Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:06 PM   #1
McClassic
macrumors newbie

Transferring Hard Drive

I'm thinking of buy a Mac Mini and I'd like to re-use the 1TB in my 2009 MBP running OS X 10.8.2. I understand the classic way to do this would be to migrate the data to the Mac Mini and the clone that drive. However, I thought I had read that with ML it may be possible to simply stick the 1TB straight in to the Mac Mini or am I dreaming?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:21 PM   #2
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

You could very well reuse your old drive, but the Mac mini will of course come with a new one.

It is true that with the later minis you can install dual hard drive, though this would require you to purchase parts and install them (and the hard drive) install the mini. The work isn't that hard, but you would want to be comfortable working inside your computers.

One last thing, if you use Migration Assistant to copy your data over, there is no need to clone the drive. After successfully migrating your data using Migration Assistant, you could then use Disk Utility to format the old drive for reuse.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Are you talking about physically swapping the drive from your MBP into your Mini? I wouldn't do that, if I were you. Keep in mind the hardware is completely different; the configuration of the OS on your MBP drive is expecting things like a built-in camera, etc. I would definitely keep a backup of the drive, but just do a data transfer to the new drive.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:56 PM   #4
McClassic
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

One more question, when I upgraded my harddrive on the MBP I used TimeMachine. When launching MS Office again I had to re-enter my serial number - I presume this would also be the case using Migration assistant? I ask, as the licence I have is limited to 2 installs.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:58 PM   #5
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClassic View Post
Thanks for the replies.

One more question, when I upgraded my harddrive on the MBP I used TimeMachine. When launching MS Office again I had to re-enter my serial number - I presume this would also be the case using Migration assistant? I ask, as the licence I have is limited to 2 installs.
Probably, but you can call MS and explain to them the situation; they'll let you register it again. As long as you don't have it currently on more than 2 computers you're ok.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

My suggestion is to leave the Mini alone, and just use the old drive as an external.

Either put it into an external enclosure, or, consider a USB3/SATA docking station.

The docking station concept works well, as you can buy additional bare drives and "swap them out" as needed.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help