Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:20 PM   #1
sk1wbw
In Time-Out

Keycard for OS X

Here's my little write up about a nifty little security app for the laptop.

Keycard
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:43 PM   #2
sk1wbw
In Time-Out

Update 1, showing a big security bypass.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:04 AM   #3
PaintTheSkyGrey
macrumors newbie

Using Filevault will solve the "security flaw" that's not really a flaw.

The software isn't much other than a password-protected screensaver that comes on when your bluetooth device leaves a certain range. If you shut down your computer, you will be able to start it up to the desktop if there is no password set.

Even if you do have something as little as an account password set (and no encryption mechanism, such as Filevault), anyone with local access to your computer can reset your password from the recovery partition and log in and see your files.

This is meant to be sort of a passive security system, to prevent the occasional wanderer from either seeing what's on your computer, or to prevent someone from posting naughty things from your Facebook account when you walk away for a second. It's not an end-all-be-all security solution, nor do I think it's advertised as one.
PaintTheSkyGrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:16 PM   #4
JeremyLaurenson
macrumors newbie

Amazing the hype around this "new and revolutionary app".

Our app, TokenLock has been around for years. It's more powerful (although admittedly uglier), is more secure, is cheaper by half and has a free demo version here: http://www.map-pin.com/trial-software/tokenlock.html

Itll run scripts, apps, supports USB devices, IR Remotes and a boatload more.
JeremyLaurenson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:01 PM   #5
G4DP
macrumors 65816

This has to be a joke? You would be providing more options for hackers not reducing them.

Let's create an App, you have to have blue-tooth turned on for it to work though and you need an iDevice? Opening up a communication method is really good for security. And only a 4 digit code? That would take millieseconds for a hacker to break with the right software.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:47 AM   #6
sportsnapper
macrumors member

@ JeremyLaurenson I might have given this a longer look if it hadn't automatically triggered a download of the trail when I went to the web page. Not very happy the way that happened.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 07:35 PM   #7
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyLaurenson View Post
Amazing the hype around this "new and revolutionary app".

Our app, TokenLock has been around for years. It's more powerful (although admittedly uglier), is more secure, is cheaper by half and has a free demo version here: http://www.map-pin.com/trial-software/tokenlock.html

Itll run scripts, apps, supports USB devices, IR Remotes and a boatload more.
I don't know about that. I downloaded the trial and it auto locked my machine right away. Luckily little snitch made a prompt and it went out of it. Then I quickly set a password and it did it again while I was using the machine. This time it would not accept the password I had set. I had to restart manually and quickly deleted the free trial app.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store