Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
I just got a Nexus 7 this christmas. Being an Apple-guy, I had wished for the iPad, and actually considered switching it for a Mini instead. However, about two weeks later, and I have gotten to the point where I am definitely keeping the Nexus, and most likely selling my iPhone for either a Nexus 4 or the upcoming Galaxy S4.

While the Nexus is not as nice looking as the iPad, Android Jelly Bean has really impressed me. It's the first time since the Nexus One that I'm giving Android a try. It's so smooth, polished and clean - while allowing just that much more functionality. The notification center is far more usable than the iOS equivalent. WiFi, Bluetooth, Brightness, Flightmode, Rotation, et.c., just a swipe away. No need to enter the settings app manually.

I've used it for browsing the web very much recently. The Nexus being Flash-compatible is really nice. Furthermore, everytime I'm about to tap a link located closely to another, the screen automatically zooms the nearby area, while tapping close to one of the links, making it far easier to hit the right one.

Widgets are cool as well, nothing that I will probably use that much, but just having them there is really nice.

Also, two days ago, I used it for navigating by car to a nearby ski resort. The built in Navigation offers everything from a stand alone top of the line Navigon unit, and then some more. Not even once did it get us lost. iOS Maps is such a joke in comparison.

As for today, I arrived at my moms place, and brought up Google Now, which told me the weather for today and the coming days, as well as the time-table for the bus right outside my door, and recommended spots nearby (restaurants et.c.). It can even suggest restaurants based on ratings, when searching for certain spots in Google Maps. I am amazed by the functionality of the location based services. These fancy applications are usually reserved for the U.S market on Apple's products. Apple Maps for example never works when using Local Transport as a means of traveling here in Sweden, however my Nexus knows it all.

Oh, and did I mention that uTorrent is available as a download from the Play Store, and works like a charm? Talk about PC-free.

Of course, it's not all gold that glitters. The touchscreen is not as responsive as iPhone/iPad-screens (although this is related to the hardware, and not Android), neither is the scrolling always as smooth as on iOS, and last but not least, Apple is right about Android Tablet Apps just being enlarged Mobile-apps, but so far, I'm amazed by this little device, and will most likely go Android on my mobile device as well, unless Apple has something amazing up their sleeve for this spring. :) I can't wait to see what this competition will bring.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I must say I have been getting bored of my third gen iPad. I never realized how boring and limited it was until I got my Nexus 4, which I love.

If Apple doesn't do something innovative quick, I will be leaving them completely very soon. I already took the first step to leaving them with my Nexus 4. The second step is replacing my Mac Pro with my own build, which I am doing now. And next up will most likely be replacing my iPad.

Overall, how would you describe the tablet app selection on Android?

Internaut

macrumors 65816
I must say I have been getting bored of my third gen iPad. I never realized how boring and limited it was until I got my Nexus 4, which I love.

If Apple doesn't do something innovative quick, I will be leaving them completely very soon. I already took the first step to leaving them with my Nexus 4. The second step is replacing my Mac Pro with my own build, which I am doing now. And next up will most likely be replacing my iPad.

I don't think Apple will do much in the near term as iOS clearly would clearly need re-engineering to try and accomodate two markets:

- The hackers
- The very sizeable portion of iOS users who really just want something that just works (which it does, and does extremely well).

Apple will do nothing that risks angering the latter user base.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
This is food for thought..

I gave my 3rd gen iPad to my girlfriend when her crappy netbook finally gave in. I've yet to replace it with another one.. I want the mini but the display is a little weak when I compare it to my other iDevices. Nexus is a better price point per GB but it's plastic.

I might just wait this year out and see what 'innovation' happens in the next 9 months or so. Everything seems to be shovel ware lately, not much better than the last.

americanclassic

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
I definitely think it's the best bang-for-your-buck tablet on the market. I have nothing against iOS as I've owned like 5 generations of ipods, and half my family uses iphones. But it's a phenomenal little device, and it grips nicely in your hands.

When I'm in school I use it for everything--note-taking, web browsing, writing documents, media consumption, GPS, etc. It can multitask like a champ, and everything is just a click away. I have the wifi-only model, but there's free wifi all over campus so I'm fine. I pair it with a mini folding bluetooth keyboard; battery lasts me pretty much all day.
61lOkSxPRhL._AA300_.jpg

Sure it's plastic-y, no doubt the iPad mini is sleeker. Most android devices have nothing on Apple when it comes to aesthetics. iOS is also a lot more intuitive and simple, but I like the freedom of Android. My homescreen has my Play widget, my Evernote widget, some app drawers, etc--very convenient.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I definitely think it's the best bang-for-your-buck tablet on the market. I have nothing against iOS as I've owned like 5 generations of ipods, and half my family uses iphones. But it's a phenomenal little device, and it grips nicely in your hands.

When I'm in school I use it for everything--note-taking, web browsing, writing documents, media consumption, GPS, etc. It can multitask like a champ, and everything is just a click away. I have the wifi-only model, but there's free wifi all over campus so I'm fine. I pair it with a mini folding bluetooth keyboard; battery lasts me pretty much all day.
Sure it's plastic-y, no doubt the iPad mini is sleeker. Most android devices have nothing on Apple when it comes to aesthetics. iOS is also a lot more intuitive and simple, but I like the freedom of Android. My homescreen has my Play widget, my Evernote widget, some app drawers, etc--very convenient.

I like the case you have. Can you please tell me the name of your case?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Out of all the gadgets I own, I easily spend the most time on my Nexus 7.

The size of the thing makes it far easier to take about with me when I'm out. I don't think our iPad has left the house more than 7 times but I'll often pick up the N7 when we head off out.

Ive recently been using it with my old Motorola Xoom Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse now I have a new case, similar to americanclassic above.

DSCF3783.jpg
DSCF3777.jpg

Such a versatile device IMO.

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
I'm planning to get a Nexus 7 next week. I've tested it a lot and can't wait to have my own. It'll fit perfectly in the eco-system I created with my iPhone, 11" MacAir, 15.6" Windows laptop and gaming consoles. I will have everything in all sizes.

My only problem with the device is that it doesn't have the aspect ratio that Apple products have. I'm used to the iPad and it will be difficult to adjust to a narrower screen. But I love almost everything else about the Nexus 7.

americanclassic

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
I like the case you have. Can you please tell me the name of your case?

It's actually pretty cheesy lol, I got it just because I wanted to try a swivel case. I bought mine here: http://www.amazon.com/Rotating-Leat...F8&qid=1357518297&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+7+map, but you can find it under various off-brand names for around $11-15. It's a little thick, but I like that the bezel is minimal (I think the typical leather bezel looks a little cheap). Not terribly stable in portrait mode, but it's fine in landscape mode.

The main downside--which I think comes in the territory of being a 360* case w/o much bezel--is that the front flap is wiggly and the auto sleep/wake isn't reliable. But I've used it for some months now and have gotten used to it.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
My Nexus 7 is great but im just not a tablet person (i much prefer using my MBA), that being said it convinced me to switch to an Android phone and i don't see myself returning to Apple when it comes to phones. They are way to locked down and don't give the customer a range to pick from when it comes to screen sizes.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I just picked up a Nexus 7 for my mom for Christmas. She asked for a Kindle Fire, which I got her first. It turned out that the Kindle had ads (bought from Best Buy) and the OS was too restrictive, it would not allow me to install an app she uses for work. I returned the Kindle for the Nexus and spent the weekend getting it all set up. The Nexus was my first experience with Android, I still prefer iOS on my iPad, but Android was surpisingly nice (to me at least).

The size and weight of the Nexus is amazing. I would really love to sell/trade my 3rd gen iPad for a Mini, but I want to wait for the retina model.

Overall I think the Nexus is a great device. I ended up finding the 16gb which seems to be rare in my area, at $199.99 I would easily recommend it to some one who doesn't want to spend $329 on an iPad Mini.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
I love mine, fantastic little gadget. Does everything I want it to easily and at a great price. Love the feel of it, love the screen, and the OS is great.

Looking forward to the new one this year (if there is one). I'll probably be upgrading.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Was the main reason I sold my N7 and went back to my iPad (got a mini for christmas).

If you don't use any but the real mainstream apps, you'd probably be fine. But I ran into the "upscaled phone app" experience on multiple occasions. Best example was my ESPN Fantasy Football app....the iPad app is amazing - the N7 app was what I had on my iPhone but blown up....could be different now.

Just feels like devs write the iPad app first, then move to Android tablets.

Was a nice little device though - despite my screen adhesive issues it was very comfortable to hold.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Was the main reason I sold my N7 and went back to my iPad (got a mini for christmas).

If you don't use any but the real mainstream apps, you'd probably be fine. But I ran into the "upscaled phone app" experience on multiple occasions. Best example was my ESPN Fantasy Football app....the iPad app is amazing - the N7 app was what I had on my iPhone but blown up....could be different now.

Just feels like devs write the iPad app first, then move to Android tablets.

Was a nice little device though - despite my screen adhesive issues it was very comfortable to hold.

The tablet app part is a tough one. I got my daughter a Mini for Christmas and seeing the difference between some of the apps is dissapointing. For example, the DirecTV app for iOS is amazing. It pretty much does everything the phone app does - but it lets you watch content/use it as a remote...very slick. The N7 app is just a blown up version fo the phone app.

I bought the N7 due to my dissapointment in the price/specs of the Mini. It's a good device...but a compromise in some ways. For $130 less, it was a good alternative. (yeah, I could've bought the Mini and sold it when the next generation came out. But I'd basically be giving Apple two full retail sales. My purchase decision means zilch in the big picture, but unless people start voting with their wallet...Apple will continue to parse out the lowest specs they can at the highest possible price.)

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
Doesn't anyone get it? They don't care about specs. They care about performance. I have never heard of anyone using an iPad and called it slow. And when you use much more powerful tablets which are slower you start wondering how Apple does it. Don't think about specs when buying a tablet, think of the performance. That's what you need. I couldn't care less about the processors in any tablet, I just care which one is the fastest.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Doesn't anyone get it? They don't care about specs. They care about performance. I have never heard of anyone using an iPad and called it slow. And when you use much more powerful tablets which are slower you start wondering how Apple does it. Don't think about specs when buying a tablet, think of the performance. That's what you need. I couldn't care less about the processors in any tablet, I just care which one is the fastest.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1520821/

bearboy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Chi-town
With the N7 you get a Tegra 3 processor, 32gb of memory, 1 gig of RAM. Plus a great screen. Plus since it's a Nexus you'll get timely updates.

All for 250.00? I mean what's not to like here? The Mini pretty much has the same specs as my Ipad 2 and costs more than the N7.

As for cases I really like the Poetic slimline case for the N7. It's a bit more expensive than the usual N7 cases at $20.00, but I really like the design.

http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Slimli...sr=1-1&keywords=poetic+slimline+nexus+7+black

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

The funny thing about this - the iPad 3 has the same geekbench scores as the 2....CPU-wise, there is no difference. The A5X simply added GPU power to run the retina display.

I haven't noticed any lag issues on my mini - though my iPad 4 runs circles around the mini and everything else. It's just not as nice to hold as my mini is....ah well. When the retina mini comes, I'll get that.

But the whole specs argument will be around forever. You'll have those screaming about the 72 cores in the Tegra 4 devices and you'll have the iPad owners who's quad core GPU still outperforms. You'll have the dual core A6X run the iPad as smoothly as the quad core Tegra 3 in the N7....

In the end, specs aren't the end all be all - and neither is something somewhat subjective like "smoothness". I think the best way to look at Android and iOS (or in this case, the N7 and the mini) is Potential power vs. steady efficiency - at times the N7 could be noticably faster and smoother than the mini, and at others it could be slower. The mini (iOS products) are steady.

This isn't a knock on either (looking at you onthecouchagain) - simply my way of looking at each. I'm sure my N7 could do things I had no clue it could...but in the end, the potential power of the device was outweighed by my experience with the apps I use daily - and their lack of optimization.

Really though - OP - seeing as it was a gift, I think the N7 is fine for you unless you find it doesn't suit YOUR personal uses. But you're the only one who can decide that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.