Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Jeffaugust
macrumors newbie

Trying to figure out how best to use my MacBook Pro for recording

Hey everyone, I couldn't find a post that really addressed my specific question. I apologize if this is addressed somewhere else.

I have a new MacBook Pro. I am a songwriter. I used my old MacBook Pro to record demos. I have a behringer mixer, I used a "y" out to plug into the macs mic in jack. I listened to my play back on the headphone jack. Now, those two jacks are a single jack.

I'd like to continue using a mixer (because i use the multiple channels to record things like drums) but I can't find one that addresses the issue.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? What products should I be looking into?
Jeffaugust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:07 PM   #2
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Some Behringer mixers have USB built in. Does yours?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:44 PM   #3
derbothaus
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffaugust View Post

Can anyone point me in the right direction? What products should I be looking into?
A decent Audio Interface. One that has Mic Preamps and EQ and conversion. USB/FW/TB. Don't use the internal mic if you value your effort. Best thing a musician can buy is a great Audio interface. Don't need an outboard mixer if you can use interface with digital one. Cheap mixers usually add noise and color you probably don't want or need. Price runs the gamut roughly $50.00 - $5000.00. You can get pretty OK stuff at about 150.00 range. It aint pro quality but it is way better than direct in on a Macbook. Motu makes some good fairly priced stuff. Playing back music will be a revelation with higher quality sources.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro