Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:54 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Promises 10Gbps Data Transfers, Coming in 2014

The trade organization behind the USB 3.0 specification has announced a new upgraded spec that promises higher data speeds over backwards compatible connections.

The new spec enhanced SuperSpeed USB 3.0 spec should deliver a 10 Gbps data rate -- the same as current Thunderbolt connectors -- though don't expect it any time soon. The new protocol should be finalized sometime in 2013, with initial products featuring the connector appearing in late-2014 or 2015, reports CNET.
Quote:
To take advantage of the double-speed USB 3.0 interface, devices such as computers, hubs, and digital cameras will need new USB controller hardware. However, the new version of USB 3.0 uses the same connectors, so existing USB devices can be plugged into the higher-speed ports.

USB 3.0 cables may or may not work. "Existing SuperSpeed USB cables are not certified to operate at 10 Gbps; it is possible that some existing SuperSpeed USB cables may be capable of operating at 10 Gbps," the group said.
The new devices should be backwards compatible with older USB hardware, though not at the upgraded speeds.

Thunderbolt, which moves data at up to 10Gbps in both directions, appears mostly on Apple devices currently, but devices tend to be more expensive than their USB 3.0-compatible counterparts. However, Thunderbolt does have a strong ally in Intel, with the company pushing the standard heavily.

Article Link: SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Promises 10Gbps Data Transfers, Coming in 2014
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Axemantitan
macrumors 6502

I much prefer Thunderbolt. It has much lower CPU usage, and can be used to connect displays. That's not the case for USB.

Favorite website: http://www.mammals.org/
Axemantitan is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:58 PM   #3
iphone495
macrumors member

I still prefer USB, much more widely adapted than TB.
iphone495 is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:02 PM   #4
lunarworks
macrumors 6502

Both have different usage scenarios, so saying "I like this one better" is pointless.
lunarworks is offline   49 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:02 PM   #5
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axemantitan View Post
I much prefer Thunderbolt. It has much lower CPU usage, and can be used to connect displays. That's not the case for USB.
I think it would be a replacement for USB 2.0, not TB.
MrDc2 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Seriously Apple, get your act together already.
Pakaku is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:06 PM   #7
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Is this a side-swipe of "we need our own 10Gig" standard, on PC's, becase Apple has Thunderbolt, we need something too?

Lets not forgot, Thunderbolt is not popular, and wide-soread, while USB is, so maybje thats why?

Whichever way you look, new hardware, new cables (probably)

Make ya wonder now, if this is true, why Apple decided to keep Thunderbolt. They must of know its not as popular..

I mean, it has been over 9+ months,, Maybie they think, hopefully it will be big. How much can you do with Thunderbolt, now how much can you do with USB. Plenty more, because manufactures have made it possible on all PC's too, and as adapter cards. I Like to see thunderbolt adapter cards.

There hitting against a brick wall, i hate to say. Its either this (10 Gig USB ports maybie) or USB 3.0 (5 Gig) we have now on new Macs.

Obviously, somone out there is saying, " 5 Gig is just not fast enough, we need to race againt Apple"
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:07 PM   #8
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
and how much do thunderbolt accessories cost again?
JS82712 is offline   32 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:11 PM   #9
DJJAZZYJET
macrumors 6502

and we need 10gb data transfer for what exactly.
DJJAZZYJET is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:12 PM   #10
iKanit
macrumors newbie

I use Macbook Retina, but I less prefer Thunderbolt. How can you accept interface system which cost you $59 only for a cable?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:13 PM   #11
saud0488
Banned

Quote:
Except that pretty much nothing supports it, and those that do cost entirely too much.
saud0488 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:14 PM   #12
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

This new SuperSpeed USB 3 will likely win out and we'll see the slow death of Thunderbolt just like we saw the slow death of FireWire. A committed following sung the praises of FireWire to the bitter end and that will likely happen with Thunderbolt, as well.
avanpelt is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:15 PM   #13
saud0488
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
Is this a side-swipe of "we need our own 10Gig" standard, on PC's, becase Apple has Thunderbolt, we need something too?

Lets not forgot, Thunderbolt is not popular, and wide-soread, while USB is, so maybje thats why?

Whichever way you look, new hardware, new cables (probably)

Make ya wonder now, if this is true, why Apple decided to keep Thunderbolt. They must of know its not as popular..

I mean, it has been over 9+ months,, Maybie they think, hopefully it will be big. How much can you do with Thunderbolt, now how much can you do with USB. Plenty more, because manufactures have made it possible on all PC's too, and as adapter cards. I Like to see thunderbolt adapter cards.

There hitting against a brick wall, i hate to say. Its either this (10 Gig USB ports maybie) or USB 3.0 (5 Gig) we have now on new Macs.

Obviously, somone out there is saying, " 5 Gig is just not fast enough, we need to race againt Apple"
Yeah I don't get it either. Thunderbolt is on it's way to failing miserably so USB 3.0 would be fine at 5 Mbps.
saud0488 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Hmmm. 2015. By then TB 2.0 fiber will be entrenched. Intel and Apple are both backing it and the other "standards" will be on the "many" PC's.

Oh wait. It's already shipping. 2013.

http://global-sei.com/news/press/12/prs105_s.html

Oops not 10gbps one direction. 20 Gbps two direction. Now. Services computers, devices, displays up to 7 daisy chained.

Last edited by Rocketman; Jan 6, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Rocketman is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:17 PM   #15
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

As I recall Intel is set to release a new Thunderbolt controller in 2014 that will boost its speeds to 20Gb/s.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:17 PM   #16
Nermal

Shouldn't this be USB 3.1?
Nermal is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:19 PM   #17
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nermal View Post
shouldn't this be usb 3.1?
usb 3++
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:19 PM   #18
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJAZZYJET View Post
Restoring an entire user from an external drive when the internal HD fails.
MrDc2 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:20 PM   #19
kendallb
macrumors newbie

Comparing thunderbolt and USB 3.0 is like apples and oranges. They are quite different in how they work. Thunderbolt effectively extends the PCI bus over cables (and now there are Thunderbolt fiber optic cables that can go hundreds of feet), so you can put anything on the end of the cable you can plug into a PCI slot. So far products using thunderbolt are more expensive, but they are way more flexible, especially for adding complex devices to laptops or mini's. I am actually surprised no PC vendors have not added it already since it is an Intel SPEC not Apple.

USB 3.0 on the other hand is just faster USB. Very flexible and great for high speed peripherals like external hard drives, cameras etc. The device driver model is completely different to Thunderbolt though.

The primary reason for a faster USB 3.0 spec is really for external data storage as the latest SSD drives (especially in RAID) can swamp out even the current USB 3.0 spec. And by the time super speed USB 3.0 arrives, the drives will likely be much faster and will need 10G connections to keep up.

At the end of the day they really serve different purposes, which is the reason the latest Mac's come with both. I doubt it will ever be one or the other.
kendallb is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:22 PM   #20
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
This new SuperSpeed USB 3 will likely win out and we'll see the slow death of Thunderbolt just like we saw the slow death of FireWire. A committed following sung the praises of FireWire to the bitter end and that will likely happen with Thunderbolt, as well.
Thunderbolt will at the very least remain popular in the professional world, just as FireWire did for a many years. It could even be a little more successful simply because it doubles as a video connector.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:24 PM   #21
Axemantitan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
and how much do thunderbolt accessories cost again?
I never cited cost, nor did I claim them to be cheap. I cited resource use and versatility.

Favorite website: http://www.mammals.org/
Axemantitan is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:25 PM   #22
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Shouldn't this be USB 3.1?
If they start calling it "Superspeed USB" that will confuse me like crazy.
"Now faster"

FYI.. You can get cheap TB cables from other sources. MonoPrice.

But i still agree, lack of hardware support by manufactures.

Last edited by Tech198; Jan 6, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:28 PM   #23
ps45
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJAZZYJET View Post
Not this again. I don't know what you need it for, but others might need it to improve the way they do the work they do for a living.
ps45 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:29 PM   #24
dblissmn
macrumors regular

Doesn't look good for Thunderbolt.

Leave it to Apple to take a standard that is even farther ahead of USB 3 than Firewire was ahead of USB 2, and yet drive it even farther into the ditch than they ever drove FireWire.

The licensing fees, the Apple/Intel exclusivity for the first 12 months, and so on -- every move they have made has intensified the mistakes they made, and obvioiusly did not learn from, with FireWire.
dblissmn is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:29 PM   #25
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
I never cited cost, nor did I claim them to be cheap. I cited resource use and versatility.
And those things you mentioned certainly aren't worth the extra $ one has to spend to get a decent thunderbolt accessory
JS82712 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion