Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Graveyard
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Graveyard Send a message via Skype™ to Graveyard
Voodoo2 in PM G3

After coming back from the holidays, i got some spare time on my hands to take care of some of my "old toys". I finally got a voodoo2 3d card in my PowerMac G3 B&W. I found some extensions for it on the web but it doesn't seem to work. I have MacOS 9.2.2 installed and after installing the extensions, when i boot up the system and i get the desktop, i get a warning saying something about not being able to initialise the library, voodoo environment not present or something like that. I haven't had the chance to use any games that can run on the voodoo2 card so far to see if the setup really works, but if it wasn't working, i wouldn't get the vga signal to pass through it from my p.o.v.
Have any of you ever done this kind of setup before? The extensions i got for the voodoo card are made for os8.x not for 9. Should i try with MacOS 8.x? Do any of you have any useful links related to voodoo2 pci cards in macs? Any ideas would be great. Thank you.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:24 AM   #2
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
After coming back from the holidays, i got some spare time on my hands to take care of some of my "old toys". I finally got a voodoo2 3d card in my PowerMac G3 B&W. I found some extensions for it on the web but it doesn't seem to work. I have MacOS 9.2.2 installed and after installing the extensions, when i boot up the system and i get the desktop, i get a warning saying something about not being able to initialise the library, voodoo environment not present or something like that. I haven't had the chance to use any games that can run on the voodoo2 card so far to see if the setup really works, but if it wasn't working, i wouldn't get the vga signal to pass through it from my p.o.v.
Have any of you ever done this kind of setup before? The extensions i got for the voodoo card are made for os8.x not for 9. Should i try with MacOS 8.x? Do any of you have any useful links related to voodoo2 pci cards in macs? Any ideas would be great. Thank you.
Voodoo card... Sounds interesting
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:37 AM   #3
skinniezinho
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to skinniezinho
Finally someone with voodoo and mac =)
I have a pair of matched voodoo 2 12MB (SLI) and a Voodoo 3 3000 waiting for a PM G3 or very low cost G4 here.
All files you need are here: http://www.falconfly.de/3dfx.htm
You can get help in falconfly forum or 3dfzone.it
I don't know if you know this, but voodoo 2 is only a 3d card, you have to connect it to a 2d card with a vga va cable just like this:
F.A.Q for PowerPC Macs Powerpc Upgrades
skinniezinho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinniezinho View Post
I have a pair of matched voodoo 2 12MB (SLI) and a Voodoo 3 3000 waiting for a PM G3 or very low cost G4 here.
I don't know if you know this, but voodoo 2 is only a 3d card, you have to connect it to a 2d card with a vga va cable just like this:
Where did you get that diagram?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:36 AM   #5
skinniezinho
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to skinniezinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
Where did you get that diagram?
Google images.This is from an ordinary pc with an agp slot.
Of course for a powermac G3 you won't have a AGP video card but a PCI Video Card capable of doing 2D (maybe some ATI Rage).
Here is shown 2 voodoo 2 in SLI mode.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo2
F.A.Q for PowerPC Macs Powerpc Upgrades
skinniezinho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Graveyard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinniezinho View Post
The extensions i tried for the voodoo card, i got from falconfy. And of course i have a 2d card installed and connected to the voodoo2. The thing is, as i said, that i get an error message when the booting sequence is over and i get to the desktop in os9.2.2. Do you know of any games that may make use of the voodoo2 besides quake?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:52 PM   #7
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Wow I haven't heard anyone speak of a Voodoo graphics card in a long time.

Sorry, I have nothing to actually add; I'm just getting lost down memory lane.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:25 AM   #8
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Heres a noob question... Ready? Whats voodoo? I honestly dont know, i get the graphics card part but whats special about it?
ppcfanforever1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:48 AM   #9
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcfanforever1 View Post
Heres a noob question... Ready? Whats voodoo? I honestly dont know, i get the graphics card part but whats special about it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dfx_Interactive
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:13 AM   #10
cyberghoser1
macrumors member

Im not sure if its enough related but i watched that lately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlCkH5v938
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:59 AM   #11
Wildy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcfanforever1 View Post
They were basically the forefathers of hardware 3D graphics acceleration, ie. the graphics card industry. They were purchased by Nvidia and eventually filed for bankruptcy.
Wildy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:41 AM   #12
Graveyard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberghoser1 View Post
Im not sure if its enough related but i watched that lately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlCkH5v938
That video gave me the idea in the first place. But the guy doesn't say what extensions he's using with his card.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:45 AM   #13
666sheep
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
That video gave me the idea in the first place. But the guy doesn't say what extensions he's using with his card.
He said he's using OS 8.6. Extensions are for 8.x, so if OS 9 is no go, try 8.6.
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs