Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Randomizer
macrumors member

New Mac convert. Printer setup question.

Hi all. I am in the process of converting my house / family etc to a Mac household. Always been PC in the past. Two new iMacs running Mountain Lion in the house and replaced my old D-Link router with an Airport Extreme. I have a Canon MP970 connected to the network via LAN to a D-Link switch which is connected to the Airport Extreme. I did not install any drivers because I thought OSX would do that but I am not 'seeing' the printer. I would like to be able to print from both iMacs and also from the iPads and iPhones in the house. I may have been wrong but I thought the conversion to the Airport Extreme might make this easier. Am I better off looking for a new printer - Airprint capable? The Canon is several years old now but has done a nice job.
Randomizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2
hallux
macrumors 65816

What happens if you go into System Preferences then the Print and Scan panel and click the + under the box on the left? It SHOULD scan your network and find the printer on the network and ask if you want to install it.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Randomizer
macrumors member

It did not find it earlier but it is finding it now. Guess this solves the the iMac printing. But will it allow printing from the iPads?

----------

Also - will I be able to scan to the iMacs (or even to a NAS attached to the network) across the network?
Randomizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:09 AM   #4
hallux
macrumors 65816

That won't solve the iPad printing issue.

You should be able to scan over the network, if the device supports it. I do it all the time with my HP printer.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:57 AM   #5
desertman
macrumors 6502

If you want to use your printer from your iPad you need either an "Airprint capable" printer or a little tool that lets you use any printer from any iOS device. There are two such tools available:

handyPrint (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35969/handyprint)
Printopia (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35936/printopia)

HandyPrint is almost free and works good for basic printing. Printopia costs $20 but offers additional possibilities like Send to Mac and Send to Dropbox on Mac.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion