Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:21 PM   #1
bonskovsky
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Jailbreaking fading away

Is there really any incentive to Jailbreak anymore, I mean now that Installous is gone. The heart of Jailbreaking is pretty much dead. I also don't expect there to ever be a jailbreak for the iPhone 5.

Apple just moves too quick.
bonskovsky is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Dr Sam Beckett
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
a lot of people (mainly younger kids) use installous.... but just as many if not more.. dont use installous. There is lots of reasons to jailbreak.

Heres a 100.. and not one is installous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZoqW-GEdQM
Dr Sam Beckett is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:49 PM   #3
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Yes, but there's still no jailbreak for iOS 6.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Dr Sam Beckett
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Yes, but there's still no jailbreak for iOS 6.
your point?
its on its way...its being worked on. this happens all the time. Some take 2 months. some take 4 or 5.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking
Dr Sam Beckett is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:09 PM   #5
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Why another thread on this just so people can argue about pirating of apps.

@Threadstarter - if you really needed to talk about this, why not add a comment to the active existing threads

Just because you steal developer's work product doesn't mean everyone does.
__________________
iPhone 6+ iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here
dhlizard is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:29 PM   #6
labman
macrumors 604
 
labman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mich near Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard View Post
Why another thread on this just so people can argue about pirating of apps.

@Threadstarter - if you really needed to talk about this, why not add a comment to the active existing threads

Just because you steal developer's work product doesn't mean everyone does.
I've reported all these pirating/cydia threads the mods aren't doing anything so obviously they no longer care. At least about this section.
__________________
IP4+Hackintosh Pro Joining AT&T PM me get $25 Dev-Teams Blog My TwitterCan I JB/UL my device Click here
labman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:09 PM   #7
srf4real
macrumors 68030
 
srf4real's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: paradise beach FL
I know it's turning into a troll-fest.
__________________
iSurf. For real.
srf4real is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:18 PM   #8
r0k
macrumors 68040
 
r0k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit
I can think of one reason to J/B: Wifi Analyzer. I run it on my Android devices but because I haven't taken the time to J/B any of my iOS devices I cannot run this essential tool. How essential? Well I was setting up wifi in my house and wanted to measure for dead spots. Could I use an iOS device for that? No. I had to resort to walking around with an Android device. And the irony is that Apple includes a wifi scanner in Mountain Lion which is their most iOS-like desktop OS yet they are clueless as to why a road warrior might want something like wifi analyzer to find a WORKING wifi signal so they can get stuff done. For instance, I wasn't about to fork over twenty dollars a megabyte when I was travelling in Asia so I fired up wifi analyzer again and again to find wifi that had a stable signal level so I could get stuff done.


When the hotel free wifi never goes above -90db, I know it's not worth bothering with trying to sign in. I'd rather walk down the street to Panera or whatever. There would be no way to determine this on a non J/B iOS device.
__________________
-r0k
Macbook Pro (late 2011) + iPad mini + iPhone5 + (GS4 for work)
Got a scan to ftp scanner? Enable ftpd in Mavericks!
r0k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:03 PM   #9
1984world
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I'm staying on 5.1.1 with my 4s because of the jailbreak. It's kept me from getting the iphone 5. I love bitesms, zephyr, so many more, I probably have about 3-4 dozen tweaks/apps from cydia on my phone.

Oh, and I don't pirate apps. I've probably spent between 1-2 hundred on the cydia store (I've bought most, if not all the main apps and tons of others) and easily spent a grand on the app store (apps only).

If I could do on a stock iphone what I can do on a jailbroken one, I would upgrade every single year to the new phone rather than every 2.
1984world is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Speedy Gonzalez
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alligator Bayou
Jailbreak is about pirating apps it's been proven before there is a lot more reasons to jailbreak but if you ask a kid he would say free apps

I just to install pirated apps before but never use them why ? because 98% of the apps on the app store are pure garbage

I buy my apps not at full price but when they go on sale why ? because 99% not worth the asking price

to me jailbreak is more about opening the OS to functionality customization something is limited in IOS

if they put a demo for every single app on the app store people wont be looking to pirate apps at least not at this level

sorry my English sucks I know is because I learned reading forums
Speedy Gonzalez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Brian Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I've jailbroken my iPhone over the years. Never to install apps, but to add features.

Like multitasking, easier to access music controls, pull to refresh, unified mailbox, tidier notifications, do not disturb.

Notice a trend there - the vast majority of things I jailbroke for are now a part of iOS. Yes, there were other things, like being able to ssh into my phone, and install things such as LaTeX and python, but in reality, those aren't worth the loss of battery life and stability.
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:47 PM   #12
DP812
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Japan
Who said anything about stealing? I've never downloaded a pirated app. I jailbroke my phone for two reasons: 1) to stop dealing with the home button, which is probably the most frustrating thing about the iPhone (several models made and yet they can't come up with something better?) and 2) to enable tethering, something my service does not offer. The apps I downloaded to enable both these features? I paid for both.

There are reasons to jailbreak other than piracy.
DP812 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:54 PM   #13
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
There's so much more into JB than just stealing apps.
If that's what you're in it for then you're better off stock since hackulo is gone.
Some of us really miss the cool hacks, tweaks and enhacements given to a JB idevice.
Hoping to do Facetime over 3G/4G/LTE now that AT&T gave it to all customer but those on unlimited data plans.
But anyway, besides that there's another 10-12 hacks Im really missing and hope to get updated to work on ios 6.0 and higher and on my i5.
Would be great, I would never ever update it once its JB unless there's another JB
Applejuiced is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:03 AM   #14
cclloyd
macrumors 68000
 
cclloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alpha Centauri A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzalez View Post
Jailbreak is about pirating apps it's been proven before there is a lot more reasons to jailbreak but if you ask a kid he would say free apps

I just to install pirated apps before but never use them why ? because 98% of the apps on the app store are pure garbage

I buy my apps not at full price but when they go on sale why ? because 99% not worth the asking price

to me jailbreak is more about opening the OS to functionality customization something is limited in IOS

if they put a demo for every single app on the app store people wont be looking to pirate apps at least not at this level

sorry my English sucks I know is because I learned reading forums
Where to even start with this post I don't even know...

1. The majority of users do NOT pirate apps and instead use it for enhancing their device. On these forums and beyond. People like you make up generalities saying "most users pirate" to make themselves seem less guilty of pirating.

2. The app store has better quality apps than any other digital distribution platform out there (Maybe excluding Steam, since those are PC games). The best thing about the app store is that there are very few garbage apps.

3. I am fine with you buying apps when they go on sale. That's fine because its legitimate.

4. How is 99 cents not worth the price? That's rather cheap and affordable, especially if you can afford the phone in the first place.

5. I agree that they do need demos, but in their defense, they do have a lite version for a lot of apps, just not the hardcore games/apps that cost $5+.

6. http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-english
__________________
iPhone 5 Sprint w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
MacBook Pro Retina Early 2013
cclloyd is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:17 AM   #15
taedouni
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Maybe pirating is what jailbreaking means to you. As for me, I use the jailbreak to gain root access of my device. I install tweaks and apps that I NEED.

iFile
Change default navigation to Google Maps
Unlocking Siri to her full potential
Applocker
Color profile
Private Albums
A third party tethering App (I don't mind paying a developer a one time to fee to tether my iPhone when I need to use it. But I do mind paying an extra $30 a month for a feature that I may not use every week)
Folder enhancer
Ringtone creator that doesn't require iTunes
Emulators
Cylay (real phone security)

And those are just the tweaks/apps that I named from the top of my head within seconds.


P.S. kids who pirate stuff don't donate money to the hackers that jailbreak the iPhone. Nor do they even show any thanks. Trust me, the demise of installous will not affect the JB community in any negative way. As a matter of fact, it will help the community because a lot of devs disliked jailbreaking because a lot of people abused their work to just pirate Apps.
taedouni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:02 PM   #16
Speedy Gonzalez
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alligator Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
Where to even start with this post I don't even know...

1. The majority of users do NOT pirate apps and instead use it for enhancing their device. On these forums and beyond. People like you make up generalities saying "most users pirate" to make themselves seem less guilty of pirating.

2. The app store has better quality apps than any other digital distribution platform out there (Maybe excluding Steam, since those are PC games). The best thing about the app store is that there are very few garbage apps.

3. I am fine with you buying apps when they go on sale. That's fine because its legitimate.

4. How is 99 cents not worth the price? That's rather cheap and affordable, especially if you can afford the phone in the first place.

5. I agree that they do need demos, but in their defense, they do have a lite version for a lot of apps, just not the hardcore games/apps that cost $5+.

6. http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-english
Lol..

1. not true many people do not confess that they pirated applications and of course the majority use jailbreak to enhance their device + get free apps

2. wrong Android store have the same crap and only a few good apps

3. no comment

4. if the price is 99C I agree with you but there is apps way more expensive and still there is more crap than good apps

5. they need demos for every single app for example I purchased Bastion full price because I knew the game before and that game is worth $15 not $5

6. thanks
Speedy Gonzalez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:27 PM   #17
cclloyd
macrumors 68000
 
cclloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alpha Centauri A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzalez View Post
Lol..

1. not true many people do not confess that they pirated applications and of course the majority use jailbreak to enhance their device + get free apps

2. wrong Android store have the same crap and only a few good apps

5. they need demos for every single app for example I purchased Bastion full price because I knew the game before and that game is worth $15 not $5
1. I used their jailbroken devices and none of them had anything installed to pirate, not even AppSync. I only knew one other person who pirated apps

2. Android store has a lot more crap, but I believe the iOS store has more good quality apps than bad quality. You can usually tell by the icon :P

5. You could always look up a "Let's play" video of the app on youtube (for games at leasT) and review videos for other apps to see what the app is like before buying it if there is no lite version.
__________________
iPhone 5 Sprint w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
MacBook Pro Retina Early 2013
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:33 PM   #18
bmt134
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
1. The majority of users do NOT pirate apps and instead use it for enhancing their device. On these forums and beyond. People like you make up generalities
[/url]
You seem fine making your own "generalites"
bmt134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:43 PM   #19
Brian Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I don't know about the general population, but of all the people who jailbreak I know, not one of them pirates apps.

I think there is a notion out there that the vast majority of people who can afford a 600 phone, don't need to pirate a 0.99 app.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:07 PM   #20
cclloyd
macrumors 68000
 
cclloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alpha Centauri A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmt134 View Post
You seem fine making your own "generalites"
More, extrapolation based on FACTS that I have gathered. What pirates do is just say "all people pirate" without even bothering to find out if anyone else does.
__________________
iPhone 5 Sprint w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
MacBook Pro Retina Early 2013
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:32 PM   #21
bmt134
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
More, extrapolation based on FACTS that I have gathered. What pirates do is just say "all people pirate" without even bothering to find out if anyone else does.
So when someone else states something it's based on generalities and when you say something it's based on "FACTS"
bmt134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:34 PM   #22
cclloyd
macrumors 68000
 
cclloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alpha Centauri A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmt134 View Post
So when someone else states something it's based on generalities and when you say something it's based on "FACTS"
I actually asked people if they pirate. That's a yes or no answer. Pirates without thinking say "everyone pirates"
__________________
iPhone 5 Sprint w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
MacBook Pro Retina Early 2013
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:43 PM   #23
hackthatphone
macrumors 68000
 
hackthatphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Is there really any incentive to Jailbreak anymore, I mean now that Installous is gone. The heart of Jailbreaking is pretty much dead. I also don't expect there to ever be a jailbreak for the iPhone 5.

Apple just moves too quick.
That I*** crap was never the heart of jailbreaking. Move along.
__________________
Writing Mac tutorials for the iPhone since June '07. http://modmyphone.us
hackthatphone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:44 PM   #24
bmt134
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
I actually asked people if they pirate. That's a yes or no answer. Pirates without thinking say "everyone pirates"
You ask one or two random people if they are pirates and suddenly that becomes statistically significant "FACS"? LOL You need to re-evaluate your definition of "FACTS" LOL
bmt134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:48 PM   #25
cclloyd
macrumors 68000
 
cclloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alpha Centauri A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmt134 View Post
You ask one or two random people if they are pirates and suddenly that becomes statistically significant "FACS"? LOL You need to re-evaluate your definition of "FACTS" LOL
Actually about 30 or so kids who jailbreak at my school. Plus 3 people at work. And 2 apple store employees.
__________________
iPhone 5 Sprint w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
MacBook Pro Retina Early 2013
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help!Quick!Fast! Screen is fading away SolveMyProblems iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Nov 6, 2013 02:57 AM
volume fading in and out. tylerwatt12 MacBook Air 4 Jul 17, 2013 01:05 AM
Omg the edges of my IP5 are fading!? Mitheone Wasteland 11 Sep 27, 2012 11:44 AM
New 3M Fingerprint Fading Screen Protectors Breezer23 iPad Accessories 6 Jul 24, 2012 12:55 AM
iPhone 4s white fading? iSabifi iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 7 Jun 16, 2012 12:43 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC