Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
all you WAS fans, RGIII will be JUST like Cam Newton. Every rookie is gonna come off hot and be a superstar, next season one of two things are going to happen, he is gonna end up like Newton and be nobody, OR gonna pull a Mike Vick and get concussions all season long.. QUOTE ME ON THIS.

As for me I am a Dallas fan myself. With Bryant out and Miles out, even if we beat the redskins we wouldn't go anywhere without our key WR. Not to mention everyone forgets about the offensive line being all messed up with rookies and change of positions. Romo can't do EVERYTHING on his own. Not to mention Murray was out as well and Jones is not what he use to be.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
all you WAS fans, RGIII will be JUST like Cam Newton. Every rookie is gonna come off hot and be a superstar, next season one of two things are going to happen, he is gonna end up like Newton and be nobody, OR gonna pull a Mike Vick and get concussions all season long.. QUOTE ME ON THIS.

As for me I am a Dallas fan myself. With Bryant out and Miles out, even if we beat the redskins we wouldn't go anywhere without our key WR. Not to mention everyone forgets about the offensive line being all messed up with rookies and change of positions. Romo can't do EVERYTHING on his own. Not to mention Murray was out as well and Jones is not what he use to be.

bitter much? Washington was the better team. Get over it. No need to try to tear down the other teams players when it was YOUR team (specifically quarterback) who laid an egg. And you can't blame injuries either, every team has them, and there are plenty of teams who have won in the past with similar or more injuries.

You should be worrying about Dallas's sorry quarterback situation heading in to next year instead of trying to bash Washington and RGIII.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
bitter much? Washington was the better team. Get over it. No need to try to tear down the other teams players when it was YOUR team (specifically quarterback) who laid an egg. And you can't blame injuries either, every team has them, and there are plenty of teams who have won in the past with similar or more injuries.

You should be worrying about Dallas's sorry quarterback situation heading in to next year instead of trying to bash Washington and RGIII.

nobody is trying to bash anybody. I am stating what I personally think is going to happen to RGIII. wanna talk about bashing read all the Tony romo comments.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal

While I agree with very much I don't agree on the injuries comment. Yes, all teams have them but certain ones can doom a team for the playoffs and sometimes if early, the entire season.

Let's look at the Colts back when Peyton Manning was out. It made a huge difference. And entering the playoffs, but thankfully in two weeks, the Niners have some injuries I think that are worse than others. It could cripple us and be just what the opponent was looking for. We still have two healthy quarterbacks but we have lost key people at the worst possible time. The sports writers here are pretty grim if we don't get these certain guys healthy two weeks from now. Last year we were more well rounded and could have taken those lumps somewhat better but being so thinned out with the talent being mostly put into a few key players and with some of them hurt, then you know what may happen. If we don't have a lot of top, healthy receivers, we better really ramp up our running game unlike anything we have done this season. Our linebackers are banged up and this could be a big issue. And Vernon Davis, that's going to be hard on us. RB Frank Gore has seemed at times a lot less than his typical HoF self.

I don't know about all sports, but injuries can be the single most important factor in professional football as to that team's effectiveness and while it can slow down young players like an RGIII even though he's the toughest QB I have ever seen, a similar injury can end the career of an older player like Manning or Brady not to mention what it can do in the playoffs. We seem to be shielded from how violent this sport really is.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/injuries/SF/san-francisco-49ers

Last edited:

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012

Doubt it. Cam is still a beast he just doesn't have any weapons to help him. The RB Williams isn't enough.

The rookie QBs this year have weapons surrounding them.

Don't feel bad for Romo. Minus all the elite and great QBs in the league, Romo is the best there is.

Any ways. Black Monday was crazy this year and word is all the firing isn't over with.

We should have plenty to talk about next week.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
So 7 head coaches and 5 GM's were fired on black Monday. I've never seen anything like it

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Doubt it. Cam is still a beast he just doesn't have any weapons to help him. The RB Williams isn't enough.

The rookie QBs this year have weapons surrounding them.

Don't feel bad for Romo. Minus all the elite and great QBs in the league, Romo is the best there is.

Any ways. Black Monday was crazy this year and word is all the firing isn't over with.

We should have plenty to talk about next week.

agree on Cam. he needs one or more key players to play alongside him and the panthers could be trouble.

i still think romo is a poor qb.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
How about that Ray Lewis.
On the day Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis announced he would be retiring after this season, my thoughts drifted back to a bitterly cold winter day in a cemetery in Akron, Ohio.

That's where Richard Lollar was buried and where his bespectacled grandmother, Joyce Lollar, showed me his grave more than a decade ago.

As I wrote then, she crunched through the snow with leafless trees etched against a gray Midwestern skyline. A frozen drizzle fell from above. With her shoe, she scraped the snow and the ice and the dirt from her grandson's grave site and said a short prayer that ended with: "We miss you, Richard. We love you."

"They stabbed my Richard five times in vital places — the heart, the liver," she said angrily. "They don't even kill animals like that. This was no bar fight; this was a slaughter. This was a thrill-killing."

Amid this week-long celebration and commemoration of Ray Lewis' brilliant, Hall of Fame career, let us not forget that he was once charged with killing Richard Lollar and Jacinth Baker — two men whose murders were never solved. Two men whose families are, no doubt, still haunted by the fact that brutal, bloody killers are still out there somewhere running free.

Ray Lewis may or may not be the greatest linebacker of all-time, but he has certainly pulled off the greatest comeback story in the history of sports. He is considered a role model, a team leader, a man known for his hard work on the field and his charitable work off of it.

To fathom the scope of his redemptive powers, all you have to do is click on the two separate Wikipedia pages of Lewis and Michael Vick. In the opening paragraph of Vick's, it mentions his notorious episode of dog-killing. In Lewis' opening paragraph, it chronicles his Pro Bowls, his Super Bowl MVP, even the torn triceps that kept him sidelined for much of this season. But there is not a single mention of the fact that he once was charged with murdering two men.

"Everybody's gone on with their lives; everybody but us," Joyce Lollar told me in 2001, a year after her grandson was murdered and a few days before Lewis was named the MVP of Super Bowl XXXV. "Ray Lewis is living his dream, but what about my grandson's dreams? Our family's been destroyed, and now we have to watch Ray Lewis prancing around in the Super Bowl. It makes me sick to my stomach."

Joyce raised Richard Lollar, who was left dead in the street in the early morning hours on Jan. 31, 2000, — a few hours after the Rams defeated the Titans in one of the most thrilling Super Bowls in history. And then came one of the most chilling post-Super Bowl scenes in history. A brawl outside the Cobalt Lounge, an upscale Atlanta nightclub, turned into gory spectacle of steely knives, mangled flesh and a river of blood. The 24-year-old Lollar and his 21-year-old boyhood buddy from Akron, Jacinth Baker, were both stabbed multiple times in the heart, the knives savagely twisted into their vital organs. The killers knew exactly what they were doing.

Lewis, his two good friends — Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting — and nine others sped away from the crime scene in a 40-foot Lincoln limousine. Lewis, Oakley and Sweeting were charged with the killings and cleared in a controversial court decision that still leaves many questions unanswered.

Why, when Lewis made an appearance at a sporting goods store the day before the Super Bowl, did his friends buy knives at the store?

Why did witnesses say the limo pulled over and someone dumped bloody clothes into a trash bin?

Why was the white suit Ray Lewis wore that night never found?

Why did the limo driver change his story mid-trial after originally testifying that Lewis told everyone to "just keep your mouth shut and don't say nothing"? Originally, the driver told police he saw Lewis actively taking part in the bloody brawl and heard Oakley and Sweeting admit to stabbing someone. But he backed off those statements when he got on the witness stand.

Why did prosecutors reduce the murder charge against Lewis to misdemeanor obstruction of justice? It was a plea deal in which Lewis agreed to testify against his two friends, Oakley and Sweeting, who were later acquitted after Lewis' testimony failed to implicate them in the murders.

"Why were people changing their stories?" Joyce Lollar asked on the way to the cemetery that day. "… The jury didn't know who or what to believe. By lying and deceiving from the beginning, Ray Lewis helped set everybody free."

On the day Ray Lewis announced he would be retiring after this season, my thoughts drifted back to a little house in Atlanta a decade ago where Richard Lollar's fiancée, Kellye Smith, lived. She was seven months pregnant at the time of the murders and gave birth two months later to a daughter named India.

On the day I visited, India was 10-months-old and playing with a new doll she got for Christmas. It was one of those talking dolls that recited a prayer every time you clasp its hands together.

"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. Protect me through the dark of night and wake my soul with dawn's first light. God bless Mommy and God bless Daddy."

Amid the hype and hoopla today when the Baltimore Ravens play the Indianapolis Colts in what may be Ray Lewis' final NFL game, let us not forget Richard Lollar and Jacinth Baker.

Two men dead and nobody in jail

A trail of blood that led nowhere.

And a little girl who never knew her daddy.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-mike-bianchi-ray-lewis-0106-20130105,0,1707256.column

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
You already know by stance on this -- the guy did it. He's a monster. He's not half the man Mike Vick or Donte Stallworth is. At least they eventually atoned for their sins. Lewis should be locked up for life.
I guess if it happened in the age of twitter people would be more outraged.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Ok fellas according to the Law Lewis only obstructed justice. Which he pleaded to. Move on.

The Game I've been waiting on is happening right now.

Let's go Rooks

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Ok fellas according to the Law Lewis only obstructed justice. Which he pleaded to. Move on.

Just because they couldn't prove it doesn't mean he didn't do it. He just might be better at hiding white suits than the rest of us.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and he's innocent but all the evidence just doesn't add up. He was involved with something. Maybe he did it. Maybe his buddy did it. Maybe he hired someone to do it. I don't know, but I truly believe he knows what went on that night.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Just because they couldn't prove it doesn't mean he didn't do it. He just might be better at hiding white suits than the rest of us.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and he's innocent but all the evidence just doesn't add up. He was involved with something. Maybe he did it. Maybe his buddy did it. Maybe he hired someone to do it. I don't know, but I truly believe he knows what went on that night.

.... Just because you're saying that doesn't mean he did it.

Also don't you know he testified for the state? That was part of his plea deal for not cooperating at first.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
.... Just because you're saying that doesn't mean he did it.
I said I could be wrong.

Also don't you know he testified for the state? That was part of his plea deal for not cooperating at first.
The state didn't have enough evidence to lock him away so they offered him a plea deal. That's not that uncommon. Didn't he also reach settlements with the victim's family?

Frankly, if he is just produced his suit from that night, I think most questions about him would have been answered a long time ago.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
No dude , I suggest you actually go over the actual proceedings. You are way off base.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
They didnt have enough evidence because he didn't do it. The plea deal was for the obstruction of justice. To get the plea deal he had to testify for the state and fully cooperate, which he did.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
They didnt have enough evidence because he didn't do it. The plea deal was for the obstruction of justice. To get the plea deal he had to testify for the state and fully cooperate, which he did.

No one but Lewis and possibly his buddies actually know that. Unless you have real proof he didn't do it, and I don't believe anyone does, there is no way to say if that is true or not.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
No one but Lewis and possibly his buddies actually know that. Unless you have real proof he didn't do it, and I don't believe anyone does, there is no way to say if that is true or not.

..... Now repeat that exact same statement to yourself.

All I know is what the court of law stated.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
You right you're entitled to your opinion. Regardless of facts provided in a court of law.

Anyway. RG3 is doing some great work right now.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
You right you're entitled to your opinion. Regardless of facts provided in a court of law.
Since he reached a plea deal I don't think there was ever evidence presented against him in a court of law. It would have been presented in a civil case but he settled so the facts would not be presented there either. Guilty or not, both were good moves on his part.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
RG3 was looking great. Until that hit that knocked him on his knee...

I'd say he should sit out and let Cousins play for a little. We're up 14-3, and our defense is doing pretty well.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
RG3 was looking great. Until that hit that knocked him on his knee...

I'd say he should sit out and let Cousins play for a little. We're up 14-3, and our defense is doing pretty well.

I like Cousins but this is the playoffs and Seattle just scored. RG3 needs to play or he isn't the player we all think he is.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
RG3 needs to play or he isn't the player we all think he is.

Injuries don't mean a player isn't as good as previously thought, when he's 100% he's phenomenal. He's clearly not 100% right now.

On the other hand, I think the chatter about RGIII not being able to play his style of football for a lengthy career are accurate. The guy takes punishing hits way too often. He's in his first year and has already been banged up and knocked around. Same reason I wouldn't want Vick as my QB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.