning messages to those who tether illegal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Your options are rather limited when there's no wifi. I'd say if you really need net access and you frequently find yourself outside of a wifi hotspot you need to either purchase a mifi, pay for the tethering or sell the mini and then buy a LTE enabled iPad mini

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I've seen portable hard drives with built in wifi: http://www.businessinsider.com/best-wifi-hard-drives-2011-8?op=1. OP could store the files on them and transfer them to either device.

I think I'm interpreting the original post as he currently downloads them into a smart phone (probably) before leaving a wifi-enabled area (maybe at work), then wants to work on or view some of them on an iPad. So why not store the files on one of these wifi drives and then access them with either iDevice instead? Yes, one more thing to carry but that seems a given per the requirements offered by OP.

Or maybe he's downloading them via cellular (away from wifi) to that phone and is then looking for a way to work on them on the iPad? In this case too, I think those wifi drives plus the right apps would be the way to move the files off the phone, onto the drive, then off the drive and onto the iPad.

For what it's worth OP, I jettisoned the cell phone (and the expensive monthly bill) for an iPad LTE. Paired with earbuds + mic and voip app, it is now my cell phone for those somewhat rare times I need to talk to someone. When I'm away from wifi and really need to connect, I can dynamically buy 1Gb for $20 via LTE but so far I haven't had to do that once (I always seem to find free wifi). However, even if my situation was more like yours- where I need access and can't always find free wifi- $20/month for one device that covers both needs is much less expensive than $100/month for 2 devices. iPad Mini with LTE + Earbuds with mic + Talkatone app & Google Voice & Skype & jiwire wifi finder apps make a great alternative to just giving AT&T or Verizon about $100/month forever. I get unlimited calling in and out, unlimited texting in and out for a data fee so far of $0/month (but sooner or later, I'll probably have to spend $20 for some LTE in some situation. I'm guessing that will be about 2 times per year.).

Last edited:

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The build quality on that nexus is just so poor.

Respectfully, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I have a Nexus 7 and it's excellent. It's every bit as well finished as my iPad mini.

I know people love to bash Android and Google but the fact is, it's a tactic that's worn out.

Nice Try... :)

korbearus10

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
California
I've seen portable hard drives with built in wifi: http://www.businessinsider.com/best-wifi-hard-drives-2011-8?op=1Or maybe he's downloading them via cellular (away from wifi) to that phone and is then looking for a way to work on them on the iPad? In this case too, I think those wifi drives plus the right apps would be the way to move the files off the phone, onto the drive, then off the drive and onto the iPad.

This is how I'm interpreting the OP. So how does iPad access the Wifi Drive?

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Respectfully, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I have a Nexus 7 and it's excellent. It's every bit as well finished as my iPad mini.

I know people love to bash Android and Google but the fact is, it's a tactic that's worn out.

Nice Try... :)

I agree with you...I had the N7 and there was nothing wrong with the build quality. It actually has a better one handed hold/feel than the iPad Mini IMO.

In the end, I am too invested in the Apple ecosystem, so the N7 went bye bye back to Staples. Great device though.

Seems like the OP needs to spend a few extra bucks and swap that Mini for a LTE Mini. Personally I would of got the LTE version if I knew I'm in non-wifi areas a lot.

korbearus10

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
California
Those drives create their own network the iPad could connect to.

And then how do you access the drive once connected to the wifi? I'm new to iPad and I've never tried this so I'm curious. It was my understanding that you couldn't access network drives. Or am I missing something.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
And then how do you access the drive once connected to the wifi? I'm new to iPad and I've never tried this so I'm curious. It was my understanding that you couldn't access network drives. Or am I missing something.

These type of drives also provide a free app from the App Store that's used to connect to the drives. You can't connect to a shared drive from within iOS, but you can from within an app.

If you can afford a galaxy S3 and iPad Mini you can afford a tethering plan.

Not necessarily. Just because someone has a smartphone and/or a tablet doesn't mean they can add to their monthly bill. There's a reason the Wi-Fi iPads sell so well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.