Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbanda

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
I just bought a new MacBook pro with Mountain Lion, I have an iMac I'd like to upgrade to Mountain Lion, do I have to purchase a separate license if I want to install?

Thank you.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
As I understand it, the preinstalled license does not actually count as a purchased copy the OP can reinstall on another computer. The preinstalled copy does not require an AppleID to reinstall, and will not cause Mountain Lion to be listed in the Purchases tab of the App Store. If the OP wants to upgrade another computer that did not come with Mountain Lion, he/she must purchase Mountain Lion for the $19.99 from the Mac App Store.

macbanda

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
As I understand it, the preinstalled license does not actually count as a purchased copy the OP can reinstall on another computer. The preinstalled copy does not require an AppleID to reinstall, and will not cause Mountain Lion to be listed in the Purchases tab of the App Store. If the OP wants to upgrade another computer that did not come with Mountain Lion, he/she must purchase Mountain Lion for the $19.99 from the Mac App Store.

Thanks to all that responded - I decided to buy it since it's only $20. I have yet to install it. I know backing up my information is the wise thing to do but I'm curious if anyone has had problems losing information when upgrading.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks to all that responded - I decided to buy it since it's only $20. I have yet to install it. I know backing up my information is the wise thing to do but I'm curious if anyone has had problems losing information when upgrading.

I have not seen anybody losing data during a normal Mountain Lion upgrade, but here is what I have seen a few times. Installing a new OS gives the hard drive a pretty good workout and I have seen drives just up and die during the OS install due to the stress of the OS install itself.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The OS upgrade is designed to replace the system files and leave your user data, settings and apps intact.

But, you should have a backup, regardless of installing a new OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.