Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berryracer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Dubai, UAE
I am a Windows user and have never used a Mac. Since I bought an iPhone 5 recently and was very impressed with it. I am thinking of buying a Mac Book Pro with the Retina display but one thing is stopping me and making me not being able to switch from Windows.....

I usea program called SVP (Smooth Video Project) and what that does it play all your videos @ 60 FPS constantly. If a movie is originally 25 or 30 FPS, it will increase the framerate to 60 FPS giving you a totally new and realistic exprerience..

Is there such a program or utility? I really cannot do without this especially when I connect my notebook to my big screen 46" SONY LCD, it makes movies look so much better

Please advice

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know of a program, but wanted to reply simply to voice a strong opinion AGAINST any and all video "smoothing." I formerly owned an Audio/Video design/installation company and have had extensive training in setting up video displays. Video Smoothing was first implemented in 120hz (and similarly 240hz) LCD TV sets because of their tendency to suffer from motion blur in fast paced action scenes. Video Smoothing (which goes by a variety of terms depending on the manufacturer) creates additional frames of video that were not captured by the camera originally. I've yet to see any version of this create motion that is truly lifelike. Instead, it makes everything seem as though it were created by computer graphics animation. It is much preferable to simply multiply the existing frames of the original video to match the native video output of the monitor. In the case of 24hz movies, each frame is simply repeated 5 times, a process that is imperceptible to the human eye, and provides the same cinematic experience that the director intended. With 30hz video, the images are simply doubled, quadrupled, etc to match the native output.

Two steps that every consumer should take with every new TV monitor purchase: 1) Switch the video mode off of "Dynamic" which is only designed to set one TV apart from another on the showroom floor - choose Cinema, Movie, or anything like that - better yet, use a calibration disc. 2) Turn off all Video Smoothing.

Now that I've said my piece, best of luck finding whatever software you are hoping to find.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I don't know of a program, but wanted to reply simply to voice a strong opinion AGAINST any and all video "smoothing." I formerly owned an Audio/Video design/installation company and have had extensive training in setting up video displays. Video Smoothing was first implemented in 120hz (and similarly 240hz) LCD TV sets because of their tendency to suffer from motion blur in fast paced action scenes.

It all depends on the interpolation algorithm. For example, in Finland, some commercial channels already broadcast pre-interpolated movies meaning they're as if they were shot at 48 fps. (Such an example is "300" broadcast by MTV3 on 2012.07.13.) I've thoroughly examined (on a field-by-field basis, for my article series on (de)interlacing (part one is HERE if interested) the interpolation quality of these broadcasts and found them stunningly good. (So is the interpolation quality of, say, Episode when using the best - and slowest- interpolation method: motion compensation) Of course, a runtime interpolation will be of waaay lower quality. No wonder a TV set can't interpolate properly -as everything has to be made in realtime, not even an imaginary CPU running at 50 GHz would be sufficient to deliver as good quality as the above-mentioned Episode when using motion compensation.

----------

I am a Windows user and have never used a Mac. Since I bought an iPhone 5 recently and was very impressed with it. I am thinking of buying a Mac Book Pro with the Retina display but one thing is stopping me and making me not being able to switch from Windows.....

I usea program called SVP (Smooth Video Project) and what that does it play all your videos @ 60 FPS constantly. If a movie is originally 25 or 30 FPS, it will increase the framerate to 60 FPS giving you a totally new and realistic exprerience..

Is there such a program or utility? I really cannot do without this especially when I connect my notebook to my big screen 46" SONY LCD, it makes movies look so much better

Please advice

1, my prev. post is also addressed to you. It is definitely worth interpolating if you use the right tools.

2, if you do have Episode (at, say, work), do use its motion compensation mode for pre-processing movies. If you don't, let me know and I list some of the freeware but much harder-to-use tools. (Unfortunately, HandBrake is not capable of interpolation.)

berryracer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Dubai, UAE
I don't know of a program, but wanted to reply simply to voice a strong opinion AGAINST any and all video "smoothing." I formerly owned an Audio/Video design/installation company and have had extensive training in setting up video displays. Video Smoothing was first implemented in 120hz (and similarly 240hz) LCD TV sets because of their tendency to suffer from motion blur in fast paced action scenes. Video Smoothing (which goes by a variety of terms depending on the manufacturer) creates additional frames of video that were not captured by the camera originally. I've yet to see any version of this create motion that is truly lifelike. Instead, it makes everything seem as though it were created by computer graphics animation. It is much preferable to simply multiply the existing frames of the original video to match the native video output of the monitor. In the case of 24hz movies, each frame is simply repeated 5 times, a process that is imperceptible to the human eye, and provides the same cinematic experience that the director intended. With 30hz video, the images are simply doubled, quadrupled, etc to match the native output.

Two steps that every consumer should take with every new TV monitor purchase: 1) Switch the video mode off of "Dynamic" which is only designed to set one TV apart from another on the showroom floor - choose Cinema, Movie, or anything like that - better yet, use a calibration disc. 2) Turn off all Video Smoothing.

Now that I've said my piece, best of luck finding whatever software you are hoping to find.

Thanks for the explanation but I still don't get it. Why do you advice against video smoothing? I didn't see where's theb ad part? I only noticed that now I wanted to rewatch all my old movies as they were THAT good

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.