Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truss009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Quick question.. I just picked up my new iPhone5 last week, but when I got home it wouldn't let me connect to the wifi at our appartment. Why is this? Anyone else have this issue? It will let me choose all the other WiFi networks around, but when I click ours, it just says unable to connect to network. It doesn't even give me the option to put in the passcode.

Thanks for any help guys!

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
Which software version is it running? If not 6.0.2 try updating in the first instance, since this fixed the wi-fi issues on iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

truss009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Update: Just tried updating to 6.02, it was successful but the wifi didn't change. And, now all my apps and stuff were wiped :mad:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Have you rebooted your router? Unplug the power supply, wait a few minutes. On iphone, go into settings, Reset, and then reset network settings. Then power router back up and reconnect. Also make sure before you start to check for any updates for your router. Can you connect to other wifi routers? If you can, it's your router.

truss009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Have you rebooted your router? Unplug the power supply, wait a few minutes. On iphone, go into settings, Reset, and then reset network settings. Then power router back up and reconnect. Also make sure before you start to check for any updates for your router. Can you connect to other wifi routers? If you can, it's your router.

I believe the router is fine, as my computer is connected to the WiFi now.

wxman: Thanks! Rest network settings on the phone after resetting the router and it let me connect. Is this a common issue happening with all iPhone 5's or just with the latest software update? Talk about a pain is the butt!

Last edited:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I believe the router is fine, as my computer is connected to the WiFi now.

wxman: Thanks! Rest network settings on the phone after resetting the router and it let me connect. Is this a common issue happening with all iPhone 5's or just with the latest software update? Talk about a pain is the butt!

Sometimes when you reset the router, it applies firmware updates for the router. And then resetting network settings on iphone clears out all info for that router. I usually reboot my router every few months, just to keep in running smoothly.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Depends on the age of the router too. How often the firmware is updated, etc. A reboot of the router may in fact apply a firmware update that plays nice with the iphone 5.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Depends on the age of the router too. How often the firmware is updated, etc. A reboot of the router may in fact apply a firmware update that plays nice with the iphone 5.

I dont think you get it.
Its not a router issue or that the router needs an update.
My phone does the same in 4-5 different routers in both open and password protected wifi's. Brand new routers and older and others that I have no idea what they are cause I cant see them like at starbucks, Mcdonalds and other public wifi's.
Every other device like laptops, PS3, nintendo Wii, iphone 4, Tivo DVR box etc.. all connect and work fine but the i5.
You still dont understand that its a widespread problem with many iphone 5's and well documented? That's the reason Apple put out 6.0.2 just for the iphone 5 but it didnt fix anything. Still the same.
Im getting sick of having to restart my iphone 5 about 8-10 times a day to be able to use wifi. And Im affraid if I exchange it I will just get a replacement with the same problems like many others did already.
This is a hardware issue Apple needs to address and hope later iphone 5 models will have a different chip that will work with every router out there like every wifi device should be able to do out of the box.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I dont think you get it.
Its not a router issue or that the router needs an update.
My phone does the same in 4-5 different routers in both open and password protected wifi's. Brand new routers and older and others that I have no idea what they are cause I cant see them like at starbucks, Mcdonalds and other public wifi's.
Every other device like laptops, PS3, nintendo Wii, iphone 4, Tivo DVR box etc.. all connect and work fine but the i5.
You still dont understand that its a widespread problem with many iphone 5's and well documented? That's the reason Apple put out 6.0.2 just for the iphone 5 but it didnt fix anything. Still the same.
Im getting sick of having to restart my iphone 5 about 8-10 times a day to be able to use wifi. And Im affraid if I exchange it I will just get a replacement with the same problems like many others did already.
This is a hardware issue Apple needs to address and hope later iphone 5 models will have a different chip that will work with every router out there like every wifi device should be able to do out of the box.

Why do you have the issues, and I have never had one issue? My iphone 5 connects to every wifi. I have never, ever had a dropped wifi, anywhere. in fact, I know several people who have the iphone 5, and they also have never had a wifi issue anywhere. I don't think it is a widespread issue.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Why do you have the issues, and I have never had one issue? My iphone 5 connects to every wifi. I have never, ever had a dropped wifi, anywhere. in fact, I know several people who have the iphone 5, and they also have never had a wifi issue anywhere. I don't think it is a widespread issue.

Im glad you dont have that issue, its a major pain.
Wish mine was working perfect like that.
Knowing a few local people that dont have wifi issues with their i5 doesnt mean its not a widespread problem. If it wasnt Apple wouldnt have pushed out a wifi only fix firmware update just for the i5 dont you think?
Check out a few of these threads below with tons of people with the same issue?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1449688/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452329/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1518128/

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I suddenly lost my wifi connection at home yesterday. It had been working fine about 1/2 hr before and then wouldn't connect. I had to put the password in multiple times, still wouldn't connect until I turned it off and back on. When I went to work today it would not connect to wifi at work, my boss has an iphone 4 and hers was working so I shut down and restarted and it was fine.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I suddenly lost my wifi connection at home yesterday. It had been working fine about 1/2 hr before and then wouldn't connect. I had to put the password in multiple times, still wouldn't connect until I turned it off and back on. When I went to work today it would not connect to wifi at work, my boss has an iphone 4 and hers was working so I shut down and restarted and it was fine.

Same thing here.
About 7-8 restarts a day:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.