Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:49 AM   #1
hydr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
2013 Apple predictions, bring it on!

OK, letīs revisit this thread in january 2014! Letīs hear your predictions for 2013.

Iīll go first:

New product:
iTV - UltraHD 3860x1920 (4K), High fidelity audio, excellent speakers surround sound, 3D No glasses?, Transparent? Ultra thin, IGZO display and made in beautiful Liquid metal. Controlled by iPhone,iPad or iPod and SIRI. Lets you subscribe to individual TV Channels, every show stored in iCloud as well as your channels subscriptions. Also possible to stream any of those TV channels to any IOS device. Stream 4K movies through iTunes. User based content configuration through biometric fingerprint. You press your finger on IOS7 device TV app, and it will display that users channels, shows, etc automatically.

iWatch (doubtful): Beautiful waterproof liquid metal design, Biometric authentication to iCloud and all other Apple services. SIRI+ control and features. Phone,Facetime,iMessage, etc. This will not be a gadget type of watch, but more a elegant stylish think Omega type watch.

IOS 7: A more redefined UI all over. Multi-user support. Biometric scanner support. Improved Maps & Siri.

OSX 10.9 now with biometric scanner. New major releases of iWork,iLife, Logic and Aperture.

iPad "5" now as thin as ipad mini using IGZO retina display - same battery time as current iPad. Faster processor. Biometric scanner for authentication. No more pin code. Different user finger equals different apps,music,photos,customization.

iPad Mini now with IGZO retina display, same battery & biometric scanner.

iPhone 5s same form factor but with IGZO display & biometric scanner.

Macbook Air now with retina display & biometric scanner. Slightly thinner due to IGZO display.

Mac Pro in a much smaller form factor, beautiful liquidmetal made case. Expansion through improved thunderbolt for additional GFX/Audio cards/disks.
Be sure to hook it up to your iTV for an awesome 4K display.

And last but not least, 2013 revenue will end up at $201b with EPS at $69.

Thatīs my prediction, and I look forward to re-reading it and laugh in 2014!
hydr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:22 PM   #2
WhiteIphone5
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post
OK, letīs revisit this thread in january 2014! Letīs hear your predictions for 2013.

Iīll go first:

New product:
iTV - UltraHD 3860x1920 (4K), High fidelity audio, excellent speakers surround sound, 3D No glasses?, Transparent? Ultra thin, IGZO display and made in beautiful Liquid metal. Controlled by iPhone,iPad or iPod and SIRI. Lets you subscribe to individual TV Channels, every show stored in iCloud as well as your channels subscriptions. Also possible to stream any of those TV channels to any IOS device. Stream 4K movies through iTunes. User based content configuration through biometric fingerprint. You press your finger on IOS7 device TV app, and it will display that users channels, shows, etc automatically.

iWatch (doubtful): Beautiful waterproof liquid metal design, Biometric authentication to iCloud and all other Apple services. SIRI+ control and features. Phone,Facetime,iMessage, etc. This will not be a gadget type of watch, but more a elegant stylish think Omega type watch.

IOS 7: A more redefined UI all over. Multi-user support. Biometric scanner support. Improved Maps & Siri.

OSX 10.9 now with biometric scanner. New major releases of iWork,iLife, Logic and Aperture.

iPad "5" now as thin as ipad mini using IGZO retina display - same battery time as current iPad. Faster processor. Biometric scanner for authentication. No more pin code. Different user finger equals different apps,music,photos,customization.

iPad Mini now with IGZO retina display, same battery & biometric scanner.

iPhone 5s same form factor but with IGZO display & biometric scanner.

Macbook Air now with retina display & biometric scanner. Slightly thinner due to IGZO display.

Mac Pro in a much smaller form factor, beautiful liquidmetal made case. Expansion through improved thunderbolt for additional GFX/Audio cards/disks.
Be sure to hook it up to your iTV for an awesome 4K display.

And last but not least, 2013 revenue will end up at $201b with EPS at $69.

Thatīs my prediction, and I look forward to re-reading it and laugh in 2014!
seems like you want everything equipped with Biometric scanners
WhiteIphone5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Jaro65
macrumors 68040
 
Jaro65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
MacPro gets discontinued. The move is justified by Apple management who will state that soon enough an iPad 7 will offer roughly the level level of performance as current MacPro.

Or maybe not?
__________________
rMBP | MBP | MBA | ACD | iPad | iPhone | ATV | iPods | Senn HD 650
Jaro65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:36 PM   #4
ECUpirate44
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
I disagree with EVERYTHING in your post.
ECUpirate44 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:38 PM   #5
rhett7660
macrumors 604
 
rhett7660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny, Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro65 View Post
MacPro gets discontinued. The move is justified by Apple management who will state that soon enough an iPad 7 will offer roughly the level level of performance as current MacPro.

Or maybe not?
God I hope not!
__________________
"It's quite an experience to hold the hand of someone as they move from living to dead."
"Times are looking grim these days, holding on to everything, it's hard to draw the line"
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
mobilehaathi
macrumors 68040
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Something is released/updated. Some people are cranky about it; other people are thrilled. That's my prediction.
__________________
The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked along.
mobilehaathi is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:24 PM   #7
malman89
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Most/all the product lines just get refreshes instead of redesigns, so everyone is grumpy.

Mac Pro gets a redesign, but people hate it. Apple removes the optical drive for lulz.
__________________
Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:44 AM   #8
OnceYouGoMac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In front of my Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro65 View Post
MacPro gets discontinued. The move is justified by Apple management who will state that soon enough an iPad 7 will offer roughly the level level of performance as current MacPro.

Or maybe not?
I doubt that would happen. Professional users still need the power you get out of the Mac Pro. Until the iPad is able to run Final Cut Pro, Adobe CS6 and whatever other heavy software pros use then there is no chance of it being discontinued. Anyway isn't the MP due an update this year?
OnceYouGoMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:51 AM   #9
yg17
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac View Post
Anyway isn't the MP due an update this year?
One could argue it's been due an update the past two years...
__________________
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus.
yg17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Apple March/April Keynote

Apple usually hold a product launch event around March/April. What do you think they'll release in March/April 2013?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:14 AM   #11
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603
 
MacBoobsPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Apple usually hold a product launch event around March/April. What do you think they'll release in March/April 2013?
5s, small AppleTV update and spec bumps. Hoping for Mac Pro.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:23 AM   #12
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoobsPro View Post
5s, small AppleTV update and spec bumps. Hoping for Mac Pro.
You're supposed to think crazy updates then angrily voice your disappointment. Please try again.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam!
SilentPanda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:26 AM   #13
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603
 
MacBoobsPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
You're supposed to think crazy updates then angrily voice your disappointment. Please try again.
In that case then Mac Pro.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:48 AM   #14
WhiteIphone5
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoobsPro View Post
In that case then Mac Pro.
Most def not a 5S.
I'd say Mac Pro, Apple TV and possibly ipad 5
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:03 AM   #15
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Do you think apple will change around regular product launch months for everything in 2013 to be less predictable?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:19 AM   #16
cambookpro
macrumors 68040
 
cambookpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berks, England
Hardware
  • MacBook Air (mid 2013): Spec update with Haswell processors
  • MacBook Pro (mid 2013): No more 'classic' MBP, retina line gets price drop and Haswell processors
  • iPad mini: Retina screen, A6, 1GB RAM. Same design, possibly slightly thicker.
  • iPad (5th generation): Radical new design, similar to iPad mini and iPhone 5. Better cameras, battery life.
  • Mac Pro: Totally redesigned. Stackable, smaller. Very powerful.
  • iPhone 5S: Same design as iPhone 5. NFC, better camera, A7 processor, Siri 1.0
  • iMac (late 2013): Slight spec upgrade late 2013.
  • Mac mini (late 2013): Slight spec upgrade late 2013.


Software
  • iOS 7: Apps streamlined and slightly redisgned. No radical overhaul, though new functions added. Still no widgets, live icons,
  • OS X 10.9 Lynx: Apple Maps, Siri on newer Macs, other minor iOS features/tweaks. Same price as Mountain Lion, released during WWDC.
  • iWork/iLife: Dropping of '09 version numbers (if that hasn't alredy happened), updates released via Mac App Store. More templates, 64bit.
  • Pro apps: No major updates, small bug fixes/tweaks throughout the year.
__________________
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 5 | iPod shuffle | iPad Air | Apple TV
cambookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:56 PM   #17
tech4all
macrumors 68030
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
Mac Pro: Totally redesigned. Stackable, smaller. Very powerful.
Wouldn't that just be an Xserve? While I'm all for a Mac Pro redesign, what would be the reason to make them stackable unless you were to use them as servers/storage? It would essentially be an Xserve.
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:22 PM   #18
leekohler
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro65 View Post
MacPro gets discontinued. The move is justified by Apple management who will state that soon enough an iPad 7 will offer roughly the level level of performance as current MacPro.

Or maybe not?
The Mac Pro is dead. As a longtime tower user, the rMBP finally got me out of that game. Apple surprised me with the rMBP- did not see that coming, brilliant machine. For most pro users, the rMBP killed the tower, and I'm OK with that.

I was about to walk away from Apple as a professional user. Well, as always, they had something up their sleeve. They always look to the future.

I used to be a desktop/laptop guy, now I get both in one computer. Bravo, Apple.

Last edited by leekohler; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:46 PM   #19
Jaro65
macrumors 68040
 
Jaro65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
The Mac Pro is dead. As a longtime tower user, the rMBP finally got me out of that game. Apple surprised me with the rMBP- did not see that coming, brilliant machine. For most pro users, the rMBP killed the tower, and I'm OK with that.

I was about to walk away from Apple as a professional user. Well, as always, they had something up their sleeve. They always look to the future.

I used to be a desktop/laptop guy, now I get both in one computer. Bravo, Apple.
I also enjoy my rMBP, which is more than powerful enough for my use. However, I don't know if the guys who do have media development work would also find the machine on par with a MacPro.
__________________
rMBP | MBP | MBA | ACD | iPad | iPhone | ATV | iPods | Senn HD 650
Jaro65 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:50 PM   #20
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
The Mac Pro is dead. As a longtime tower user, the rMBP finally got me out of that game. Apple surprised me with the rMBP- did not see that coming, brilliant machine. For most pro users, the rMBP killed the tower, and I'm OK with that.

I was about to walk away from Apple as a professional user. Well, as always, they had something up their sleeve. They always look to the future.

I used to be a desktop/laptop guy, now I get both in one computer. Bravo, Apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro65 View Post
I also enjoy my rMBP, which is more than powerful enough for my use. However, I don't know if the guys who do have media development work would also find the machine on par with a MacPro.

Right now I've got 3 external hard drives daisy chained via TB on my cMBP sitting on a stand on my desk.

I would love to replace all that real estate and clutter for a tower sitting on the floor under my desk.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:29 AM   #21
chown33
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Right now I've got 3 external hard drives daisy chained via TB on my cMBP sitting on a stand on my desk.

I would love to replace all that real estate and clutter for a tower sitting on the floor under my desk.
I think IKEA sells small shelf-units that ride on casters and will easily fit under desks. It doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult to put one HD on each shelf, and connect the TB cable to them while they sit under the desk.

My desk has a full-width shelf unit that sits about a foot below the main work surface. It's about a foot deep, and the back edge aligns with the back of the work surface, so it's not in the way of my lefs. I used to keep several SCSI disk drives there, but now it's so easy to get huge amounts of storage in much smaller spaces, that I only use that shelf to store infrequently used reference manuals. My feet aren't as warm, but the room is quieter.

A friend of mine keeps a PC tower cabinet with all his disks under his desk. Seems ordinary except it's just a tower cabinet with disks; there's no PC in it at all.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:19 AM   #22
leekohler
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro65 View Post
I also enjoy my rMBP, which is more than powerful enough for my use. However, I don't know if the guys who do have media development work would also find the machine on par with a MacPro.
I edit video and compared the rMBP to a Mac Pro with similar specs in store using the same video file. rMBP beat the pants off it. There was simply no comparison.
leekohler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:41 AM   #23
twietee
macrumors 68020
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
I edit video and compared the rMBP to a Mac Pro with similar specs in store using the same video file. rMBP beat the pants off it. There was simply no comparison.

But in reality, would you choose a real workstation to edit, render and whatnot day in day out, sometimes the whole night long, over a laptop? Can't really believe someone would take the laptop tbh.

Last edited by twietee; Jan 8, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:16 AM   #24
leekohler
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
But in reality, would you choose a real workstation to edit, render and whatnot day in day out, sometimes the whole night long, over a laptop? Can't really believe someone would take the laptop tbh.
Depends on the setup. Let's face it- most companies are not going to set you up with a 12 core Mac Pro with 32 gigs of RAM (and I can't afford that either).

When I compared the two next to each other with similar specs, the rMBP won. You don't have to take my word for it. Go try it out.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:42 AM   #25
twietee
macrumors 68020
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
When I compared the two next to each other with similar specs, the rMBP won. You don't have to take my word for it. Go try it out.
Given the fact that the current setup is what, almost 4yo I don't question your experience at all - but am unsure what you mean with similar specs. 4-core and xGB of ram? Because about everything inside the rMBP is new technology compared to the MP.

I was just curious, since I had exactly the same thought as you, and will most likely get the next revision rMBP (and have a real good look at the MP section as well). But honestly, I'd be afraid of hardware failures due to heat dissipation doing heavy work on such a thin machine over a constant period of time. Especially if it would be the only machine I could work on.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC