Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:05 AM   #126
someoldguy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: usa
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcortese View Post
Ah, Good ol' Ben was always one of my favorites! Now, if you could find a stack of Grants!!
Sure!! Here ya go .... What we REALLY need is a stack of Clevelands

someoldguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:08 AM   #127
danniexi
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012

christmas tree at rockefeller by danniexi, on Flickr

Canon 6D w. 24-70mm f/2.8L

comments/criticisms much appreciated.
__________________
27" iMac 2010 | 2.8 GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 1TB HD
13" MBA 2011 | 1.7 GHz i5 | 4GB RAM | 128GB SSD
iPad Air White | 128GB | WIFI
iPhone 6+ Silver | 64GB | ATT
danniexi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:25 AM   #128
zagato27
macrumors 6502a
 
zagato27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Hill
Send a message via AIM to zagato27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylem View Post
If the original pic is "bland", is there any button worth pressing in PP other than 'delete'?
^^ so simple, so direct, so true. thanks for the chuckle D.
__________________
“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.”-Mark Twain
zagato27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:31 AM   #129
DirtySocks85
macrumors Demi-God
 
DirtySocks85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wichita, KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohn.8.80 View Post
Salacious, when I saw the thumbnail for this I thought I understood your shot because of the businessman sitting in the left foreground. Then I viewed the enlargement and got confused, the only people in focus are way back on the right and one of them is with her back to us.

Who is the businessman?

I will point out that I don't have a degree in fine arts or analysing photo's, so I could well have missed the point.
I took the man in the back on the right to be the subject. The line of everyone else's heads/bodies leads us to him, he's in focus, he's facing us. If that's the case, I wonder if a crop that took out the people on the left side of the frame would reinforce that (of course I'm still making assumptions on what Salacious intended here).
__________________
13"MacBook Pro (mid 2010) iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate iPod Classic 80GB
• Canon EOS Rebel T3i • Nexus 7
JStiles Photography Website JStiles Photography on Facebook
DirtySocks85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:06 PM   #130
Doylem
macrumors 68040
 
Doylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wherever I hang my hat...
Hazy light at School Knott Tarn...

Doylem is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:32 PM   #131
BarryJ
macrumors 6502a
 
BarryJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Upper Mowatt, ON

__________________
27" iMac i7 2.93 Ghz 24GB RAM.
Sony DSC F717, Nikon D700, lens
BarryJ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:07 PM   #132
TheDrift-
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Mine, from the Lincolnshire wolds Saturday Night


Lincolnshire Wolds Sunset by Shaun Wilkinson Photography, on Flickr
__________________
www.shaunw.com
TheDrift- is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:39 PM   #133
MyRomeo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicChronicler View Post
Something really old to see in the New Year.

I went to see the ancient Stone Circle a Duddo and the rock carvings at Routing Linn in Northumberland today. Got to Routing Linn as night was falling.
Image
I love this shot! Can you tell me a bit more about it? I've grown up just south of Newcastle and had no idea this existed! I simply must visit it!
MyRomeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:43 PM   #134
rjmCreative
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylem View Post
If the original pic is "bland", is there any button worth pressing in PP other than 'delete'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJ View Post
This made me laugh. In fact I'm still chuckling. I've "been there" in that PP phase. Haven't we all?

I thought this was photo of the day not laugh of the day...

BJ
And I thought this was a friendly forum worth joining to gain some insight on photography and not the attention of nonconstructive critics. Sorry for I allowed my hopes to get so high in hope of someone giving me a pointer or tip in a more respectful way. Everyone has to start somewhere.
__________________
2013 Macbook Air 13" | i7 | 3.3Ghz | 128GB Flash | 8GB RAM
2013 iMac 27" | i7 | 3.4Ghz | 1TB Fusion | 8GB RAM | 680MX
iPhone 5

Last edited by rjmCreative; Jan 6, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
rjmCreative is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:44 PM   #135
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816
 
ijohn.8.80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySocks85 View Post
I took the man in the back on the right to be the subject. The line of everyone else's heads/bodies leads us to him, he's in focus, he's facing us. If that's the case, I wonder if a crop that took out the people on the left side of the frame would reinforce that (of course I'm still making assumptions on what Salacious intended here).
To me he's an office worker, not a businessman. He's wearing a v-neck jumper, not a suit. I guess that's where I got stuck! I guess titles can be misleading or confusing at times.

I was interested in what he was doing, was he speaking to a friend, was he accosted by a street walker, what was going on there? So that element worked.
__________________
YouTube is not the resurrection of Dada
ijohn.8.80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:52 PM   #136
Keleko
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
This is more deliberate nice light. It was near sunset when I saw these birds on the tree of life at Animal Kingdom, and the tree made a nice background in that light.

Keleko is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:10 PM   #137
BarryJ
macrumors 6502a
 
BarryJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
No way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmCreative View Post
Are you guys making fun of me? I never delete anything that I shoot. I keep every photo I take. All I did was try to make some colors and other elements stick out more...

All I am trying to do is share some photography and not be criticized for using PP. I thought the unique capture of the Sun was worth keeping. Sorry for trying.
No, Im not making fun of you. Never would. For me POTD allows me to post captures in which I take pleasure, not because my shots are especially great. If you have a photo, and YOU like it, then share it, post it; BUT be ready for what comes. Some of us will offer C&C, others, like me, not so much. I guess was I was chuckling about was Doylem's dry wit. It did make me laugh... but it's only his 2 cents. As he would likely say, take it for what it's worth.
Personally I take away a lot from this thread. I like to see what others are doing and how they do it and then try to incorporate their techniques into my own stuff. Don't delete your shots.... keep on truckin' and enjoy. Remember everyone has an opinion. If I offended in any way, I do apologize.

BJ

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrift- View Post
Mine, from the Lincolnshire wolds Saturday Night

Thumb resize.
Lincolnshire Wolds Sunset by Shaun Wilkinson Photography, on Flickr
I like this... looks like minor HDR treatment... but looking at it, its seems such a serene and quite spot. Nice photo. And what's a wold ?

BJ
__________________
27" iMac i7 2.93 Ghz 24GB RAM.
Sony DSC F717, Nikon D700, lens
BarryJ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:06 PM   #138
genshi
macrumors 6502a
 
genshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Another test shot from my new Belair 6x12 medium format film camera...

Thumb resize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acearchie View Post
I saw this camera and was interested but I didn't want the side effects of shooting "lomo". How do you find the sharpness, from your web images it looks really nice!
Thanks! It's not as "Lomo" as you might think; there are no light leaks or anything like you would find on a $30 Holga, and though it [Belair X 6-12] too has a plastic lens, it is a much higher quality plastic lens, plus you get two of them (58mm and 90mm) as well as an adjustable ISO and Auto-Exposure... so not that lomo.

As for sharpness, considering that plastic lenses are being used, it's not as bad as I had thought it would be. The 58mm I used at f8 is supposed to be the worst in terms of sharpness (which you can see on the edges) so I am going to try the 90mm at f16 next (they are about to release two Russian-made glass lenses for this camera as well.) And really, you can't go wrong with a $200 medium format camera that comes with two lenses, has auto-exposure and can shoot in 6x6, 6x9 and 6x12 formats! I bought it specifically for the 6x12 format, but my main film camera is the Fujifilm GF670 Medium Format Rangefinder (6x6 and 6x7) which is what I use if I want higher quality, sharp photos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acearchie View Post
Curious to know what you think of my shot today.

I was shooting indoors and had to ramp the ISO to 1600 and compete with strong highlights from a window and I attempted to "fix" it all in post. I know quite a few members are opposed to this but I used it as more of an experiment anyway. I hope Doylem doesn't rip me to shreds!

So, if you can point out some of the flaws to the photo I would be very grateful. Just to say I was fully against the back wall so I couldn't get any further back and tighter but I should have tried standing on something to get rid of the bed post!

Thumb resize.
There is nothing wrong with fixing things in post as long as you try to get the best possible image in-camera first. I would be curious to see how dark the room was initially instead of trying to make it so bright. There is no contrast with anything in the room so it just seems all too white. You need shadows, contrast. But not bad otherwise...

The only thing that really bothers me though, is the model looking directly into the camera; as if she is annoyed that you are taking her photo yet again. Sometimes looking directly into the camera works, but in this case I don't think it did... Maybe have your model look off camera a bit like in these photos -


(FAIR USE NOTICE: the two photos directly above are not mine; they are only being shown here for illustrative/educational purposes.)
genshi is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:14 PM   #139
gaswerks
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
mmmmm, beer ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	388415  
__________________
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
gaswerks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:54 PM   #140
DirtySocks85
macrumors Demi-God
 
DirtySocks85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wichita, KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohn.8.80 View Post
To me he's an office worker, not a businessman. He's wearing a v-neck jumper, not a suit. I guess that's where I got stuck! I guess titles can be misleading or confusing at times.

I was interested in what he was doing, was he speaking to a friend, was he accosted by a street walker, what was going on there? So that element worked.
Upon looking at it again, I'd have to agree that the man on the bench fits the title better, but I think I personally find myself more interested in the man in the background and would love to see a crop that just has the crowd of turned backs leading to him. Would make for quite the composition.
__________________
13"MacBook Pro (mid 2010) iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate iPod Classic 80GB
• Canon EOS Rebel T3i • Nexus 7
JStiles Photography Website JStiles Photography on Facebook
DirtySocks85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:38 PM   #141
Doylem
macrumors 68040
 
Doylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wherever I hang my hat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmCreative View Post
And I thought this was a friendly forum worth joining to gain some insight on photography and not the attention of nonconstructive critics. Sorry for I allowed my hopes to get so high in hope of someone giving me a pointer or tip in a more respectful way. Everyone has to start somewhere.
You've already had a bit of good advice. If you start PP with a "bland" pic (your description, not mine...), you will be looking for ways to give it a bit of visual "oomph". Y'know, move a few sliders left or right, add some colour, make it "pop", etc.

Or... you can start PP with the best pic in a series, when the necessary adjustments will be minimal.

Self-editing is an important part of the learning curve. If you're keeping everything... then you either have an enviable strike-rate, or you're not being critical enough.
Doylem is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:47 PM   #142
Fractureman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Miami, Fl
Blue Butterfly


IMG_1771 by fractureman1, on Flickr
Fractureman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:59 PM   #143
rjmCreative
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylem View Post
You've already had a bit of good advice. If you start PP with a "bland" pic (your description, not mine...), you will be looking for ways to give it a bit of visual "oomph". Y'know, move a few sliders left or right, add some colour, make it "pop", etc.

Or... you can start PP with the best pic in a series, when the necessary adjustments will be minimal.

Self-editing is an important part of the learning curve. If you're keeping everything... then you either have an enviable strike-rate, or you're not being critical enough.
I don't necessarily keep everything in the same location. While I may archive the originals, I'll use a hierarchy folder system to aid in organizing projects. You're people skills through text must be lacking because you came and are coming off somewhat jagged. By bland I meant that there wasn't much of an absolute focus other than the landscape itself (which consisted of A LOT of white).

I didn't do a lot of PP which with your experience can probably already see that.

I'm always tweaking with my camera settings during, before, and after anytime I shoot. Thanks for the "tips", before this reply your sarcasm or whatever it was, was not picked up.

rj
__________________
2013 Macbook Air 13" | i7 | 3.3Ghz | 128GB Flash | 8GB RAM
2013 iMac 27" | i7 | 3.4Ghz | 1TB Fusion | 8GB RAM | 680MX
iPhone 5
rjmCreative is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:03 PM   #144
streetskooler
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Seaside Heights, NJ January 5, 2013

Just got a Canon t3i for Christmas and this was my first trip out with it m
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	388474  

Last edited by streetskooler; Jan 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM.
streetskooler is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:15 PM   #145
avro707
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010

(Click for larger)

That was impeccable timing to capture that on photo.
__________________
Website
Mac Pro 5,1 | iMac | iPhone 5 64gb | Nikon D800e | Nikon D3s
avro707 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:40 PM   #146
DirtySocks85
macrumors Demi-God
 
DirtySocks85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wichita, KS

Lucas by SnickerSnackClick, on Flickr
__________________
13"MacBook Pro (mid 2010) iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate iPod Classic 80GB
• Canon EOS Rebel T3i • Nexus 7
JStiles Photography Website JStiles Photography on Facebook
DirtySocks85 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:52 AM   #147
fitshaced
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylem View Post
You've already had a bit of good advice. If you start PP with a "bland" pic (your description, not mine...), you will be looking for ways to give it a bit of visual "oomph". Y'know, move a few sliders left or right, add some colour, make it "pop", etc.

Or... you can start PP with the best pic in a series, when the necessary adjustments will be minimal.

Self-editing is an important part of the learning curve. If you're keeping everything... then you either have an enviable strike-rate, or you're not being critical enough.
I think there's nicer ways to deliver the message.
__________________
Lots of stuff.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsbykev/
fitshaced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:41 AM   #148
TheDrift-
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJ View Post
----------

[/COLOR]

I like this... looks like minor HDR treatment... but looking at it, its seems such a serene and quite spot. Nice photo. And what's a wold ?

BJ
Thanks the wiki definition is:
The Wolds, a term used in England to describe a range of hills consisting of open country overlying limestone or chalk (see Wood, Wald).... They pretty much go ignored by most people, in favour of places like the lake & peak district.
__________________
www.shaunw.com
TheDrift- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:59 AM   #149
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816
 
ijohn.8.80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySocks85 View Post
Thumb resize.
Lucas by SnickerSnackClick, on Flickr
DirtySocks85, what sort of cat is Lucas? He has the most amazing markings.
__________________
YouTube is not the resurrection of Dada
ijohn.8.80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:54 AM   #150
acearchie
macrumors 68040
 
acearchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
As for sharpness, considering that plastic lenses are being used, it's not as bad as I had thought it would be. The 58mm I used at f8 is supposed to be the worst in terms of sharpness (which you can see on the edges) so I am going to try the 90mm at f16 next (they are about to release two Russian-made glass lenses for this camera as well.) And really, you can't go wrong with a $200 medium format camera that comes with two lenses, has auto-exposure and can shoot in 6x6, 6x9 and 6x12 formats! I bought it specifically for the 6x12 format, but my main film camera is the Fujifilm GF670 Medium Format Rangefinder (6x6 and 6x7) which is what I use if I want higher quality, sharp photos...
I think it was the plastic lens that put me off but there is something magical about the 6x12 exposure. Must look great when you develop your negs.

Think we might have crossed paths before when you posted a picture of someone raking leaves? If not it's the same camera that was used for that!

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with fixing things in post as long as you try to get the best possible image in-camera first. I would be curious to see how dark the room was initially instead of trying to make it so bright. There is no contrast with anything in the room so it just seems all too white. You need shadows, contrast. But not bad otherwise...

The only thing that really bothers me though, is the model looking directly into the camera; as if she is annoyed that you are taking her photo yet again. Sometimes looking directly into the camera works, but in this case I don't think it did... Maybe have your model look off camera a bit like in these photos -

Thumb resize. Thumb resize.
(FAIR USE NOTICE: the two photos directly above are not mine; they are only being shown here for illustrative/educational purposes.)
Thanks for the feedback. Very useful. I need to attempt to get more contrast into my shots and I aim to get some more planned shots under my belt this year rather than just relying on snapshots.

I think the issue with the light in the room was that there were two skylights off camera left and the one main window blasting light in. All the walls were white so it all jumps around leaving the room looking very flat.

I am aiming to sculpt my own light more now and my photo of the day are my new toys that I picked up for an absolute steal. Next goal is to sell my 600d and 17-55mm + 11-16mm and go FF!


New Toys by acearchie, on Flickr
acearchie is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photo of the day : January 2014 Alexander.Of.Oz Digital Photography 480 Feb 4, 2014 08:16 AM
Photo of the day: August 2013 oblomow Digital Photography 470 Oct 10, 2013 01:38 PM
Photo of the day: September 2013 MacRy Digital Photography 476 Oct 1, 2013 07:09 AM
Photo of the Day: June 2013 AT06 Digital Photography 297 Jun 30, 2013 07:23 PM
Photo of the Day: May 2013 AT06 Digital Photography 444 Jun 4, 2013 05:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC