Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Was going to get the Mac mini, but for a couple hundred more I can get an all-in-one setup.

So my question is:
what are some things I should look out for?

So far I thought of booting up, checking "About this Mac" and making sure its the 2012 model as described, and that everything checks out, also making sure the webcam works by FaceTiming with myself....

What are other things I should do to make sure it's a good deal?

Nov 28, 2010
located
The 2012 iMac can be easily distinguished by its form:
The left one, with the thicker edge, is the 2011 model, the right one, with the 5 mm edge is the 2012 model
imac-2012-vs-imac-2011.jpeg

As for what to check, make sure you get or at least see the receipt, hopefully get the box it came with, that there are no dead pixels or that the fan does not spin abhorrently loud.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
The 2012 iMac can be easily distinguished by its form:
The left one, with the thicker edge, is the 2011 model, the right one, with the 5 mm edge is the 2012 model

As for what to check, make sure you get or at least see the receipt, hopefully get the box it came with, that there are no dead pixels or that the fan does not spin abhorrently loud.

You really frequent Buying Tips and Advice, don't you? (As do I)

Thanks!

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Not really, I just frequent Forum Spy on the lookout for threads, that can help me up my post count, so that I can be on this list in the Top 1, where I can contribute and help people, and sometimes be an arse (probably censored, another word for buttocks).

Aw, what a waste of time. I got him to show me a picture of the side. It was a 2011 or older.

Scammers should learn about their products before trying to sell them. :rolleyes:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Was going to get the Mac mini, but for a couple hundred more I can get an all-in-one setup.

So my question is:
what are some things I should look out for?

So far I thought of booting up, checking "About this Mac" and making sure its the 2012 model as described, and that everything checks out, also making sure the webcam works by FaceTiming with myself....

What are other things I should do to make sure it's a good deal?

Whatever you buy, have a look at the Apple Store in the "refurbished" section first and compare prices.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I think you'll be lucky to get a used 2012 one at a decent price, considering there is still ~ a month waiting time on them at the moment.

If you don't mind it being thicker, the 2011 ones are still good machines, and you'll get more bang for your buck than with a 2012.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What I was considering buying was a 2011 iMac. Which is much cheaper than anything in the crapp refurb store.

Seems you have a serious attitude problem.

For other readers (you are specifically excluded), I'd advise comparing any prices that you find for used Macs with the prices of refurbished Macs in the Apple Store; many posters here buy only from the refurbished store, the Macs are like new and come with full warranty, and at the very least they give you a realistic price check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.