Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

extramental

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
whats up i cant find a straight answere to this question so i hope you guys can help me.

i have windows 7 64 bit cd and i have 2012 imac that will arrive in few days , i also have 16 gb flash drive. my question is considering that imac has no cd drive how can I burn a ISO image of windows on the flash drive ( i have macbook 13 in 2011year also) using my macbook and than hopefully install it on imac 2012.
thanks
sincerely me

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
whats up i cant find a straight answere to this question so i hope you guys can help me.

i have windows 7 64 bit cd and i have 2012 imac that will arrive in few days , i also have 16 gb flash drive. my question is considering that imac has no cd drive how can I burn a ISO image of windows on the flash drive ( i have macbook 13 in 2011year also) using my macbook and than hopefully install it on imac 2012.
thanks
sincerely me

Buy parallels 8, and download a Win7 ISO from a torrent and use your legit product key to install.

Ps. bootcamp is garbage.

extramental

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
i cant buy an external drive right now .
my question is how do i burn iso on flash drive and yes i do need bootcamp for gaming.
**** parallels

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
I had a lot of problems with this.

I had a legitimate Win 7 64bit ISO. Used the M$ tool to put the ISO on a thumb drive and I could not get OS X to boot from it at all. I even installed rEFIt. I could see the ISO but it wouldn't boot from it. Had to burn a DVD in the end and do it that way.

Just a word of advice. If you manage to get it working via USB please let me know how :)

Also... Disk Utility will not mount the ISO to the USB stick. I actually had to use a Windows machine to do so. It was a massive amount of hassle.

Slow Programmer

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
I don't mean to sound silly, but I honestly don't know. What does Apple recommend to do it this situation? Have you called them for assistance? I am sure they have looked at this as they have been removing the Superdrives from their computers with each new generation that is released, yet they still offer Boot Camp.

Adam552

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2006
Liverpool, UK.
Open Boot Camp Assistant on the iMac.. it will put the ISO on the flash drive along with driver files and do it all for you.

Transfer the ISO over using the flash drive first though (or any other way).

extramental

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
my imac will arrive in 3 days so ill have to do that as of now im gona put the iso on the flash than whenver i have imac ill transfer it on hdd and see what happens

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The Bootcamp Assistant on Macs without optical drive will offer you an option of making an installable USB drive from an ISO

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
I don't mean to sound silly, but I honestly don't know. What does Apple recommend to do it this situation? Have you called them for assistance? I am sure they have looked at this as they have been removing the Superdrives from their computers with each new generation that is released, yet they still offer Boot Camp.

Apple offer Boot Camp so that people have it as an option. If people have a little bit of trouble accessing something that Apple probably don't want their users doing in the first place - I'm sure they're okay with it.

private4587

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Bootcamp not working

I received my new 21" imac last Friday and has I need windows decided to try and use Bootcamp to install windows 7. After trying various flash drives i got one that worked. Bootcamp ran creating bootable flash drive with required files and created boot partition. But when rebooted it presented me with the drive options and when selected flashdrive came back with non bootable disk please insert correct disk? Any help would be much appreciated.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

thanks
sincerely me

Microsoft has a utility that will let you image it to a bootable USB drive...

im downloading an iso right now just need someone to explain how to burn it on flash drive

----------

thats an exe file i dont have windwos only mac

...which you should run on any nearby PC. The world is filled with PCs, I'm sure you'll find one you can use for this simple task.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.