Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
So this morning I went to wake my 09 iMac from sleep so that I could figure out why, once again my ATV wasn't seeing the library. Well, I put in my password and got the good old beach ball... After waiting about 5 min I decided I'd reboot it. Now I get to the white screen, Apple Logo and the spinning gears. 15 min later its still there. I tried unplugging it it, same thing. BUGGER... I did a search and my seriel number does say that I'm part of the Seagate HDD problem. Do you think this is the issue? Honestly I've had 0 problems with this iMac until about 3 weeks ago the superdrive died on me so I just purchased an external Blu Ray drive instead. Other than that its been a champ!

TIA for any help.

Heath

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
So this morning I went to wake my 09 iMac from sleep so that I could figure out why, once again my ATV wasn't seeing the library. Well, I put in my password and got the good old beach ball... After waiting about 5 min I decided I'd reboot it. Now I get to the white screen, Apple Logo and the spinning gears. 15 min later its still there. I tried unplugging it it, same thing. BUGGER... I did a search and my seriel number does say that I'm part of the Seagate HDD problem. Do you think this is the issue? Honestly I've had 0 problems with this iMac until about 3 weeks ago the superdrive died on me so I just purchased an external Blu Ray drive instead. Other than that its been a champ!

TIA for any help.

Heath

Sounds like a bad hard drive, try booting from your recovery cd. If that works id take it back to Apple and get them to take a look. If its a Seagate or if you have Applecare on it they should fix it for free

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
Okay, I'll dig out my boot CD and see what happens. Sadly my applecare expired back in October. :(

Thanks guys.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
Dropped it off at a local Apple authorized service center tonight. (I'm 3.5 hours from the closest apple store). He should be calling me tomorrow to verify if its one of the seagate drives. Sounds like I might be paying an additional amount to have him replace my superdrive while he's got it open too. And possibly upgrade my HDD to a 3TB while its open... :D

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Okay, I'll dig out my boot CD and see what happens. Sadly my applecare expired back in October. :(

Thanks guys.

That doesn't matter. Mine was expired, I received an email from Apple stating that my Seagate HD qualified even though I had no problems with it. They are replacing them up to March 2013.

I booked my appointment, wiped my HD and brought it in. Replaced no problem, no charge.

*edit sorry I should have read the post to the end.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
Got the call from the service center yesterday, it was a seagate HDD, so he's ordering the new one. Then he's going to give me some $$$ for it towards a 3TB drive instead and I'm still waiting on how much the super drive will run me. After this if I can get her to run another 2+ years I'll be a happy camper. Thankfully it does most of its work as a server more than anything now, most of the surfing/chatting/email is handled my by MBP, so I'm okay with the iMac being a little slower as far as the processor goes.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
Its back home on my desk, time machine is putting all of my data back on (or so I'm hoping) all at the blazing fast speed of USB 2.0. So I guess I'll check it out in the morning. It gave me an estimate of 8 hours and 16 minutes to get it all back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.