Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the technologies that we've been looking forward to becoming more prevalent in iOS accessories is the incorporation of low-power Bluetooth 4.0, now known as Bluetooth Smart. The technology allows for low-power long term connectivity between your iOS devices and your accessories. Kickstarter-backed e-paper Pebble watch was one example that generated an enormous amount of interest with over $10 million in pre-sales.

ConnecteDevice today announced the worldwide launch of their COOKOO watch which also begin life as life as a KickStarter project.

cookoo.jpg
The company describes the watch as a designer watch that combines analog movement with a connected digital display. By using a freely available app, users can pick and choose which notifications that appear on their watch.

The watch can display notifications for:

- Incoming Calls
- Missed Calls
- Facebook Messages and Posts
- Calendar Reminders
- When a Smart Device (iPhone, iPad, etc..) is out of range
- When a Smart Device (iPhone, iPad, etc..) is low on Battery

It also has a customizable command button which can find your phone, snap a photo, check-in to Facebook or tag your location on a map.

The watch uses a standard button-cell battery that will last up to one year. It is scratch resistant and water resistant. COOKOO supports the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad mini, iPad (4th & 3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation). The watch is priced at $129 in 5 different colors.

ConnecteDevice says the watch is shipping now and they will be showing it at CES 2013. Based on comments by early Kickstarter backers, it seems there are some dropped-connectivity complaints with the first version of the software that the company says they are addressing in an upcoming update.

Article Link: CES 2013: COOKOO Watch Brings 'Bluetooth Smart' Connectivity to iOS Devices

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
Its a smart, cool, and new innovative idea to be more connected to our phones...to bad at $127 it prices itself out of many consumers wallets....

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
So you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket, I assume.

But if I'm getting a call or message, my phone is either ringing, or vibrating. If I receive a FaceBook message, my phone receives a push notification and dings. And all my devices are already synced to my calendars, so I get notifications through the computer, iPhone and iPad already.

I'm not opposed to it, I just don't understand why I'd want to buy one of these.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Love the functionality, but i do thin the face that it doesn't really have an LCD means all it can do is tell if something happens, like getting a message, but on a device like the pebble you can read the message and who its from. Plus this just looks huge and unwieldy.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
Seems like many of the functions involve the iPhone being away from you or not on your person.

I have the iPhone with me all waking hours.

Away from you, but not far enough that you're out of range. Not 100% sure of the range of Bluetooth 4.0, but I suspect you need to be essentially in the same room as your phone for this to work. At least for me, this handicap seems to defeat most of the purposes of this watch.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
These so-called smart watches have no appeal to me. They seem like a solution looking for a problem.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Good idea, but the watch is so chunky. Way too chunky.

The woman in the first segment of the video looks like she's wearing a lump of brick on her wrist.

I'd love to see a nice looking watch with this functionality.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
$127 is not a lot of money for a watch that connects to your smart phone via Bluetooth. Also, another cool feature not shown on the MacRumors article:

Can’t remember where you left your phone?
One simple press of a button on the COOKOO watch will sound an alert on your phone so you can find it quickly.

Personally I will pass this up. But it's definitely a cool product IMHO. Though the product's materials NEED to be changed.

• Watch Material : Plastic casing, mineral glass and a soft silicon band

Last edited:

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
horrible design, horrible video (also available in 3d...), weird decision to host this on the very front page instead of the iOS blog.

also, did anyone notice all the rings on the grandpa-gangsta's fingers? 01:17

Last edited:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I stopped wearing a watch not long after I got my first cellular phone. I agree the technology is cool, and there may be some great applications of it moving forward - but, like others have said, I don't see the point of this particular device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.