Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I bought iLife 11 and iWork 09 when they were released, as family pack disks.

For some time both suites have been installed on my two most recent Macs and also on my two old Macs.

I now want to give my two old Macs with these installed to my son.

He does not live at home, so is not in the same household, so not covered by the Family Pack EULA.

So I uninstalled all six programmes from the two most recent Macs and purchased fresh and installed them from the App Store.

The three iWork apps appear in the App Store list as purchased today, all is as I expected.

But the three iLife apps show as purchased February 2012, and are not showing as recent purchases in my iTunes account...not what I expected.

There is another slight wrinkle in the three iLife apps: when I went to the App Store to repurchase iPhoto and iMovie they showed as £13.99, so I assumed I was purchasing them as I intended, but Garageband showed as already purchased.

I am not going to lose too much sleep over this as I have tried to do the honest thing in good faith and seem to be prevented, but I don't like mysteries and loose ends, so any input welcome.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Just been told that iLife is included with Mountain Lion, so I did the correct thing buying new copy of iWork but didn't need to do anything about iLife.

Good that the App Store protected me from an unnecessary purchase of iLife.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
iLife is only preinstalled if you buy a Mac.

I think I misunderstood what I was told, but the result is the same. I didn't need to repurchase iLife because my two most recent Macs came with iLife preinstalled, not because iLife came with Lion.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.