Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
I have tried many times in the past to get wine working on a ppc mac and have failed every time. If anybody has had a success with it could they share there success stories and how they did it? A tutorial would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You need an Intel processor to run Wine. Or an emulator.

:confused:

PowerPC Mac
In 2002, the OpenDarwin people created the Darwine project to integrate the processor-emulator QEMU with a Mac OS-compatible version of Wine in order to run Win32 EXEs on PowerPC. The group succeeded in porting Wine from ELF to Mach-0. Integration of the x86 emulator was not worth the trouble of byteswapping (big endian <-> little endian), which was too much work.
Qemu-Darwin-user allows Mac OS X/Intel Applications to run on Mac OS X/PowerPC. It's conceptually similar to doing the opposite of Rosetta and was therefore referred to as "Attesor".

Edit: I should read better, you said Or an emulator.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
So you are saying its possible? Would it work just like clicking an application on your osx desktop? Is there an app that isnt a full emulator but just a library and cpu emulator to open x86 apps?

Even if you get it to work it is fairly useless, look at Virtual PC, slow as molasses.
Get a cheap PC instead.:p

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
http://darwine.sourceforge.net/
As i recall i used this and couldnt get it working.

----------

Even if you get it to work it is fairly useless, look at Virtual PC, slow as molasses.
Get a cheap PC instead.:p

I have a gaming pc, i just want this for fun. It would just be cool to have you know?

----------

On the site i just linked said this, "This is distinguished from simply using QEMU to run Windows because there is no Windows here. Just WINE and QEMU to run Windows applications directly under X. That will enable vastly better performance, better integration, and easier administration." So it shouldn't be as slow as normal emulation.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
http://darwine.sourceforge.net/
As i recall i used this and couldnt get it working.

----------

I have a gaming pc, i just want this for fun. It would just be cool to have you know?

----------

On the site i just linked said this, "This is distinguished from simply using QEMU to run Windows because there is no Windows here. Just WINE and QEMU to run Windows applications directly under X. That will enable vastly better performance, better integration, and easier administration." So it shouldn't be as slow as normal emulation.

Not much to see there.

I am almost sure I tried this many years ago, can't really remember if it worked, if it did I would most probably still have it.

Edit: Downloading it now, see what it does.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Ok, im just gonna try it one more time just for peace of mind. Thanks

Downloaded but I think I have font problems, My X11 also is not 100% I think and if I click one included App it shows me a link to download freetype from:

http://www.freetype.org/

But, no OS X version of this????

Edit: Log Output:

Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
Building font metrics. This may take some time...

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
That would be awesome if you could.

I just did, the download and complile went OK, but now I get this:

Font metrics: 100.0% done
err:advpack:create_tmp_ini_file Unable to create temp ini file
Failed to open the service control manager.
err:advpack:create_tmp_ini_file Unable to create temp ini file
wine: Unhandled alignment at address 0x0 (thread 0009), starting debugger...

It might be my X11, I really have to try to reinstall.

Now you should download this: Download freetype-2.4.11.tar.bz2 (1.5 MB)

Then untar, just double click, it untars, you then get a folder.

Next step, open terminal and type:

cd and drag the folder to it and hit enter.
Then drag the configure into terminal and hit enter, it starts to config, may take a while.

Next i finished type : make
If finished type : make install

Now try to use Darwine again, does it work for you?

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
I cant test it tonight but tomorrow i will, i shut everything down for the night. Ill get back to you tomorrow afternoon after i try it. Btw what os and processor are you using? Night

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I cant test it tonight but tomorrow i will, i shut everything down for the night. Ill get back to you tomorrow afternoon after i try it. Btw what os and processor are you using? Night

Powerbook G4 1.67 10.5.8

I have a screenshot below, it does not work yet, although the extra freeType worked.

OK, see ya later.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 92

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Powerbook G4 1.67 10.5.8

I have a screenshot below, it does not work yet, although the extra freeType worked.

OK, see ya later.

I finally got a chance to test it out, heres what I got.

DarwineError1_zps626f143a.png

then once I press either button I get this...

DarwineError2_zps7a8a2849.png

In the log I get errors in the beginning and end of the freetype font check percentage thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.