Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:08 PM   #1
xplnusa
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to xplnusa Send a message via Yahoo to xplnusa
The Seagate Debacle... Have I just become its next victim?

So this morning I went to wake my 09 iMac from sleep so that I could figure out why, once again my ATV wasn't seeing the library. Well, I put in my password and got the good old beach ball... After waiting about 5 min I decided I'd reboot it. Now I get to the white screen, Apple Logo and the spinning gears. 15 min later its still there. I tried unplugging it it, same thing. BUGGER... I did a search and my seriel number does say that I'm part of the Seagate HDD problem. Do you think this is the issue? Honestly I've had 0 problems with this iMac until about 3 weeks ago the superdrive died on me so I just purchased an external Blu Ray drive instead. Other than that its been a champ!

TIA for any help.

Heath
xplnusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:11 PM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Take it in. You've got a brand new HDD waiting.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplnusa View Post
So this morning I went to wake my 09 iMac from sleep so that I could figure out why, once again my ATV wasn't seeing the library. Well, I put in my password and got the good old beach ball... After waiting about 5 min I decided I'd reboot it. Now I get to the white screen, Apple Logo and the spinning gears. 15 min later its still there. I tried unplugging it it, same thing. BUGGER... I did a search and my seriel number does say that I'm part of the Seagate HDD problem. Do you think this is the issue? Honestly I've had 0 problems with this iMac until about 3 weeks ago the superdrive died on me so I just purchased an external Blu Ray drive instead. Other than that its been a champ!

TIA for any help.

Heath
Sounds like a bad hard drive, try booting from your recovery cd. If that works id take it back to Apple and get them to take a look. If its a Seagate or if you have Applecare on it they should fix it for free
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:15 PM   #4
xplnusa
macrumors regular

Okay, I'll dig out my boot CD and see what happens. Sadly my applecare expired back in October.

Thanks guys.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:23 PM   #5
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Okay, I'll dig out my boot CD and see what happens. Sadly my applecare expired back in October.

Thanks guys.
You're still covered till April 12.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:29 PM   #6
MatthewAMEL
macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/
MatthewAMEL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:54 AM   #7
xplnusa
macrumors regular

Dropped it off at a local Apple authorized service center tonight. (I'm 3.5 hours from the closest apple store). He should be calling me tomorrow to verify if its one of the seagate drives. Sounds like I might be paying an additional amount to have him replace my superdrive while he's got it open too. And possibly upgrade my HDD to a 3TB while its open...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Wrathwitch
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Thanks guys.
That doesn't matter. Mine was expired, I received an email from Apple stating that my Seagate HD qualified even though I had no problems with it. They are replacing them up to March 2013.

I booked my appointment, wiped my HD and brought it in. Replaced no problem, no charge.

*edit sorry I should have read the post to the end.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:26 AM   #9
xplnusa
macrumors regular

Got the call from the service center yesterday, it was a seagate HDD, so he's ordering the new one. Then he's going to give me some $$$ for it towards a 3TB drive instead and I'm still waiting on how much the super drive will run me. After this if I can get her to run another 2+ years I'll be a happy camper. Thankfully it does most of its work as a server more than anything now, most of the surfing/chatting/email is handled my by MBP, so I'm okay with the iMac being a little slower as far as the processor goes.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:04 AM   #10
xplnusa
macrumors regular

Its back home on my desk, time machine is putting all of my data back on (or so I'm hoping) all at the blazing fast speed of USB 2.0. So I guess I'll check it out in the morning. It gave me an estimate of 8 hours and 16 minutes to get it all back.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac