Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:55 PM   #26
ScholarsInk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Why is this forum so full of 2012 15" cMBP purchasers who feel as though they need to justify their purchase by denigrating the rMBP whenever there's a thread mentioning it? Buy what works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
Big(ger)? LOL. It's like half an inch in height and maybe an inch and a half in width/length. How exactly is that going to restrict its portability? Is it not going to fit between a doorway as you go from room to room?
It's considerably lighter.
ScholarsInk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:04 PM   #27
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholarsInk View Post
Why is this forum so full of 2012 15" cMBP purchasers who feel as though they need to justify their purchase by denigrating the rMBP whenever there's a thread mentioning it? Buy what works for you.
Apple split the market in two. both feel like they need justifying their purchase, as if that will make the future of their product more/less certain.
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:05 PM   #28
bushido
macrumors 603
 
bushido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Espaņa y Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
Big(ger)? LOL. It's like half an inch in height and maybe an inch and a half in width/length. How exactly is that going to restrict its portability? Is it not going to fit between a doorway as you go from room to room?
and the iPhone 4S didnt fit in ur pants either? so who cares if the iPhone 5 is thinner and lighter right? :P
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:07 PM   #29
xShane
macrumors 6502a
 
xShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholarsInk View Post
Why is this forum so full of 2012 15" cMBP purchasers who feel as though they need to justify their purchase by denigrating the rMBP whenever there's a thread mentioning it? Buy what works for you.



It's considerably lighter.
I'm not trying to justify anything other than the fact that the rMBP shouldn't be bought just because it's more portable. That's hardly a determining factor.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
and the iPhone 4S didnt fit in ur pants either? so who cares if the iPhone 5 is thinner and lighter right? :P
The rMBP isn't a tablet or a smartphone... I could hardly see where someone would *REALLY* need a rMBP just *barely* smaller than a normal MBP. In how many situations is that really going to matter?
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6, 8GB, 750GB, 1GB VRAM
24" Asus display


"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:12 PM   #30
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
I'm not trying to justify anything other than the fact that the rMBP shouldn't be bought just because it's more portable. That's hardly a determining factor.

----------



The rMBP isn't a tablet or a smartphone... I could hardly see where someone would *REALLY* need a rMBP just *barely* smaller than a normal MBP. In how many situations is that really going to matter?
To be honest, I wanted to go down a size. (I have a late2008 uMBP 15") and 13" didn't offer a quadcore. So actually less girth is something that's more than welcome if you opt for a 13"er.

Retina actually weighs just a hair less than 13" uMB(P).

It wasn't a deciding factor when I bought it, but it certainly was an extra point for the retina.
Main factors were HDMI and extra TB port. Actually, thats two extra TB ports if don't shell out for an expensive docking solution or TB display...

with cMBP if you only use a normal screen without a docking station, you're left with no more TB ports.
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:21 PM   #31
xShane
macrumors 6502a
 
xShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploki View Post
To be honest, I wanted to go down a size. (I have a late2008 uMBP 15") and 13" didn't offer a quadcore. So actually less girth is something that's more than welcome if you opt for a 13"er.

Retina actually weighs just a hair less than 13" uMB(P).

It wasn't a deciding factor when I bought it, but it certainly was an extra point for the retina.
Main factors were HDMI and extra TB port. Actually, thats two extra TB ports if don't shell out for an expensive docking solution or TB display...

with cMBP if you only use a normal screen without a docking station, you're left with no more TB ports.
I see your point. But me personally, I only care about the main specs (i.e processor, ram, vram, etc.).

Then again, everyone looks for different things in a laptop. I was just trying to argue a point, though, that you shouldn't buy the rMBP just because of its "portability".
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6, 8GB, 750GB, 1GB VRAM
24" Asus display


"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:30 PM   #32
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
I see your point. But me personally, I only care about the main specs (i.e processor, ram, vram, etc.).

Then again, everyone looks for different things in a laptop. I was just trying to argue a point, though, that you shouldn't buy the rMBP just because of its "portability".
Not entirely, no.

It seems odd that Apple didn't kill off cMBP directly. they didn't keep the old ALU 15" when they introduced the unibody?

Seems like they were afraid to state "this is the future of laptops" to be confident enough to offer only one 15" laptop like they used to until today.
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:33 PM   #33
xShane
macrumors 6502a
 
xShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploki View Post
Not entirely, no.

It seems odd that Apple didn't kill off cMBP directly. they didn't keep the old ALU 15" when they introduced the unibody?

Seems like they were afraid to state "this is the future of laptops" to be confident enough to offer only one 15" laptop like they used to until today.
Seems like they were right to be afraid, too. I had the option of getting a rMBP close to the normal MBP I ordered for only like $300 more. However, after some research I decided it was WAY too risky buying a rMBP due to the many problems (and possible problems) they will experience.
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6, 8GB, 750GB, 1GB VRAM
24" Asus display


"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:00 PM   #34
bowlman23
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
Seems like they were right to be afraid, too. I had the option of getting a rMBP close to the normal MBP I ordered for only like $300 more. However, after some research I decided it was WAY too risky buying a rMBP due to the many problems (and possible problems) they will experience.
Since the rMBP has been out for 6 months, have they fixed any of the issues they were having? I'm on the fence on purchasing one, but this forum scares me, lol.
bowlman23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:04 PM   #35
Maggot FF
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
Seems like they were right to be afraid, too. I had the option of getting a rMBP close to the normal MBP I ordered for only like $300 more. However, after some research I decided it was WAY too risky buying a rMBP due to the many problems (and possible problems) they will experience.
This is basically just a misconception. A cMBP is just as likely to run into problems as a rMBP, but the rMBP has had some issues with its screen. Then again, that's basically it. The difference is that the rMBP is a new machine. This makes people create new topics about their issues since old ones with a solution doesn't exist yet, hence, the flow of problem-topics you see with the retina.

A lot of people try to justify their purchase of either a rMBP or a cMBP these days (or rather, since the release of the rMBP), and i have to say that i personally see no reason whatsoever to buy a cMBP anymore, but they are still both great machines.

I am however a bit fed up with people claiming that the cMBP is a better buy. Unless you use dvd's a lot and you don't want a superdrive, or you really need upgradeability, i see no reason to buy the cMBP over the rMBP.

But as others said, you buy what you need.

And to the OP, i can't think of a task i can do with a iMac that i can't with a rMBP. Spec-wise they are very similar (though the iMac can be specced higher, of course), but the rMBP has the portability, the screen, the power. All in one awesome package. But the iMac is a great deal for the money if you don't need to carry your work around with you (or around the house).
__________________
15" retina MacBook - 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD.
Samsung Galaxy S3 (Best phone I've ever had.)
Maggot FF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:06 PM   #36
TofSanity
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot ff View Post
this is basically just a misconception. A cmbp is just as likely to run into problems as a rmbp, but the rmbp has had some issues with its screen. Then again, that's basically it. The difference is that the rmbp is a new machine. This makes people create new topics about their issues since old ones with a solution doesn't exist yet, hence, the flow of problem-topics you see with the retina.

A lot of people try to justify their purchase of either a rmbp or a cmbp these days (or rather, since the release of the rmbp), and i have to say that i personally see no reason whatsoever to buy a cmbp anymore, but they are still both great machines.

I am however a bit fed up with people claiming that the cmbp is a better buy. Unless you use dvd's a lot and you don't want a superdrive, or you really need upgradeability, i see no reason to buy the cmbp over the rmbp.

But as others said, you buy what you need.

And to the op, i can't think of a task i can do with a imac that i can't with a rmbp. Spec-wise they are very similar (though the imac can be specced higher, of course), but the rmbp has the portability, the screen, the power. All in one awesome package. But the imac is a great deal for the money if you don't need to carry your work around with you (or around the house).
word!
__________________
15" rMBP 2.6GHz i7 16GB RAM OS X 10.10
iPad Air Space Gray 128GB iOS 8.1
iPhone 6plus SG 128GB iOS 8.1
TofSanity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:14 PM   #37
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a
 
A Hebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
iMac - Not up-gradable
rMBP - Not up-gradable

Who would choose a desktop when they perform pretty much the same? (Unless you pre-order the crap out of the 27")
__________________
2012 13" MacBook Air | 2012 27" iMac | iPad 3 | iPhone 5
A Hebrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:31 PM   #38
bill-p
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechZeke View Post
Will people please stop saying this? The cMBP has it's upgradeability. STOP basing it off of apple rip-off upgrade prices. It would have cost me about an extra $100 to get 1 TB and 8GB of RAM from Apple, compared to price I paid for the 1TB HDD and 16 GB of RAM I have now. AND I get to keep my old 500GB as external storage or backup, as well keep my original stock RAM.
Consider a 256GB SSD then. The cheapest 256GB SSD I can find is $150. And good ones are usually around $180-$200.

Cheapest 8GB RAM upgrade I can find is $30.

So 256GB SSD with 8GB RAM is easily another $200 on top. If I were to get a cMBP with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, I'd have to fork over $1999 at the cheapest for a brand new machine.

For $200 more, I get four times the pixel count, a faster GPU with more VRAM, a thinner and lighter body, and extra ports.

I think the choice is clear for me. I'm not too crazy on upgrading RAM or HDD down the line, since neither of those seems lacking at this time.
bill-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:35 PM   #39
frocco
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Well I just got home from the Apple Store with my new rMBP.

Going to unbox and check it out first.
__________________
Regards, Frank
frocco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:35 PM   #40
Zeov
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Odense
nvm-
__________________
iMac 27 Basemodel MacBook Air "13 Ultimate Macbook Pro "13 iPad iPhone 4
Zeov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:40 PM   #41
TofSanity
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by frocco View Post
Well I just got home from the Apple Store with my new rMBP.

Going to unbox and check it out first.
which one did you purchase?
__________________
15" rMBP 2.6GHz i7 16GB RAM OS X 10.10
iPad Air Space Gray 128GB iOS 8.1
iPhone 6plus SG 128GB iOS 8.1
TofSanity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:01 PM   #42
ScholarsInk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-p View Post
Consider a 256GB SSD then. The cheapest 256GB SSD I can find is $150. And good ones are usually around $180-$200.

Cheapest 8GB RAM upgrade I can find is $30.

So 256GB SSD with 8GB RAM is easily another $200 on top. If I were to get a cMBP with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, I'd have to fork over $1999 at the cheapest for a brand new machine.

For $200 more, I get four times the pixel count, a faster GPU with more VRAM, a thinner and lighter body, and extra ports.

I think the choice is clear for me. I'm not too crazy on upgrading RAM or HDD down the line, since neither of those seems lacking at this time.
And for students, $1999 is the price of the base rMBP which makes the choice simply preference.
ScholarsInk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:50 PM   #43
lulla01
macrumors 68000
 
lulla01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S
Send a message via AIM to lulla01
I bought the retina pro before the iMac came out or else I would have gotten a decked out 27 inch
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:55 PM   #44
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
I chose MBP retina, because I don't like being stuck behind a desk in one place all day. That's just one of many reasons
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:44 PM   #45
Haiku214
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Desktop - Choose PC
Laptop - Choose Apple
__________________
Notebook: 15" Macbook Pro Retina (2.3/8/256)
Desktop: Custom built Gaming PC
Haiku214 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:47 PM   #46
frocco
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I ended up getting the 2.7/16gb/768

My only choice for 16gb unless I ordered online.

Screen is perfect
__________________
Regards, Frank
frocco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:35 PM   #47
adjeff8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
Lol, no offense, but it's only a difference of like two pounds. It's HARDLY any difference in shape/size, either.



This is probably more valid of a point than the previous. Yet, I've never had a problem with regular drives. EVEN so, you can always put an SSD in a regular MBP, still saving TONS of money.
Is it really TONS of money? The RMBP is $2,199. The cMBP is $1,799. The cMBP only comes with 4g of Ram, so now we're talking $1,899. Now you have to buy and install a SSD. Not really sure what that will cost. But I'm guessing at least $300. But you don't have a retina screen, the cooling system, etc. just sayin
adjeff8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:56 PM   #48
Haiku214
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
The pricing of the rmbp is positioned as such so that if you were to buy a cmbp with ram and ssd upgrades (even with 3rd party vendors), you would be swayed to just go for the retina version because both will more or less be the same in price but the retina has much better display, thinner (although with no disc drive), and other new design features.

So essentially, the cmbp is good only if you are contented with the stock specs.
__________________
Notebook: 15" Macbook Pro Retina (2.3/8/256)
Desktop: Custom built Gaming PC
Haiku214 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:32 AM   #49
FYDave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
It really just came down to being able to take a powerful machine with me for work when I'm not at home.

I may add an iMac to my setup in the future but the rMBP does what I need it to very well.
FYDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:37 AM   #50
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Besides portability there is NO other reason to get a rMBP over a iMac. The new iMac is superior in every other way including the screen due to the 27" massive size imo.
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What made you choose the MBPr to game on over an Xbox One or PS4? Hieveryone MacBook Pro 17 May 11, 2014 09:14 AM
When would you choose a 4-core nMP over an iMac or rMBP? johngwheeler Mac Pro 8 Jan 16, 2014 03:05 AM
Choice Made! See #42 (was: how to choose between HTC One & SGS4 for android novice?) trina27 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 46 Jul 13, 2013 03:31 AM
Buying a new rMBP! Please Help Me Choose peterlptl MacBook Pro 7 Mar 22, 2013 08:31 AM
Have any of you made the switch from Imac to rMBP? IGregory MacBook Pro 7 Aug 8, 2012 12:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC