Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I am trying to learn more about security related issues so I was wondering if someone might be able to give some insight on what harms can result by a person knowing your IP address? If I understand correctly, it changes from time to time.

Also, what's the difference between WPA and WPA2 encryption?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I am trying to learn more about security related issues so I was wondering if someone might be able to give some insight on what harms can result by a person knowing your IP address? If I understand correctly, it changes from time to time.
That depends on the ISP - some assign static IP addresses and others assign dynamic (dynamic being the most common).

There aren't really any direct security threats if someone knows your IP - assuming your network & computer are secured.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
They can find out in what city you live. And your IP only changes if your ISP does not have a static IP. Which is generally the case for dialup...but for able its static.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I'm guessing here, I think ISP do keep a log of ip assignment when their user log in using adsl/dsl modem. If it is some emergency, I think they should be able to track which customer has logged in, using the ip,date and time.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

With your IP address, I can find out who your ISP is, and often can find out roughly where you live. Used it once to track down some idiot who vandalised a Wiki; got down to the address of the Internet cafe that he was using.

If you do anything criminal, I can get a subpoena against your ISP and find exactly who is paying for the Internet connection to which this IP address belongs; here the time is also important as your IP address usually changes. If you post something criminal on MacRumors, I can get a subpoena against MacRumors who knows your IP address.

If I know your IP address, I can try to send a virus directly to your computer, instead of sending it blindly to any IP address in the world. Virus writers often use this after a computer they had under their control got cleaned up. For example, if you had a windows virus, then reinstall Windows and go on the Internet to download all security updates, the same virus is likely to be sent directly to your computer to reinfect it before you can finish installing the security updates. With a Macintosh, this is no risk if the Mac was not vulnerable to the virus in the first place.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
IP addresses are nothing secret. Every time someone visits a website, the owner can see a log of their IP address. From this it's usually possible to the ISP or the company name if they have their own system.

Most people have dynamic IPs, although it is possible to pay for static ones, if you're running a network for example.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
WPA was a stopgap to replace the broken WEP encryption algorithm whilst the 802.11i standard was agreed upon. Once 802.11i was ratified it was marketed as WPA2. Most WPA-supporting network cards can be made to work with WPA2 with a firmware update, but there are some that are incompatible.

As for your IP address, the most important thing someone can do if they know it is attempt to attack your computer. If you're behind a properly configured firewall you're pretty much safe, but if the attacker can work out what software the firewall itself is based on, it may be possible for them to attack and compromise it, then open up TCP/UDP ports to allow them access to the machines behind. For extra safety you should use a hardware firewall/router so that it's separate from your computer. Software ones are okay, but more likely to be compromisable (a good example of that are the Symantec products which frequently get targetted by exploit code). Mac OSX is quite robust against attack though, so it's less of a worry than for Windows users.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
As others have said - the main danger is that a potential attacker can target your specific PC/Mac. So, it's important that your machine is well protected, via firewalls/secure passwords/minimising running services/anti-virus software as necessary.

Macs are by no means invulnerable. I had a VNC server whose UI told me it was stopped but actually was running all the while, and with no password. I have no idea how long this was happening - I only realised it when someone logged in to my Mac and started snooping around while I was using it!

Be careful out there.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Regarding the firewall, is there a different level of firewall protection than what I select in system preferences when I turn on the firewall? WHat would constitute a properly configured firewall as opposed to one that was not properly configured?

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I'd liken someone having your IP address to someone having your address.

Given enough time and patience, with that information, people can do a fair amount of damage if they're determined. However, the fact that most IPs are dymanic (at least for home users) should give you at least a nominal amount of security, provided you shutdown your computer or renew your DHCP lease fairly often.

EchoAdmin

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
virginia
I know this is an old thread but if someone is here then they might need assistance. If your worried about your ip address simply change it. What i mean is to use a VPN which is a virtual private network. Here your ip address is as secure as the VPN you subscribe to. For instance, I use HideMyAss pro but there are a number of relatively cheap options. Most people use this for file sharing but whatever your cause hope this helps. :D

winter08

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Can someone find out my home address through ip address?????

I am worryd about sum1 finding my home adres thrugh my ip adres. is it possibale? i deal with alot of online gamers.. it is my hobbie. And they always threat to find my home adres ... IS THAT POSSIBALE??? pleese reply ASAP... Also, IF it is possibale, can i get a new router? would that help if i get a new router and NEVER log back on again?? please help me with all the knowledge you have!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I am worryd about sum1 finding my home adres thrugh my ip adres. is it possibale? i deal with alot of online gamers.. it is my hobbie. And they always threat to find my home adres ... IS THAT POSSIBALE??? pleese reply ASAP... Also, IF it is possibale, can i get a new router? would that help if i get a new router and NEVER log back on again?? please help me with all the knowledge you have!

Why not read the discussion in this thread? It answers your question.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I did. Its just not a positive answer. I need to be sure.

They can find what "region" you are in, but without internal access to your ISP's records, they won't find your exact home address. For example, if you use Charter Cable in Atlanta, publicly available records will show that your IP is used by Charter Cable in Atlanta... but that's it.

winter08

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
What of im like on my ipod and they get my ip and calculate my latitude and longitude of my ip..? They say they can get it like that..

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What of im like on my ipod and they get my ip and calculate my latitude and longitude of my ip..? They say they can get it like that..

Not possible. If you are on your iPod Touch, the IP is coming from a wi-fi router somewhere, like you home or Starbucks or whatever. All anybody can do it determine the region of that IP.

winter08

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
someone said they have a certain website. they use their credit card and they type in an ip, and it searches for exact personal info. i have verizon fios, and i dont know if this is possible or not, but i am very much panicing. if someone could please tell me how the heck to protect myself. this is so creepy. i killed someone on a game and they lost their stuff, and they said they would try to find me using their credit card, on a website, to find personal info on me!!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
someone said they have a certain website. they use their credit card and they type in an ip, and it searches for exact personal info. i have verizon fios, and i dont know if this is possible or not, but i am very much panicing. if someone could please tell me how the heck to protect myself. this is so creepy. i killed someone on a game and they lost their stuff, and they said they would try to find me using their credit card, on a website, to find personal info on me!!

Not going to happen. Like I mentioned earlier, the ONLY way to get your exact address from an IP is to access your Internet provider's database.

I'm not sure what else I can say to reassure you. This is just how IPs on the Internet work.

joeycool

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013
Australia

Also, what's the difference between WPA and WPA2 encryption?

Its good that your learning about these things and its also good that macs are more AV resilient. When someone wants to find out information about you or your computer they simply have to type in your IP Address. When hackers or anyone else for that matter, have access to your computers IP Address, they can attempt to gain access to your computer by any of the numerous open ports that exist. An open port is basically a connection point that Internet services, hardware, and applications use to talk to your computer. http://ipaddresshq.com/why-it-is-important-to-hide-your-ip-address-and-surf-anonymously/

Regarding the firewall, is there a different level of firewall protection than what I select in system preferences when I turn on the firewall? WHat would constitute a properly configured firewall as opposed to one that was not properly configured?

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/ is the best out there as you can watch a log of IP address active on your system using the killswitch function allows you to watch active processes and active network processes, local port and remote access.

22-02-201305-25-02PM_zps489ef748.jpg

I know this is an old thread but if someone is here then they might need assistance. If your worried about your ip address simply change it. What i mean is to use a VPN which is a virtual private network. Here your ip address is as secure as the VPN you subscribe to. For instance, I use HideMyAss pro but there are a number of relatively cheap options. Most people use this for file sharing but whatever your cause hope this helps. :D

Right on brother Hidemyass Software Review Surf The Internet Anonymously

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.