Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:53 PM   #76
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

IMHO....and I'm sort of a watch fanatic/collector.

I prefer to wear Citizen watches simply because I can't yet afford the Submariner I've always lusted after. I currently wear an Eco-Drive Titanium Aqualand.....considering a Navihawk if I could get a Stars & Stripes Titanium.

As far as technology watches go.....No. This Cookoo is ugly....like an old Casio G Shock. Plus, it's way limited, sorta silly just beeping and flashing symbols reminding you to look at another device....so for me...no. I got more usability out of my Casio keypad watch from the early 90's. (remember those?)

I can't understand why Apple has overlooked an obvious tech product....with the 6g nano. I have a watchband for mine and wear it like a watch. It has my iTunes library (16Gb model), Nike+ Fitness, clock face, pictures, Radio, Podcasts....all in a nifty touchscreen. The only real drawback is battery life...you have to remember to dock it every day or two....BUT...the possibilities for this device are endless. Imagine all the mini-apps that could be developed and loaded to it...managed by iTunes like the iPhone....BT the Nano to the iPhone and whatever....WAY more capable than this Cuckoo watch. Alas...seems they've let that one slip away.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:06 PM   #77
Singin Hobo
macrumors regular

I just wish it was bigger.
Singin Hobo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:08 PM   #78
leftywamumonkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialX View Post
Does that mean Project Glass will be the smart watch killer?
I'm going to predict that it's going to turn out like those Flip video cameras.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:11 PM   #79
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

I think the functionality is way to limited - I would want to view songs playing - have the ability to change songs as well. I think they are just jumping on the smart watch bandwagon to capitalise without engineering a decent product. It will be interesting to see if the rumoured Apple watch pans out
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:22 PM   #80
apolloa
macrumors 601

I wonder how many people on here saying they don't get this watch or it's rubbish would rush out and queue up day one to buy an Apple iWatch?

This is a cool understated smart watch that you can actually buy, it is also better then the Pebble as it has a user replaceable battery so you don't have to recharge it every week. And it is a lot cheaper then the Citizen smart watch.
I have missed my phone ringing many a time and that is when this type of watch is useful. Not saying I would buy one though..
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:52 PM   #81
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

There seem to be all sorts of BT Smart devices coming out at CES 2013.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products...Rate-Strap.asp is an iPhone-compatible heart rate monitor strap. The old Polar straps used AM radio; this is quite an upgrade.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:07 PM   #82
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post
because that's so hard to do.
Yes because when I ride my bike it is pretty damn hard! So a simple look over my watch i can see who is calling and pull over at a gas station!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecurryman View Post
Its a smart, cool, and new innovative idea to be more connected to our phones...to bad at $127 it prices itself out of many consumers wallets....
Why is that? Do you buy $15 casio watch or fossil bro? $127 is pretty damn cheap for a watch! I guess you never heard of movado, rolex, rado etc.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:34 PM   #83
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
But if I'm getting a call or message, my phone is either ringing, or vibrating. If I receive a FaceBook message, my phone receives a push notification and dings. And all my devices are already synced to my calendars, so I get notifications through the computer, iPhone and iPad already.

I'm not opposed to it, I just don't understand why I'd want to buy one of these.
There are a lot of social setting that it is impolite to check your phone (e.g. a business meeting, a date with your hot girlfriend/wife. Worse dinner with her parent 8-)) I guess as time go on, the notification can get more complicated. e.g a stock hit your price target.. And mostly it is a pretty cool toy for $127.. it will be the talk of the party you go to..So it will sell a lot..
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:21 PM   #84
genovelle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
This is entirely too much jewelry for grandpa!!
How did I miss that?!!
genovelle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:25 PM   #85
eRondeau
macrumors 6502a

My ten-year-old nephew wouldn't be caught dead wearing this thing. I haven't worn a watch since I bought a cell phone and I'm not going to start wearing one now. This would have been very cool in 1983. In 2013 not so much. Next.
eRondeau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:37 PM   #86
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
Why is that? Do you buy $15 casio watch or fossil bro? $127 is pretty damn cheap for a watch! I guess you never heard of movado, rolex, rado etc.
Seems to me if you're the type to spend $300+ on a "real" watch, you wouldn't be caught dead wearing one of these... and that pretty much leaves everybody else, most of whom would be quite content with a $20 Casio from Walmart. It tells the time, what more do you want? For them, this might be a tough sell.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:47 PM   #87
goatless
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderBite View Post
The primary function is a pc way of checking for email, SMS, calls, etc. without pulling out your phone in a scenario where it might seem rude or inappropriate. A date, during a meeting, etc.
BOOM! There's the market: The Playa'!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
I wonder how many people on here saying they don't get this watch or it's rubbish would rush out and queue up day one to buy an Apple iWatch?
Don't tease me!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
The alarm being synced with your calendar and the watch warning you that you forgot your iPhone seemed pretty cool. I don't really care for the watches design though.
I wonder if the iPhone will remind you that you forgot your watch?
goatless is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:28 PM   #88
Supa_Fly
macrumors 68030

Send a message via MSN to Supa_Fly
Sony SmartWatch ...

does all of this and much more - without the bulk! Battery time doesn't compare but its because of a full colour screen on SmartWatch. Sony leads in the smart connected watch space - formerly SonyEricsson ... they've been doing this since 2004 and have steadily improved.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderBite View Post
The primary function is a pc way of checking for email, SMS, calls, etc. without pulling out your phone in a scenario where it might seem rude or inappropriate. A date, during a meeting, etc.
If I could find the 2006 ad from SonyEricsson's Bluetooth watch of old showing just how a call from another date during dinner with another woman and then reading a text and auto replying ... I'd post it.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:39 PM   #89
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
So you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket, I assume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post
because that's so hard to do.
You guys really have your phone on your person 24/7? Wow...that's dilligence.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedBookPro View Post
Good idea, but the watch is so chunky. Way too chunky.

The woman in the first segment of the video looks like she's wearing a lump of brick on her wrist.

I'd love to see a nice looking watch with this functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcard View Post
Needs to be slimmed down - much too thick.
Yeah, my first reaction as well.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticmedia View Post
I know everybody is doing the pile-on here, but there are some things that would be very cool. The find my phone button is great. While I keep my phone in my pocket, many women don't because pants manufacturers have decided that women don't need pockets and pants don't come with them. Often women keep phones in purses and when they are on silent, they don't get the calls.
This has frustrated me more than once when contacting female friends. Next time I start dating, I'm buying my girlfriend one of these. (J/K...if I did and she knew why she may not stay my gf for long.)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRondeau View Post
My ten-year-old nephew wouldn't be caught dead wearing this thing. I haven't worn a watch since I bought a cell phone and I'm not going to start wearing one now. This would have been very cool in 1983. In 2013 not so much. Next.
LOL....are you a teenager? Adults still wear watches.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:43 PM   #90
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticmedia View Post
I know everybody is doing the pile-on here, but there are some things that would be very cool. The find my phone button is great. While I keep my phone in my pocket, many women don't because pants manufacturers have decided that women don't need pockets and pants don't come with them. Often women keep phones in purses and when they are on silent, they don't get the calls.
umm interesting, never saw women pants that did not have at least one pocket. Will have to look closer. I do find it funny most young females put their phones in the back jeans pocket. I don't understand why though, they don't want the bulk on the leg, but yes in their ass?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:05 AM   #91
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
You guys really have your phone on your person 24/7? Wow...that's dilligence.

----------

Yeah, my first reaction as well.

----------

This has frustrated me more than once when contacting female friends. Next time I start dating, I'm buying my girlfriend one of these. (J/K...if I did and she knew why she may not stay my gf for long.)

----------

LOL....are you a teenager? Adults still wear watches.
Who doesn't have their phone within a few feet of them? I mean, most phones today are communications hubs. The phone portion is taking a back seat to internet, email, texting, twitter and all that. Only time I make a phone call is when I can't convey something via text or I'm driving.

Watches are more of an accessory now. Most are over priced, made in China wrist bands. This watch just moves features to your wrist and not much else. Whereas most people have the phone right there next to them or in their hands. Doesn't seem very useful.

Though I do get it. For those that still use watches, this is a cool device that has ADDITIONAL features that work with your phone/device.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:33 AM   #92
liavman
macrumors 6502

Does someone make a small camera remote? That is one feature that is cool and useful about this watch. I will pay $9.99 for such a single purpose thing.
liavman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:39 AM   #93
Dizzy Slip
macrumors newbie

But I like my iPhone...

So the watch does everything that I do with my iPhone so I don't have to carry my iPhone?

But I LIKE my iPhone.

The watch seems like a buffer or a second layer of digital usage to remind me of things that I do on my iPhone all the time. I carry my iPhone with me everywhere. When I go out, I've always got my iPhone with me. So I can now leave my iPhone in my pocket when I do things because I've got this thing on my wrist that reminds me that there are things to do with my iPhone that's in my pocket and takes less than 1 second to pull out?

Just seems sort of useless. iPhone is with me 24-7. I don't need a watch to remind me that there are things to-do on my iPhone.
Dizzy Slip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:47 AM   #94
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

I think there is a market for this actually. The features, though, are a mixed bag on this particular one.

Not sure why they showed so much smartphone in this video. As soon as you see the phone the first thought is... why would I need this watch?

I like the idea of it being a companion to your smartphone but it would need a broader set of innovative features to really draw consumers in.

The design isn't bad but could use a couple adjustments too imo.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:51 AM   #95
apple.net
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
But if I'm getting a call or message, my phone is either ringing, or vibrating. If I receive a FaceBook message, my phone receives a push notification and dings. And all my devices are already synced to my calendars, so I get notifications through the computer, iPhone and iPad already.

I'm not opposed to it, I just don't understand why I'd want to buy one of these.
It's useful for women as they put their phone in purse when they are shopping and always miss the calls.
apple.net is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:54 AM   #96
thetacoman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post
Or do these people not understand watches? First off the thing looks humongous, like something is attacking your wrist. And what is with the hideous plastic bands. I'm old fashioned, I think colored watchbands are for children. The Citizen one is nice, but it costs more than a phone!

I love the concept of these watches. Being able to connect to your phone, so you don't have to remove it from your pocket. Living in Chicago, sometimes you really want to keep your hands free, especially on public transportation. And while Siri will tell you the time, it is still is awkward to talk to your phone at times. So a watch is often a good call. But I don't want something big as a Flava' Flav, clock on my wrist.
I agree that the whole "my watch has to be bigger than yours" trend is pretty ridiculous. I also agree that a Bluetooth watch would be pretty useful..

Yet, I'm not convinced. I'm a college student in my early 20s who wears a watch every day, and I'm a small minority in that regard. Also, even though $130 is fairly inexpensive for a watch, would Generation Y-ers (I assume that the young, "hip" crowd is their market) be willing to shell out even that amount for a watch that–to be honest–looks REALLY cheap? And would older people buy this sort of thing? I don't see the market.
thetacoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:14 AM   #97
seong
macrumors 6502a

It feels like one of those days when people started saying 'It's convenient, but it's just a waste of money. I don't understand why would anyone use this device.' for the initial launch of iPad XD
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:10 AM   #98
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

I am going with the sceptic route on this one.

These types smart watches are about 10 years too late.

The notion of having a geek watch that will tell you that you have recieved an SMS when youre iphone is in your pocket is redicioulus. Watch wearers today pick watches that matches their style as a fashion accessory more than anything.

A few geeks will pick one up for the novelty factor but it wont make it on the broader market.
lamerica80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:16 AM   #99
hugodrax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecurryman View Post
Its a smart, cool, and new innovative idea to be more connected to our phones...to bad at $127 it prices itself out of many consumers wallets....
The people paying 100 bucks a month for phone service?
hugodrax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:20 AM   #100
IconicM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seong View Post
It feels like one of those days when people started saying 'It's convenient, but it's just a waste of money. I don't understand why would anyone use this device.' for the initial launch of iPad XD
Exactly what I was thinking.

I'm firmly in the "like it" camp. The name is dumb, but only slightly more so than iWhatever. I do like the watch, and for me, I don't wear my phone all the time, especially in my loud vehicles. So this would help me miss less calls.

Now I have to get the black cookoo with blue ilum and a tripod mount for my iPhone.
IconicM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion